Become a Patron!

Post your builds

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3*28g / 38g Alien for some reason photo won't upload.. started out as a spaced Clapton for a SFC but the wire broke. so I stretched it. came out clean as hell. kinda chewed the legs up turning it from a 3.0 5 wrap to a 2.5 6 wrap :/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

edit: yep, upload still fails :(

edit again: working now
af2ff203acdda5865c57dd524787fba6.jpg
6dba11df88a92932d72de3fcf5f3236e.jpg
2ebeedfdf4d0170db26cd581f11d0579.jpg

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3*28g / 38g Alien for some reason photo won't upload.. started out as a spaced Clapton for a SFC but the wire broke. so I stretched it. came out clean as hell. kinda chewed the legs up turning it from a 3.0 5 wrap to a 2.5 6 wrap :/

Too large to process? Over 1mb file size?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

edit again: working now
af2ff203acdda5865c57dd524787fba6.jpg
6dba11df88a92932d72de3fcf5f3236e.jpg
2ebeedfdf4d0170db26cd581f11d0579.jpg

Man you were right, that IS clean as hell, and waaaavy

My aliens are wave-deficient most of the time lol

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man you were right, that IS clean as hell, and waaaavy

My aliens are wave-deficient most of the time lol
thanks meg! it looked better before I wrapped it as a 3mm then turned it into a 2.5mm and mangled it, still my best alien I think. I got lucky :) though I did seem to notice things going a lot easier and smoother stretching a spaced Clapton as opposed to a normal one. gotta love accidents when they turn beneficial lol there's no way to compare my aliens to yours though, c'mon l

edit: oops, wrapped it on a 2.5, then raised it up to a 3.0, then back to 2.5 all without uncoiling lol

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well I made my first hybrid coil, its a 40g fused clapton, .3 ribbon clapton, 40g fused clapton, very simple, very messy, but it is technically a hybrid coil. I could have attempted it again to make it cleaner, but I really just wanted to do it to say I did it. No need to beat a dead horse.:deadhorse:IMG_0892.jpg

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I made my first hybrid coil, its a 40g fused clapton, .3 ribbon clapton, 40g fused clapton, very simple, very messy, but it is technically a hybrid coil. I could have attempted it again to make it cleaner, but I really just wanted to do it to say I did it. No need to beat a dead horse.:deadhorse:View attachment 109630
that's awesome dude!! I still need to check out that ndevine video and take some notes.. I've got one in my head, getting a out time to attempt it

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
that's awesome dude!! I still need to check out that ndevine video and take some notes.. I've got one in my head, getting a out time to attempt it

I appreciate it! I don't really think it's that awesome but like I said I really just wanted to be able to say I did it. Maybe I'll think of a cooler idea and execute a little better next time:D.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tried some meg territory stuff 30 cores and 40 binding
52d60ce6a6ae3c662d4a643b7dc47d9c.jpg

Lähetetty minun Nexus 6P laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Awesome and cute, did you no-stretch that one too? How did you keep the cores flat, if so? I'm still stuck on stretching out all the way, and laying plastic on the floor to keep it from catching the rug, or else I cannot get a clean alien stick :oops:

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Awesome and cute, did you no-stretch that one too? How did you keep the cores flat, if so? I'm still stuck on stretching out all the way, and laying plastic on the floor to keep it from catching the rug, or else I cannot get a clean alien stick :oops:
i use just a ribbon slider and it works for me every time :) yeah nostrech method is my go to now just seems to be so much "easier" in kinda of way when i find the tension to be perfect i just lock my hand and tension in place and then... let it rip :)

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just a heads up there's a set if Raymo clamps for sale in the hardware section. I'd buy them but mine shipped the other day

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I've heard mixed reviews about the clamps. Let me know how you like them when you get yours will ya? I'd love to know what you think. I've been thinking about purchasing them but pondering whether I really need them since I have been doing staple variants for some time now without too much of a problem. I guess we'll seeo_O

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've never done the non-stretch method, I don't even know how too.:oops:

it just takes a lot of consistency in how tightly you hold the wire - I'm not good at consistency, which is why I like to stretch decores as much as possible first, easier for me to just let it slide through rather than keep a constant, firmer tension

must say, if I can get it down, I won't have to worry about my decore snagging on a stepladder like it did yesterday - and higher gauges can easily overstretch if they get caught even for a moment

I usually lay down plastic sheets across the "trail" my decore lies on, feel kinda like a paranoid m*th addict getting ready to cover up some windows or something though hahah

Last edited by a moderator:

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My first janky alien stagg just quick atempt to figure out how i space it ect. Now just tighter spacing on the next one. Goin to prep couple of cores for alien staggs and try to do much better with next ones
20ad49ea91268d5fe05672e4bbfa742b.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My first janky alien stagg just quick atempt to figure out how i space it ect. Now just tighter spacing on the next one. Goin to prep couple of cores for alien staggs and try to do much better with next ones

epic!!! did you no-stretch for this too? I see no jankiness, you didn't even have to roll over it to get the waves to line up did ya?

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
epic!!! did you no-stretch for this too? I see no jankiness, you didn't even have to roll over it to get the waves to line up did ya?
For staggs i stretch it. It's just so much more less of a decore for theese and is easier to space :D they lined up yeah but i rolled a bit anyway i think if you are going to do super tight alien staggs rolling is necessary?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For staggs i stretch it. It's just so much more less of a decore for theese and is easier to space :D they lined up yeah but i rolled a bit anyway i think if you are going to do super tight alien staggs rolling is necessary?

I'd guess so, unless everything was completely perfect in setup :teehee:

danielabas

Member For 1 Year
I've heard mixed reviews about the clamps. Let me know how you like them when you get yours will ya? I'd love to know what you think. I've been thinking about purchasing them but pondering whether I really need them since I have been doing staple variants for some time now without too much of a problem. I guess we'll seeo_O
I’ve used raymo clamp, it works perfectly, for multicores (>3 cores) it helps so much, does not worry about slip from the clamp. 5 out of 5 since i have comparison of the clamp from other vendor, raymo’s definitely is a winner.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Dude that doesn't look Janky at all! It looks beautiful. That's it I'm gonna start practicing this build over the weekend!

danielabas

Member For 1 Year
Yeah i think no-stretch will not work for spacing i find it to me personally just to help make more tighter wraps in regular alien binding and it's just so much more convinient to no-stretch just grab decore and go :)
I found the technique if you want alien spacing, when you decore counter clock wise, when fuse it, do counter clockwise direction ( not clock wise ) it’s easier to do alien spacing IMO. Raymo, any thought?u r the master of alien staggered :D

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
30 cores and 40 binding
nice work, that is a tough build, but it will teach you a lot about making aliens. it took me a lot of tries to get to 30/40 from 28/38, but once i got it i could do 42 and 46 pretty easy.
My first janky alien stagg
very nice :cheers:
if you are going to do super tight alien staggs rolling is necessary?
i almost always forget to roll/pinch mine but i think it helps a lot.
making a series build for my OG Noisy Cricket & Twisted Messes 2..... nice little retro vape ️
3x30ka1/40n80 was my favorite series build for the petri 1.5/nc combo. i might have to put batteries in that setup and use it now lol (pretty sure the petri is still on the nc with those coils in it)...
I tried non stretch once, i did not make it LOL
i find its much easier at 40 gauge or higher. i have never made a clean one in 38 or lower anyway. i guess it depends on the cores you are wrapping and how strong they are as much as the wrap wire itself. smaller gauge wrap is always easier though imo.
No time to try again until Sunday night being addicted to building is rough
thats amazing work :sad: and i agree, not being able to build when you have a build in your head that needs out is very frustrating. those ones are always the best builds (the ones you want to drop everything and go make right nao) and missing them sucks. im kinda going through that right now with an all ribbon alien stagg for some reason....:grumpy:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna steal this idea just so ya know. it's ok though, I'm southern too :) I have those same clothespins too - hobby lobby? lol

oops, forgot to quote the previous thread:/
Ha ha. It was bugging me. I tried everything I could think of in 15 seconds. Lol. In my sleeve and tape to to the hat. You see which one won. Lol

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok got my Raymo clamps. How do you have you swivel side set up. There was a guy who fit a fidget spinner on one but I can't find it. I think the same guy with the red bones bearings. Tapatalk doesn't search well

Raymo usually has his swivel side attached to a piece of wire looped through his swivel and the clamp, that way the wire stack you're working on doesn't twist, the extra piece does.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
5*28/40 sfc... Just one little error makes my ocd jumps thru the roof But then again i did that half blind i dont have any magnifing glasses or lens so i missed that one cuz of that. Need to grab some maginifing lenses or scopes ect

