Become a Patron!

quadriplegic needing help

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hi all

I Think it's best Just to let people know a little bit about myself and the situation i'm in & what i need.
I got run over by a car when i was 16 in 1998 i was 16 at the time. The broke my neck,lacerated liver,ruptured spleen,9 ribbs broke,punktured & collapsed lung's & a few other injuries to go along with lol.

The broken neck left me paralyzed from the neck down no movement in my hands or arms at all.
I've bought all the ecigs that look like cigarettes,pipes & cigars but they are like breathing fresh air,i was smoking 60 cigarettes a day so as you can imagine i need something that will give me a good kick at the back of throat its so difficult & frustrating to find what i'm looking for,i'm ok when there's somebody with me i've got an Eleaf Istick with Kanger pro tank 3.

When i'm on my own i have a metal pipe that comes up to my mouth which holds a pipe that goes into a glass/jug.
I have one of them shitty blu ecigs that again are like breathing fresh air (excuse me people who use them) so i'm looking for an ecig or mod if there is one out there that has a draw automated battery or whatever will work on the same principal & will give me that good hit on back of my throat.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Kindest Regards

Neal

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry to hear about the accident, good to see you haven't given up on life but showing it that you're strong!

Now as for a mod they're all the same with push button mechanics. BUT there are mech mods like the celt by vape tornado which trigger from the bottom. You could place it into something to hold it up, place the drip tip into your mouth and then push it with your head against something to trigger it. Hope that idea helps you a bit.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry to hear about your situation :( The only two things I know to suggest are to either up your nic level (along with a good flavor) or let your nic oxidize. It's not easy to find, but you can get as strong as 36mg nicotine liquid to refill those cig-a-like sticks with. That's what I was using when I was using those types of devices (I was a two pack a day smoker). You can also let your nicotine refill liquid age some (by being exposed to air) which will make the nicotine oxidize, which makes it yellow in color and makes it harsher (more throat hit), which would help even more with the lower nic level liquid.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the forum, Neal...You've come to the right place for assistance with your questions, Congrats on getting off the smokes. Wishing you much success finding just the right gear that will work for you!!!

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There has to be a way to rig a switch, even with voice commands. Alexa hit me. (Amazon Echo lol)

In the mean time, there are variable volt auto batteries at Vapor4life.

http://www.vapor4life.com/store/dial-a-volt-variable-voltage-ecig-auto

I'm sure others sell them too.

Not what you are dreaming of but you could rig up adapters to make any 510 tank work or refill your own LR cartomizers. You aren't going to get power hits, but probably much better then a blu.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here we go, get a passthru.

http://www.vapor4life.com/store/auto-passthrough-e-cig

It puts out a consistent 5V from a USB wall wart with no battery. Put a KR(whatever they are) to 510 adapter on it and your favorite tank. Get or build atomizers to match the 5V and your vaping pleasure, clamp it somewhere you can reach it, and you are in business.

I suggest if this works for you to buy extras. The passthrus are not known to last very long. Back in the days, I had pretty good luck with mine and often used it in my car.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm there was that forced air mod.. if it could be rigged up for voice or puff command might be of more help.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Needs some sort of swing arm and a mount to keep it in reach.

@Shark Vape ...im going to assume hes using something like a "talk to text /type ,sort of device...could be wrong though.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm kinda hoping he has at least some use of his hands. For a seriously handicapped person,
it's gotta be more than about actuating the fire button. I would think it'd be about independence.
He says he has an eLeaf... How is that button getting pressed?

Bump to the OP... Please respond...
From his OP, has no movement below neck and only uses eleaf when has someone available to assist with it. :(

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@neal1981: I presume you do mouth to lung? Or can you do lung draws also? (or do you want to be able to?)

I'm asking because I went see my local electronics lab today to find out what sort of differential pressure sensor I could use, and clearly we think a mouth-to-lung draw would generate much less pressure for less time - meaning different constrains on the design.

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wow i can't believe the amount of replies,warm welcomes & help thanks everybody!!

