Become a Patron!

Question for you high power vapers

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I've had this 30W mod for close to a week now,. Out of curiosity, I've been trying to enjoy vaping at high power, and it's not working out for me: my lungs just don't seem to take the strain for very long. When I vape above 20W, I can only take about ten tokes before feeling very heavy in the chest and scratchy in the throat, to the point of coughing. Then I need to quit vaping for half an hour. I feel almost exactly like having smoked too much during the day, and it's not a pleasant feeling.

It's not really a problem, I just back down to my usual 5-15W and I'm a happy camper again. But I'm curious: with all these talks of 30, 40, 50, 100+ watt mods, are there really people who chain-vape at these power levels? I mean, I could see myself taking the equivalent of cigarette breaks at high power (5 minutes and then quit for a while), but I can't imagine vaping like this for extended periods of time.

If you vape at high power, I'd be interested to know your vaping routine.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I found the juice that I vaped in my nautilus that were 6-12mg 50/50 I can't vape in my orchid or drip. When I do high power vaping I go to 3mg and 70/30 or 80/20. The lower nic will help with the sickness and throat hit. The lower PG will help with the throat hit.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried it with 3 mg, unflavored VG. No sickness, just that I've-smoked-way-too-much soreness. It goes away though, unlike when I used to smoke way too much :)

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Are you drinking much water? VG turns into sugar when vaped and creates lactic acid (I think that's it. Science hurts.) which can cause cramps or sickness similar to to much sugar. Drinking more water will help with that. It could be that the massive vapor may not be for you. I know most people I vape with don't like the massive amount of vape I do or like it as warm as I do.

Last edited:

vapopat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm at 2 ohm 30watt great cloud and at 6 mg pretty satisfying just waiting on a bigger mod to try it higher ;)

vapopat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm at 2 ohm 30watt great cloud and at 6 mg pretty satisfying just waiting on a bigger mod to try it higher ;)
By the way I usually drip at 0.3/0.4 ohm and 30w doesn't get me higher volt then a mech so my cloupor regulate at 4v and you don't just get use to it you get to enjoy those huge puff to the point of letting nautilus aerotank and other such premaid coiled tank sleep in the back of the shelve

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I recently got a 100 watt box mod and run it between 40 and 60 watts. Chain vape like crazy with it too.

When I first started to subohm with RDAs I had the same reaction. That was doing mouth to lung hits. When I started doing direct lung hits, AND lowering my nic, AND making my own juice everything was okay. I still think it was mainly the vendor juice. The stuff I make is usually well under 10% flavoring and has a cleaner feel to it. I make all mine with only VG, so the only PG is whatever is in the flavorings.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My standard rig is a dual 18650 box with a dual coil setup (6 wraps of 22g on a 2mm mandrel for a total of .19ohms) 80% vg juice @ 6mg. Lately this has been on a Doge at 50% wide open.
I also do a similar setup on a Vulcan, vaped at 75watts on a Siggy box.
In both cases I get fantastic flavour and great clouds (Vulcan) to ridiculous clouds (Doge)......mild and lush.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Yes stick with 3mg if you can... and guzzle water whenever you remember :) Increase VG to MAX if you can.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mind posting a pic of your build?

If 5w is getting you a fantastic vape, going up to 30w on that same build is a pretty large margin. As 7Munster mentioned, 32g wire is a bit too thin IMHO for such high wattages, let alone for a dripper. Personally, I don't think you need to go as low as 22 or 20 g wire, 28g is plenty for most in dual coil mode.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, 5W gives me a pretty thin vape, but sometimes I go down to that level, if I just want the taste and very little vapor - stealth vaping, or just before hitting the sack in the evening. Usually I'm around 10W, 15W for a bit more cloud coverage, and 20W for the occasional full-flavor lung hit.

I'll shoot a picture of my build (I don't have a camera here at work) but it's completely unimpressive. I'm very happy with the wire gauges and coils I use: they're the result of much experimenting, and they work great for me, both in terms of flavor and vapor production. Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I sure ain't gonna change nothing :)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're not willing to adjust your build to handle higher power, then what's the point of this thread? Not trying to be rude, I just don't understand.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want to handle higher power. I was just wondering how others did it, and how their lungs and throats coped :) Going high power was just an experiment for me: since got me a mod that's a tad more powerful that what I'm used to, I figured I might as well give it a try. But I'm a low power sort of vaper at core.