148ef845db72246db57d5b25091272fc.jpg
86ce345aaaadfffbbdd57c20fbe92b77.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For those wondering...KTX is back up in both colors...you know where to go ;)

I found the technique if you want alien spacing, when you decore counter clock wise, when fuse it, do counter clockwise direction ( not clock wise ) it’s easier to do alien spacing IMO. Raymo, any thought?u r the master of alien staggered :D
I have seen alot of people do this and I have tried it myself. It does make the spacing easier as it basically causing the spacing itself but the spacing is almost always more than you want if you want it to be tight together and the Alien swoop is more of a akward "Z" pattern, so they wont match as you start getting closer but the decore stretch matters, less the stretch = less "Z" pattern.

Not bashing any reviews at all, I wish more people were honest with me when I ask for feedback, I dont hear much negative and that sucks, especially when Im able to work on making the product better as we use them.
Ive hear alot of "slipping" problems, the majority of the people have have slipping issues use the clamps from everything from single core claptons to staggertons. The clamps were designed for working on wider builds/staggered nonsense and things that needed to be held together. The people that use the clamps for claptons dont seem to see that a single wire has a much bigger chance of slipping out due to its smooth surface and that makes it much harder to hold by pinching, this is why I continue to tell people to use a loop in their drill chuck for simple builds and leave the clamps for builds that call for them.

Other than slipping I havent heard much, I did fix the issues with screws stripping by adding more meat around the threaded areas on the swivel clamp. I do ask if anyone has any complaints to bring them forward....I would like to make them the best they can be. But at $25 for both clamps its already cheaper than any 3D Printed set and these were built to spin (not jump and sway with speed).

I have plans for Delrin and other material replaceable inserts for the "pockets" in the jaws that will help grip the wire and mold into the groves of the wire the more clamp tension there is....hopefully that solves the rest of the slipping issues in the future.

Last edited:

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
that's very nice dude. I feel you though, I hate missing one or 2 gaps in an otherwise perfect sfc..

I could have taken picture of a coil from the other side then it's wouldn't be visible but i want to be fair to myself and i don't except mistakes i will try this later maybe with 6 cores even :D

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok got my Raymo clamps. How do you have you swivel side set up. There was a guy who fit a fidget spinner on one but I can't find it. I think the same guy with the red bones bearings. Tapatalk doesn't search well

I just use a key ring and hook it on/off the swivel if that helps

Also...helps to attach that clamp first off the swivel....it’s quite a bit more fiddly to centre if you try and do it last or while it’s hooked on

If you are looping frames around the swivel you don’t need the little clamp at all

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

I have seen alot of people do this and I have tried it myself. It does make the spacing easier as it basically causing the spacing itself but the spacing is almost always more than you want if you want it to be tight together and the Alien swoop is more of a akward "Z" pattern, so they wont match as you start getting closer but the decore stretch matters, less the stretch = less "Z" pattern.

Not bashing any reviews at all, I wish more people were honest with me when I ask for feedback, I dont hear much negative and that sucks, especially when Im able to work on making the product better as we use them.
Ive hear alot of "slipping" problems, the majority of the people have have slipping issues use the clamps from everything from single core claptons to staggertons. The clamps were designed for working on wider builds/staggered nonsense and things that needed to be held together. The people that use the clamps for claptons dont seem to see that a single wire has a much bigger chance of slipping out due to its smooth surface and that makes it much harder to hold by pinching, this is why I continue to tell people to use a loop in their drill chuck for simple builds and leave the clamps for builds that call for them.

Other than slipping I havent heard much, I did fix the issues with screws stripping by adding more meat around the threaded areas on the swivel clamp. I do ask if anyone has any complaints to bring them forward....I would like to make them the best they can be. But at $25 for both clamps its already cheaper than any 3D Printed set and these were built to spin (not jump and sway with speed).

I have plans for Delrin and other material replaceable inserts for the "pockets" in the jaws that will help grip the wire and mold into the groves of the wire the more clamp tension there is....hopefully that solves the rest of the slipping issues in the future.

If you want constructive feedback Raymo can give you some on pm?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I always use hot glue on the parts I put in the clamps, after seeing one guy say his wire ate grooves into the clamp. He must be even more macho with his tightening than I am. Trying to be more gentle heh. Hot glue, and If it slips at that point, then I had way too much tension on my swivels anyway :\

I have one screw on the swivel clamp that's stripping, not the threads but where my tool goes in to tighten it

VU Sponsors