I'm not exactly einstein when it comes to mods ect all i need is an ecig not lung vaping i only breath with a third of my lungs hence why i've stopped smoking most quadriplegic's these days die from respiratory problems all i'm after is something that will give me a good kick at the back of my throat.

Giraunt I haven't got any movement in my hands at all so thats that out of window,i don't like it when i have to suck for a long time also i've tryed different heads with the air holes can be adjusted useless to me i can't do the lung vaping i'm after something more like drawing on a cig.

This is how i use the computer ect ignore the ugly mug shot lol

Attachments

• 20150713_141228.jpg
    20150713_141228.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20150713_141240.jpg
    20150713_141240.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 99

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
btw i'm not familiar with all the short text eg KR,OP.

Don't be sorry about my accident i'm well over that lol shit happens,no choice apart from pukker up & getting down about it.
Don't get me wrong i have my good days & bad just like any able bodied person, i can't move but i still get up into my wheelchair & get chucked into my cars i can't drive but i still get thrill of the power of my cars i love it.
I'm just waiting for one of my cars just had bigger turbo's forged engine parts ect

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]Giraunt I haven't got any movement in my hands at all so thats that out of window,i don't like it when i have to suck for a long time also i've tryed different heads with the air holes can be adjusted useless to me i can't do the lung vaping i'm after something more like drawing on a cig.[...]

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Ok well, I put something together quickly this evening. Basically a long drip tip with a spring-loaded magnetic plunger inside that gets sucked out when the user draws on it, with a sensitive Hall-effect sensor on the outside. But I have 2 problems with it:

- If I make the spring light enough to mouth-draw comfortably, it'll trigger the mod if it's upside down, just because of the weight of the plunger.

- I have to figure out a way to secure the tiny neodymium magnet at the end of the plunger properly, so it doesn't go flying into the airflow and lodge itself in the user's lungs. I'm not comfortable at all with this.

So it needs a bit of a rethink. I think I will try grafting the sensor to an atomizer's air intake.

Here's another question for you: are you happy with the tight draw of a cigalike? Or are you after something looser? I'm not taking about vape quality or flavor here, just the air draw. I'm asking because if a cigalike provides a draw that you like, I might simply reuse a cigalike's head as a sensor.

By the way, if my contraption works, I'll post a video. If you want it after watching the video, I'll mail it to you. But I want it to be safe first. What I put together this evening gives me the willies...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't be sorry about my accident i'm well over that lol shit happens,no choice apart from pukker up & getting down about it.

I ain't sorry for you. I do voluntary work at my local association for the blind - and have done for many years - so I know better than to conflate a person and their disability. But if I can help and it's a fun project for me, I'm happy to. As a matter of fact, the only reason I started working at the association is because I figured it'd be fun to learn Braille. Call me strange :)

Demps64

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Giraut, check out springfieldpipes.com. He makes full auto epipes, it does require you to touch the pipe with your hand as well as your mouth but you may be able to tweak the design a little to make it work for the OP. I haven't dealt with Springfield pipes but the owner is quite active with his customers on another forum and might we open to helping out if he heard about the situation you are trying to overcome. Best of luck with your task at hand, hope we can help out a fellow vaper in need.

tomo2882

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes he has an eleaf which I press for him when I around
OTE="Shark Vape, post: 563195, member: 20486"]I'm kinda hoping he has at least some use of his hands. For a seriously handicapped person,
it's gotta be more than about actuating the fire button. I would think it'd be about independence.
He says he has an eLeaf... How is that button getting pressed?

Bump to the OP... Please respond...[/QUOTE]
Yes

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Demps64: thanks, I'll check it out.

There are other solutions too, if the OP wants a looser draw - such as pinching the drip tip to trigger the mod. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sip/puff interface. I'll see how DIY turns out first. It's more fun to DIY :)

tomo2882

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Neal1981 is an old school man like myself ,,,,, he likes to be treated like other do,,,, help the people he can ,,,, I am the same ,,,,,, he has spent ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ on bloody exits it's unreal ,,,,,, hes after a self puff cig ( no button ) ,,,,, everyone hes tried having been worth their money
I visit him everyday and help anyway I can
Pleaseeeeeee someone must no somewhere or someone to get him a good ecig ,,,
He needs this ecig for the night time wen hes alone ,,,,, any help would be amazing

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SHAR VAPE read the message you tit somebody holds it for me hence why i need a draw activated ecig.
Tommo882 is my best mate ask him!!
If i could pick my nose i'd flick snot at you!

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
lmao that was dangerous it felt like was breathing in in freezer bloody dangerous that stuff! i don't know how how you do it & you say mines strong:eek::eek::oops::oops:

tomo2882

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lmao matey ,,,,, any luck with them tanks?

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tomo not yet matey hoping one of these pro's can help me out.

Giraut i've just posted on your profile page without even looking on this thread like a nob sorry about that.
Yeah i can't stand it when people feel sorry for me or pity me.. some people can't helpi like you said its a project for you & hopefully get something working for me.

I don't like to feel like i'm sucking through a straw more like the typical cigalike but with a good hit on throat.
If you can do something like that it would be awesome buddy!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Honestly pulling for @Giraut to figure something out. Hell if anyone can I sure it would be him, since it seems he is on the right path.
Hell I still think a direct air injection system would work rather well also, it would make drawing a bit easier.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Giraut - I'm pretty sure I have some old, auto-firing 901 batteries around here if you want me to send some your way to tinker with. If so, just PM me.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Giraut - I'm pretty sure I have some old, auto-firing 801 batteries around here if you want me to send some your way to tinker with. If so, just PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I have a bunch of autofire batteries in my box of junk too, so I'll destroy those before asking you to give money to the postman :)

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the offer. I have a bunch of autofire batteries in my box of junk too, so I'll destroy those before asking you to give money to the postman :)
Okie doke. If you should change your mind, just let me know. If memory serves, I have both the vacuum activated and sound activated, but it's been 5 or 6 years since used a 901 cigalike, so can't remember for sure. (in prev. post typed 801 by mistake; too tired, long day; they're 901s)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is, I have a plan to make this device able to deliver a very loose draw as well as a tight one, so that it would be of interest to Neil and my own lazy ass as well :) To my knowledge, none of the commercially-available automatic ecigs are designed for deep lung inhales.

If my next prototype works, it should require no more than 5 easy-to-find parts, to be able to autofire a mod with any 22mm atomizer with a side airhole. Stay tuned...

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Didn't mean to offend you @neal1981. (and for the life of me I still can't find the bold part in the OP.)

The reason for my question was centered around the possibility (and my hope) that there could be a better
(more mechanical) firing method than a draw sensor. Apologies if I came off any other way.
No problem mate i was chuckling ii don't get offended easily,what do you mean the bold part OP? no problem buddy lol

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly pulling for @Giraut to figure something out. Hell if anyone can I sure it would be him, since it seems he is on the right path.
Hell I still think a direct air injection system would work rather well also, it would make drawing a bit easier.
Giraut does sound like he really know's his stuff, i just get so frustrated & worked up at night when there's nobody about to give me a drag of my ecig talk about stressing out.

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The thing is, I have a plan to make this device able to deliver a very loose draw as well as a tight one, so that it would be of interest to Neil and my own lazy ass as well :) To my knowledge, none of the commercially-available automatic ecigs are designed for deep lung inhales.

If my next prototype works, it should require no more than 5 easy-to-find parts, to be able to autofire a mod with any 22mm atomizer with a side airhole. Stay tuned...
I haven't got a clue what half of what you said lol but you know what's what,i don't suck like you would suck on a bong if you know what I mean i suck like you would on a cigarette.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't got a clue what half of what you said lol but you know what's what,i don't suck like you would suck on a bong if you know what I mean i suck like you would on a cigarette.

Yeah, I have a fair idea of what it's like to suck on a cigarette :)

Thing is though, sucking on a cigalike - which is supposed to simulate the sensation of a real cigarette - is nothing like it, primarily because you have to draw longer and allow for some lag between the moment you start pulling vapor and the moment you get it.

As for direct lung hits, it's done with the air holes wide open, which provide little to no resistance in the airflow: essentially you take a lungful of air and vapor entirely through the atomizer. Kind of like a bong I guess, but it's definitely completely different from a cigarette.