EDIT: just so I'm clear, I find the vape at high power great with my current setup - the vape is thick and rich in flavor. It's just that I can't seem to be able to vape like that for very long.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depending on where you get your nic, some have a very peppery taste to nothing.
Also how clean your vg and pg are.
Try 5-10 flavorings or less and lowering the ohms.
Also wide bore tip will keep the air flowing and not restricting your inhale.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, my nic tastes peppery. But then, so do all my nic juices from 3rd party vendors. Matter of fact, I've never tasted juice that isn't peppery if it contains any amount of nic.

I don't vape PG. My VG nic base comes from a very reputable German supplier, and my plain VG from my chemist. But I feel the same heaviness in the chest with any juice I vape at high power - be it commercial or DIY.

I could try a wider bore tip. Mine is pretty loose, and I also inhale through my nose when I take a lung hit, to dilute the vape further, but it might be worth a try. I'd have to get me one of them friction-fit plastic tips though, as my current metal drip tips are as wide as they get with an O-ring.

As for lowering the resistance, I'm not sure how that'd help, but it doesn't cost much to try I guess.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At higher power (34 - 40W) I like to inhale fairly hard through a nice, wide air hole. I find that mixing cool air with the hot vapor helps keep the hit pleasant.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about if you vaped manufactured e-juice, like AlphaVape, SpaceJam, etc... Do you still get the heavy chest symptoms?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I've made a bottle of 2 mg unflavored VG and it seems to be much easier on my insides. Maybe that's the key: more vape, less nic, to maintain the same amount of nic per lungful.
I also have a old bottle of manufactured no-nic juice that seems to pass better as well. But it contains PG and that irritates the hell out of me anyway.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started DIY, I was using "food grade" VG that I got from a health food store. Now that I've tried other brands, looking back, it was pretty nasty stuff; it gave a musty background flavor to everything I mixed it with as well as a sort of "heavy" feel like you described.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get similar symptoms to the OP. I have dropped my nic level to 3mg and keep my wattage low. This solves the issue for me. My thought is that all people have difference tolerance levels for ingested substances...for example, I take pediatric doses for meds - I just have a low threshold. So, maybe it is the same kind of thing with vaping?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What about if you vaped manufactured e-juice, like AlphaVape, SpaceJam, etc... Do you still get the heavy chest symptoms?
Boy, I sure did with Space Jam juice!

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can't use space jam in an RDA or RTA. I liked it in my Nautilus though.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried Space Jam in an RDA a while back, Astro @ 6mg nic. The TH was wayyyy too intense for me, dunno if the nic level was off or it was the PG content, but I didn't notice any heavy chest symptoms. Then again, couldn't inhale as much Space Jam because of the TH ;)

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I tried Space Jam in an RDA a while back, Astro @ 6mg nic. The TH was wayyyy too intense for me, dunno if the nic level was off or it was the PG content, but I didn't notice any heavy chest symptoms. Then again, couldn't inhale as much Space Jam because of the TH ;)
Space Jam is a 50/50 mix... Could have been the pg

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
As for "High Wattage" vaping! If I'm out with my friends I once in a blue moon during *vape & bowl*, rock a .05ohm build *... Which in sense is 352.8watts & 84amps!!! Thank God for Sony & Samsung Batteries :p

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. More power definitely calls for lower nic. I think that part has been established.

2. I personally find higher-gauge wire gets a little too hot too quick and burns my wicking material - for that reason I'm normally in the 24-26g range, but if you really love your 32g, stick with it Giraut!

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to experiment without buying new wire, try twisting 3 or 4 strands of 32 gauge together. This will make it work like 26 gauge or 28 gauge wire. All in all if you find a way that works for you, whether it is 5 watts or 200 watts, as long as it keeps you off cigarettes, it is a win!

CV :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right you are @Chainvapor. Whenever I'm not 100% happy with my vapes (and it's not very often), all I have to do is remind myself that I could be smoking instead.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drip 100% at a time, I vape from .1 and up, i use 6mg 50-50 to 60-40 pg ratio, the throat hit will make you not chain vape...
Chain vapers vape too much cuz they try to get the Nicotine high...
Remember most of us smokers never chain smoke...
Im a cloud chaser,throat hit junky not a chain vaper...
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415301978.903649.jpg
DO THIS! "Nectar" by Merkury never tasted so intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors