Become a Patron!

Possible nicotine trouble--Help Please

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
Hi: I just bought some Vapers Tek nicotine and have a question. I have used it for 2 years at same mixture from them , VG base 100Mg./ML. I am using my same recipe I have used for over a year. Problem is it had a smell to it and after using it for about 3 weeks I got like a blister in the top of my mouth. It went away and just came back. Now my wife (who uses more nicotine than me) has same thing. She vapes same flavor as me. Nothing else has been changed. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to hear this. I don't recall reading any rave reviews about their products in the past.

If it has an odd smell, that would be a first clue something isn't right.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi: I just bought some Vapers Tek nicotine and have a question. I have used it for 2 years at same mixture from them , VG base 100Mg./ML. I am using my same recipe I have used for over a year. Problem is it had a smell to it and after using it for about 3 weeks I got like a blister in the top of my mouth. It went away and just came back. Now my wife (who uses more nicotine than me) has same thing. She vapes same flavor as me. Nothing else has been changed. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
sounds like herpes simplex or a bacterial infection or maybe leprosy could be many things seek the advice of a qualified health care professional

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have got a blister in my mouth when I've heated up my leftover pizza a bit too hot :)

Seriously, I have to agree with everyone who has said see a doc. And if you really think it's from the nic, stop using it in the meantime ... stranger things have happened. Best of luck with it!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Through the bottle away. Get new nic.... just based on things not smelling right......
Do go to doctor.....
But it could be your nic spoiled or got contaminated.
Stuff is too cheap to figure out what's wrong with it...it's bad.. See Doc get new juice.. deal only with what's wrong with you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just for future's sake, I agree, get a nic test kit. Most of the nic that I have in my freezer is from them, never an issue. For the other, I also agree, see a Dr.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sitting here I am wondering did you freeze this NICOTINE or has it just been sitting on a shelf for the elements to get to?

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In my experience the VapersTek VG based NIC tends to oxidize quicker than other NIC, especially if it's left out. (now I freeze the unused NIC until I'm ready to use it)
Usually if there's an off smell, the NIC is bad or going bad. Is the NIC very yellow or pinkish?

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience the VapersTek VG based NIC tends to oxidize quicker than other NIC, especially if it's left out. (now I freeze the unused NIC until I'm ready to use it)
Usually if there's an off smell, the NIC is bad or going bad. Is the NIC very yellow or pinkish?
Question, I just bought a bottle of VT nic and I am waiting on my glass bottles to arrive to put split it up in but i haven't even opened the bag that the nic came in, or opened the bottle. I put it in the dark closet, pretty cool in the room too. Will it be okay for a couple days? I took it straight in there from the box it was shipped in.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Question, I just bought a bottle of VT nic and I am waiting on my glass bottles to arrive to put split it up in but i haven't even opened the bag that the nic came in, or opened the bottle. I put it in the dark closet, pretty cool in the room too. Will it be okay for a couple days? I took it straight in there from the box it was shipped in.
Personally, I store my NIC in the fridge if I don't have time to split it up. After splitting it up, I then freeze what i'm not using, and fridge the single bottle that I am using.

EDIT: I have a separate fridge and all NIC is labeled as that -- NICOTINE. I don't have any small kids in the house that I have to worry about them getting into it. {DISCLAIMER OF STATEMENT}

However, in a dark room is perfectly fine as well. Don't open it --- that will expose oxygen to the NIC.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, I store my NIC in the fridge if I don't have time to split it up. After splitting it up, I then freeze what i'm not using, and fridge the single bottle that I am using.

EDIT: I have a separate fridge and all NIC is labeled as that -- NICOTINE. I don't have any small kids in the house that I have to worry about them getting into it. {DISCLAIMER OF STATEMENT}

However, in a dark room is perfectly fine as well. Don't open it --- that will expose oxygen to the NIC.
I didn't open it. the bottle is even still in the plastic bag that it came in

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've noticed that the last couple bottles of juice I made seem a bit harsh. I split the 46mg/ml nic up and kept 30ml in a darkened unicorn bottle at room temps (and in a box) and the remainder is in the fridge. I was under the impression that the 'WORKING' bottle of nic didn't need to be refrigerated. The nic is also 100% VG based.