The trouble with that, as far as a sip interface is concerned, is that there's little pressure differential to work with between the atmosphere and the drip tip when there's almost no airflow restriction, so the sensor needs to be much more sensitive. It's perfectly doable with an active sensor (piezo or something), but I don't want to turn it into a hugely complicated system. KISS principle and all that...

But wait a little, I have me an idea that should work well to get a fair amount of airflow (or not) and a reliable sip fire switch at the same time. If only my stupid job left me more free time...

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No problem mate i was chuckling ii don't get offended easily,what do you mean the bold part OP? no problem buddy lol
He's referring to the part of my post that he quoted, where I said, "only uses eleaf when has someone available to assist". He's saying that he still doesn't see that in your OP (original post).

@Shark Vape - it's derived from a combination of these two parts: ". . . left me paralyzed from the neck down. . ." and ". . . when there's somebody with me i've got an Eleaf Istick with Kanger pro tank 3. When i'm on my own i have a metal pipe that comes up to my mouth. . ." ;)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay I have a thing working that gives as much air as Subtank Mini on the smaller airflow setting, and trips the sensor without fail. But again, it doesn't have a return spring so it's not safe if the plunger isn't kept vertical. And if I add a spring, then it becomes really hard to suck from. I'll open it up some more, but it really only works great if the plunger is pulled down by gravity alone.

@neal1981: I think the easiest for me and you would be if I made a heavy-ish tabletop setup, composed of a modified mod (say a iStick 30W), a modified tank (say a Subtank) and the sensor, enclosed in a box that would be always be kept right side up. The box could be connected permanently to the mains for power, and would have a vinyl tube for you to vape out of. If I were to build that device, I'm already 80% confident it'd work right, and I could have it done quite soon.

Question #1: would you like a setup like that, or are you after something different?

Question #2: if you want me to build it for you, would you pay for all the elements I need to put it all together, and then for shipping the complete setup to you?

Question #3: would your buddy @tomo2882 be able to set you up, especially with placing the tube for you, and/or cutting/modifying the tube to suit your need, or even replacing the tube with a completely different one? I have no idea how you're installed, so I'd have to ship the thing with a generic flexible tube. I suppose it'd have to be attached to some kind of stand so that you can reach it, but of course I ain't gonna do it through the intarwebs :)

The reason I'm asking you all this now is because, at this point, I think a good sip sensor solution with a satisfying draw would involve a stationary mod and sensor. If you're not happy with that idea, I reckon there isn't much point in goofing with the sip sensor prototype any further. Then the other solution is to build a drip tip with a switch that you can squeeze with your teeth to fire the mod. It would be simpler to build and would only require modifying the mod, but you'd have to use your teeth.

In any case, if you want me to go ahead with the sip sensor idea, I'll only ask you to invest in vape gear when I'm confident it all works satisfactorily. I'm not done testing.

What do you prefer?

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay I have a thing working that gives as much air as Subtank Mini on the smaller airflow setting, and trips the sensor without fail. But again, it doesn't have a return spring so it's not safe if the plunger isn't kept vertical. And if I add a spring, then it becomes really hard to suck from. I'll open it up some more, but it really only works great if the plunger is pulled down by gravity alone.

@neal1981: I think the easiest for me and you would be if I made a heavy-ish tabletop setup, composed of a modified mod (say a iStick 30W), a modified tank (say a Subtank) and the sensor, enclosed in a box that would be always be kept right side up. The box could be connected permanently to the mains for power, and would have a vinyl tube for you to vape out of. If I were to build that device, I'm already 80% confident it'd work right, and I could have it done quite soon.

Question #1: would you like a setup like that, or are you after something different?

Question #2: if you want me to build it for you, would you pay for all the elements I need to put it all together, and then for shipping the complete setup to you?

