Putting a lion suit on a parrot and calling it a lion

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Somebody please explain to me in terms that make perfect sense, what all the fuss is about with clearos that can be rebuilt?
Did we not a LONG time ago invent something called an RBA? It's expressed purpose was to be rebuilt in order to provide the flexibility that was not present in a clearo? What is the point other than "HEY, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!"?
I can rebuild an Orchid TWICE in the time it takes anyone to rebuild the head on an Atlantis or SubTank.
Please help me out with this in a way that does not make you look like you are defending Glamis Castle with a toothbrush.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Somebody please explain to me in terms that make perfect sense, what all the fuss is about with clearos that can be rebuilt?
Did we not a LONG time ago invent something called an RBA? It's expressed purpose was to be rebuilt in order to provide the flexibility that was not present in a clearo? What is the point other than "HEY, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!"?
I can rebuild an Orchid TWICE in the time it takes anyone to rebuild the head on an Atlantis or SubTank.
Please help me out with this in a way that does not make you look like you are defending Glamis Castle with a toothbrush.
Lol. It's so that more products are out there that suck up three times the juice at a fraction of the nic level so that juice vendors can sell three times as much juice at one third the cost.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol. It's so that more products are out there that suck up three times the juice at a fraction of the nic level so that juice vendors can sell three times as much juice at one third the cost.
Valid point...keep 'em coming people!! Educate the Franciscan.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
one would think that rebuilding an atlantis pre-built head is a tad more time consuming than rebuilding the subtank's RBA deck ..

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK perfect example, I rebuild the mother's protank heads. why?
She likes the draw, it works for her and the stock heads are junk as hell.
Orchid, fogger and kayfun have been shot down by her for her use. So I am the one rebuilding (until I get a coiler from RBA supplies) to keep her from the stinkies.

If the design and rebuild works for who is doing it and keeping em from smoking I say good.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
OK perfect example, I rebuild the mother's protank heads. why?
She likes the draw, it works for her and the stock heads are junk as hell.
Orchid, fogger and kayfun have been shot down by her for her use. So I am the one rebuilding (until I get a coiler from RBA supplies) to keep her from the stinkies.

If the design and rebuild works for who is doing it and keeping em from smoking I say good.
Another valid point.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think the OP is talking about rebuilding stock heads. He's talking about all these new tanks out there like the Atlantis that have an RTA mode to them. Am I right? Or am I wrong?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That is my entire point for the thread....to see if I am missing something completely.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't think the OP is talking about rebuilding stock heads. He's talking about all these new tanks out there like the Atlantis that have an RTA mode to them. Am I right?
No...the people that with micro tools and magnifiers trying to coax coils and wicking into the minuscule and NOT expensive head shells.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It goes in the same breath as those mass produced pre built/rebuild heads. if it works for them who am I to judge it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It goes in the same breath as those mass produced pre built/rebuild heads. if it works for them who am I to judge it.
Oh exactly...do as thou wilt....and do not be offended by my head shaking....facepalming....passive aggressive snickering.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I do have a hidden agenda....there are about three members that seem to have a "MUST CUT FRANNI DOWN TO SIZE" issue...probably something that went wrong in their childhood....that should come in here and have their aneurysm and such........forums are about the lulz.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No...the people that with micro tools and magnifiers trying to coax coils and wicking into the minuscule and NOT expensive head shells.
Well they aren't exactly "not expensive". At anywhere from $1 to $3 a head they can get quite costly especially since they don't last very long. Rebuilding cost mere pennies so I would think that's all that's about.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh exactly...do as thou wilt....and do not be offended by my head shaking....facepalming....passive aggressive snickering.
Nah no offense, I just figured out how to rebuild the protank heads to save cash, and they rock on performance.(34 ga 1.5 ohm parallel coils in a pt 1 head)
If she liked fiddely tanks, aspires or the sub tank I am sure I would be rebuilding those for her also.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nah no offense, I just figured out how to rebuild the protank heads to save cash, and they rock on performance.
If she liked fiddely tanks, aspires or the sub tank I am sure I would be rebuilding those for her also.
You are a fine man! She is a lucky lass.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I can't speak for anyone else but myself here. I'm a fairly new vaper (~6 months) and I'm on a pretty strict budget so it's kind of hard for me to go out and spend $50-100 on a device that I've never tried and may not be able to get working properly right off the bat. For me, the subtank is one of the best things I've ever purchased. It works right out of the box on the prebuilt coils but also gives me the opportunity to mess around with the RBA deck and not be shit out of luck if/when I screw up my wicking or build my coils all wonky like. It's definitely not aimed at the pros or the guys that have 100 RDAs/RBAs sitting at home that they can fall back on. And hey, I've been cig free since the day I got it (I was still dual-using for a while) so in my book it's a winner.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't speak for anyone else but myself here. I'm a fairly new vaper (~6 months) and I'm on a pretty strict budget so it's kind of hard for me to go out and spend $50-100 on a device that I've never tried and may not be able to get working properly right off the bat. For me, the subtank is one of the best things I've ever purchased. It works right out of the box on the prebuilt coils but also gives me the opportunity to mess around with the RBA deck and not be shit out of luck if/when I screw up my wicking or build my coils all wonky like. It's definitely not aimed at the pros or the guys that have 100 RDAs/RBAs sitting at home that they can fall back on. And hey, I've been cig free since the day I got it (I was still dual-using for a while) so in my book it's a winner.
Well put...but you also did not mention that you rebuild the wee atty heads...which is the source of my confusion.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well put...but you also did not mention that you rebuild the wee atty heads...which is the source of my confusion.
Haha no I haven't gone that route (yet). Looking at the coils I think it could be done fairly easily, it would definitely be easier than trying to rebuild a PT head which I know a lot of people like doing. I'll probably save my used coils and see if I can get another round or two out of them by rebuilding just to save a few bucks. Again, just my 2 cents. I'm a cheap bastard so if I've already got the gear and all I have to do is put a little time and effort into it I'll rebuild em.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
That is my entire point for the thread....to see if I am missing something completely.

maybe i need to watch too??

i remember when i tinkered with those "rebuildable" throw aways.. where you could change out the wick or coiling.. drove me nuts!! :(
maybe that is why i am stuck on drippers since then.. i just dont know.. :oops:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I understand the question correctly, why mess with a subtank that was not meant to be messed with when there are presently subtanks on the market that are meant to be messed with, the answer is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't know. Personally, if I wanted to rebuild coils, I'd buy a tank with a rebuildable atty.

Certainly, if I wanted a hybrid car for fuel efficiency I don't think I would buy a brand new gasser and add an electric motor. And if I did do it just for hobby, I wouldn't recommend everyone else should do it too.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never rebuilt protank heads when I used them, but I will say one reason might be to save money, whilst continuing to use a tank that's easy as hell to fill on the fly.

That's the ONLY thing I miss about clearos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am a cheap and frugal bastard, while not as bad as my grandfather was.. I get why.
But outside of the cost I can see things and where a slight custom tweak might make the thing preform better.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't rebuild throw away heads. No point in it for me.

I have RTA's. I have RBA's. I'll spend my time building for those. For a few bucks a head, I'll throw them away and buy another.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't rebuild throw away heads. No point in it for me.

I have RTA's. I have RBA's. I'll spend my time building for those. For a few bucks a head, I'll throw them away and buy another.
I can't bring myself to toss serviceable parts away.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I do have a hidden agenda....there are about three members that seem to have a "MUST CUT FRANNI DOWN TO SIZE" issue...probably something that went wrong in their childhood....that should come in here and have their aneurysm and such........forums are about the lulz.

PM me if the spirit moves you:)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If the stock pt 1 heads did not have silica and were total garbage I would not rebuild them.
I for my use am so far past those atties and heads, but alas mom is a die hard, dyed in the wool PT convert.... FOR now until I ninja a gs air on her MVP.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My Grandma was frugal, saved cooking oil and fat and made laundry soap with red devil lye her entire adult life. After she died, I found her secret stash of comic books, her only "sin" LOL. The sale of one of those comic books put my older son through college! Superman #1. She was a rebel in a rebelless world in her youth. I really miss her.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One thing I DISLIKE about Kanger coils, is the silica. When it dry hits, UGH. That shit is like vaping battery acid.

Looking forward to a Sub tank. Burt cotton sucks, but NOT as bad as burnt silica.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One thing I DISLIKE about Kanger coils, is the silica. When it dry hits, UGH. That shit is like vaping battery acid.

Looking forward to a Sub tank. Burt cotton sucks, but NOT as bad as burnt silica.
EXACTLY!! if I could yank the chilia out of the coil without destroying the coil I would, but also it is no so.
I can see it being the same with BV heads and the Kanger sub tanks also.. besides some being like to tinker and fiddle with shit.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I learned to rebuild with the Kanger Protanks, lots of trial and error, but it was a good starting point. I think same could apply to the Atlantis clearomizer. If you can rebuild that, the rest should be all gravy from thereon ;)

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am happy with my low-tech clearomizers. All that I have use the same heads. I have much more time than I have money.
Not saying I wouldn't like to try some of the new stuff, just not in the budget. :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I rebuilt the wee ones, too - for two of us.

I can buy (glass or plastic) tanks and for a couple bucks each. We color code everything, and I vape variety like a crazy person, so there are dozens of those cheap tanks here. But they come with crappy coils in pro-tank-alike heads. So I rebuild them right away. If I can do it once, why not continue? New heads are something under $1 each, but a rebuild is practically free. Partner and I both like very clean vapes and replace heads more than would seem reasonable. I just toss them in pile and rebuild as I talk on the phone or something - pretty quick process for me. I never have to order more or keep track of stock. I have tanks, wire, wick, and tiny parts to last through 5 vapocalypses.

VU Sponsors