The first couple of bottles of juice that I made about a week ago don't seem harsh at all. I did shake up the nic before transferring to the working bottle and shook the working bottle before using it. The room that the working bottle is kept in is usually between 68 to 77 deg. F. Do you think that the room is too warm or that I possibly didn't shake the bottle up enough?

Last edited:

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've noticed that the last couple bottles of juice I made seem a bit harsh. I split the 46mg/ml nic up and kept 30ml in a darkened unicorn bottle at room temps (and in a box) and the remainder is in the fridge. I was under the impression that the 'WORKING' bottle of nic didn't need to be refrigerated. The nic is also 100% VG based.

The first couple of bottles that I made about a week ago don't seem harsh at all. I did shake up the nic before transferring to the working bottle and shook the working bottle before using it. The room that the working bottle is kept in is usually between 68 to 77 deg. F. Do you think that the room is too warm or that I possibly didn't shake the bottle up enough?
Good question, i am new to this as well and have wondered about the working bottle

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question, i am new to this as well and have wondered about the working bottle

Sounds like many here put their working bottle in the fridge. I had read/heard that others just left it out at room temps. Although my room temps are a bit on the warm side. I've only had the working bottle out for about 10 days. I was just wondering if that was enough time for the temps to make a difference or if it was likely just a lack of mixing on my part.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

The first couple of bottles of juice that I made about a week ago don't seem harsh at all. I did shake up the nic before transferring to the working bottle and shook the working bottle before using it. The room that the working bottle is kept in is usually between 68 to 77 deg. F. Do you think that the room is too warm or that I possibly didn't shake the bottle up enough?

I did the exact same thing with my FIRST bottle of Nicotine --- MISTAKE!

From what I've read here on VU and from the chemist (Krista) that I have spoken with at Wizard Labs (I work 15 minutes away and have a good relationship with WL) --- NEVER STORE NIC IN A PLASTIC BOTTLE.

STORE being the operative word. The vendors ship the NIC in plastic bottles due to costs, that is all. They expect the end user to know that it should be stored in a GLASS bottle (amber / dark preferred).

My working bottle is only out of the fridge long enough to mix my juice and then it goes right back in the fridge. The least amount of air (oxygen) exposure the better.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK ... Thanks. But would 10 days in the bottle at the temps mentioned make that much of a difference? And if so is the working bottle of nic still salvageable?
From what Krista told me, NIC doesn't "go bad" --- it oxidizes. That is what makes it taste "harsh / peppery".

If you can handle the "harsh" then go for it... i personally (and the wife) can't handle it and have to have NIC with zero taste / smell / peppery hit.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From what Krista told me, NIC doesn't "go bad" --- it oxidizes. That is what makes it taste "harsh / peppery".

If you can handle the "harsh" then go for it... i personally (and the wife) can't handle it and have to have NIC with zero taste / smell / peppery hit.
do you refrigerate your working bottle?

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah ... kinda bugs me too. I guess I could drop the nic down a bit and see if that helps. Some testing is definitely in order though. I'm going to make another small batch and really mix the working bottle up to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm assuming that if it is oxidized then putting it in the fridge at this point isn't going to help anything. (Well except for stopping it from oxidizing further I suppose. :rolleyes:)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
is it not hard to suck up VG nic cold lol
VERY HARD! --- I have to let it sit out of the fridge for 30 min (not opened) before mixing in my juice. AND --- remember to shake the hell out of the bottle once it has come down to working temps. The NIC settles / separates from the VG or PG base.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I keep my stored nicotine in the freezer. The "working" bottle, I keep in the fridge unless I'm actually mixing -- the fridge does get opened more than the freezer, but it's mostly closed, so, dark *most* all the time, and kept at 40F. PG and VG and flavors, I keep at room temp, but nic should be kept at least cold and in a dim or dark place, if you're not going to use up an opened bottle within a few days, max.

Andria

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep my stored nicotine in the freezer. The "working" bottle, I keep in the fridge unless I'm actually mixing -- the fridge does get opened more than the freezer, but it's mostly closed, so, dark *most* all the time, and kept at 40F. PG and VG and flavors, I keep at room temp, but nic should be kept at least cold and in a dim or dark place, if you're not going to use up an opened bottle within a few days, max.

Andria
do you put the nic bottle in like a butter container or just leave the bottle out, i only have clear tupperware, i put them in a small shoebox hahahaha

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Only 3mg nic
Same here -- 3% --- I was surprised as well. But yes, very noticeable for us.

do you put the nic bottle in like a butter container or just leave the bottle out, i only have clear tupperware, i put them in a small shoebox hahahaha
I have a plastic Tupperware container that I have all of my NIC bottles in. So far it has been fine (not broken) but at some point it will possibly break (plastic sucks, don't care who makes it). I wanted my glass bottles to be protected by something just in the small case a glass bottle were to break.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same here -- 3% --- I was surprised as well. But yes, very noticeable for us.

I have a plastic Tupperware container that I have all of my NIC bottles in. So far it has been fine (not broken) but at some point it will possibly break (plastic sucks, don't care who makes it). I wanted my glass bottles to be protected by something just in the small case a glass bottle were to break.
a clear container will work?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
oh you have much larger bottles lol. i only have 30 ml, i haven't noticed any difference in leaving my working bottle in the closet, but i will try leaving it in the fridge.
I have the 2oz (60ml) and 4oz (118ml) Boston Round Amber --- got them from Papermart.com
I've found cheaper since then (currently have the best pricing though), but that is what we use for the pure vanilla extract we make (side thing from vaping).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Most of my nicotine is in 30ml brown glass bottles -- since I vape only about 5ml per day, mix up only 55ml every 10 days or so, I need it in small bottles, so that whichever bottle is open can be gotten thru within a reasonable amount of time (to avoid exactly this oxidation problem). I keep the 30ml bottles in the door of my fridge, along with condiments. Since there are no children of ANY age in my home, and my husband can read "100mg nicotine" and the date, he's not likely to mistake my nicotine for anything else.

Once I get to the larger bottles (60ml, 100ml, and 120ml) in which I also have some nic in the freezer, I'll decant 30ml into one of the smaller bottles to use as a "working" bottle, so that the larger amounts don't have to be opened too many times and left in the fridge; though any opening allows air which is the major oxidizer, keeping the remainder at freezer-temp will slow down oxidation a lot better than fridge-temp.

Andria

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is still 3% in a TOTAL of the juice mix (according to the calculators). It is .3ml in a 10ml mix.

upload_2017-3-1_10-28-58.png

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I personally wasn't aware youre supposed to store it in a glass bottle..for the last 3 years ive kept mine in the plastic container its come in but I can honestly say ive not had an issue with the nicotine because of it...no blisters or anything like that..I shake up my container and pull 1ml out of it to put in my 30ml mix for 3% nic...Actually a hair over ..3% would be .9, I just simplify it...The PG/Nic mix is still as clear as the day I bought it.

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK ... So I made up a 10 ml sample with no flavouring. Just 80/20 VG/PG and 3mg nic strength. I shook up the 'working' bottle of nic VERY well before adding it and then shook up the mixture as well. I'm finding it a TAD harsh but not really that bad at all and there's a slight peppery taste but very minimal. I think I'm going to store the working bottle of nic in the fridge for now and do another test against the remaining nic that has been kept in the fridge since I got it. I also added a bit more VG to the last harsh mixtures I made and it seemed to help them a bit.

So now I'm wondering if I just didn't shake the nic up enough before adding it to my mixtures or perhaps some of my flavours are a bit high. I'll be sure to report back after I compare to the nic I've kept in the fridge.

VU Sponsors