Question #3: would your buddy @tomo2882 be able to set you up, especially with placing the tube for you, and/or cutting/modifying the tube to suit your need, or even replacing the tube with a completely different one? I have no idea how you're installed, so I'd have to ship the thing with a generic flexible tube. I suppose it'd have to be attached to some kind of stand so that you can reach it, but of course I ain't gonna do it through the intarwebs :)

The reason I'm asking you all this now is because, at this point, I think a good sip sensor solution with a satisfying draw would involve a stationary mod and sensor. If you're not happy with that idea, I reckon there isn't much point in goofing with the sip sensor prototype any further. Then the other solution is to build a drip tip with a switch that you can squeeze with your teeth to fire the mod. It would be simpler to build and would only require modifying the mod, but you'd have to use your teeth.

In any case, if you want me to go ahead with the sip sensor idea, I'll only ask you to invest in vape gear when I'm confident it all works satisfactorily. I'm not done testing.

What do you prefer?
Sounds good to me mate will i have to suck for a long time or will it be alot longer than i'me used to? i can't do the lung vapes it would probably kill me if it will be like that I won't be able to use it,if i can get a good hit a the back of my throat & nicotine in my blood without sucking to hard i'm a happy camper!:hurray:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds good to me mate will i have to suck for a long time or will it be alot longer than i'me used to?

That's what I don't know yet. With an extra tube at the end of the atomizer, there's more air to suck out to get to the vapor once it starts being generated my the atomizer. Also, there's more air you have suck out to trigger the sip sensor - and air is elastic. A mouthful is not a huge volume, and if half of it is air from the tube, the device is useless.

Normally, you want to column of air between you and the atomizer to be as short as possible, to make vapor production more immediate. I need to test an atomizer with the sensor installed and an extra tube after the drip to find out if it'll work right.

Can you tell me roughly how far you expect the device to be from your face, so I can have an idea of how long the tube will need to be?

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I don't know yet. With an extra tube at the end of the atomizer, there's more air to suck out to get to the vapor once it starts being generated my the atomizer. Also, there's more air you have suck out to trigger the sip sensor - and air is elastic. A mouthful is not a huge volume, and if half of it is air from the tube, the device is useless.

Normally, you want to column of air between you and the atomizer to be as short as possible, to make vapor production more immediate. I need to test an atomizer with the sensor installed and an extra tube after the drip to find out if it'll work right.

Can you tell me roughly how far you expect the device to be from your face, so I can have an idea of how long the tube will need to be?
I would say 18-24 inch mate

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm that is longish. Lemme play around with the hardware I have, to see how this'll work best. I might be able to come up with an even lighter and airier sensor.

neal1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
getting pissedoff with these ecigs today no matter what i try i can't get a hit on the back of my throat i've got the eleaf 20w protank 3 with a 2.5ohm coil n still not getting that bloody hit!!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
getting pissedoff with these ecigs today no matter what i try i can't get a hit on the back of my throat i've got the eleaf 20w protank 3 with a 2.5ohm coil n still not getting that bloody hit!!

I wonder if a higher level of nicotine would help?

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi and welcome.
The "draw automated battery" you refer to is only available on the cheapies. I know of no decent mod with that capability.

In order to try to help, exactly what movements are you capable of? I see you can type. Do you have some hand dexterity?... forearm?
It seems like actuating the fire button would be a relatively minor issue compared to refilling.
Also, what is your budget?

A mod can be made to his liking, with an automatic draw and gooseneck so he can turn his head and vape, if he pleases. Its not that expensive. IMO, The OP needs do go sub ohm also in order to achieve a satisfying hit..

To the OP, Right on, nice to meet you, Welcome!!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back to my original idea: I managed to make a drip tip with a sensor that works safely in any position. But now it's TOO airy for a mouth draw :)

Tomorrow I need to go see a customer abroad, so I'll have no time. But Friday I'll make another one - hopefully the final design. With this one, there will be no need for a special base or anything. Just a modified mod.

Sorry it's taking so long, I just don't have much time to work on this.

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Gang! I was reading Your posts last night and thought about Ya all day and I had the idea of the "bite Switch",Giraut!.... reading this thread and saw Your post and laffed!.... I think it could be just a inter connect like a screw on volt tester that I have with some bite action switch on the drip tip...Any atomizer could be used then and yes a stronger Nic would help with the "T/H"....Z

VU Sponsors