Become a Patron!

Question??? is this Possible

nukeum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK i have a question, and am wondering if it is even possible to have a box made to fit specifications for a mod that has been in my head for quite a few weeks.

I was thinking about a box mod that could take 2 different power sources for example 3 x 18560 or 2 X 26650 (i think that would work for sizing) anyway, is it even possible to build a box mod to work within those parameters, where you can use 2 different battery types/sizes depending upon application/where and when you are using it, i know 26650's are really not great for Super Sub Ohm but a Triple 18650 in parallel would be (am i correct, or would it be in series) I didn't know where to turn with this question.

Thanks

nukeum

Really wondering about this, if it is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I will search elsewhere - and figure out where to put this

Last edited by a moderator:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the battery boxes are different sizes, so unless it was built with swappable battery boxes, I would say no. Interchangeable battery boxes might be a pretty good idea however, I'm sure that there is a modder who could get that implemented. You should ask a moderator to take this thread over to the builders corner.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a triple 18650 and a dual LiPo box...but as far as interchangeability....not that I've ever seen. The sled would have to have a slider like with a battery charger.

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If running parallel, could be possible with copper plates as the contacts, one for POS one for NEG. You might have to spring load one side. I don't have any 26650s on hand, but should be same length as 18650s, give or take, and springs should compensate for the difference. 18*3=54 and 26*2=52, so width-wise are pretty close. Depth-wise might cause an issue with the 18650s, but some sort of contoured block to be used when in 18650 mode should secure them, possibly a thin spacer to prevent lateral wiggle in 26650 mode. You'll have a few more parts to swap along with the batteries, and some fabrication to do.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK i have a question, and am wondering if it is even possible to have a box made to fit specifications for a mod that has been in my head for quite a few weeks.

I was thinking about a box mod that could take 2 different power sources for example 3 x 18560 or 2 X 26650 (i think that would work for sizing) anyway, is it even possible to build a box mod to work within those parameters, where you can use 2 different battery types/sizes depending upon application/where and when you are using it, i know 26650's are really not great for Super Sub Ohm but a Triple 18650 in parallel would be (am i correct, or would it be in series) I didn't know where to turn with this question.

Thanks

nukeum
Electrically its possible feasible I would not do it... as others said I would just do dual 26650's thats on my list maybe in December I think 3 batteries is just silly not making fun of you just the size is starting to resemble a car battery that may be a better bet or a motorcycle battery :)

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Electrically its possible feasible I would not do it... as others said I would just do dual 26650's thats on my list maybe in December I think 3 batteries is just silly not making fun of you just the size is starting to resemble a car battery that may be a better bet or a motorcycle battery :)

3*18650 ~ 18mm*650mm*54mm or 631800 mm cubed. 2*26650 ~ 26mm*650mm*52mm or 878800 mm cubed (plus wrappings and contacts, but those are roughly equivalent). 2*26650 is roughly 39% more volume than 3*18650.

nukeum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the answers, looks like it is a no, so i won't even try such a thing, i will stick to separate boxes

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw this on FB today...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K477YW...20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

aa_battery-jpg.8403

Attachments

• aa_battery.jpg
    aa_battery.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 96

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i was thinking the same thing, like a negative buss bar/spring and positive bus bar/ spring.that way you can put any 650 battery that can fit in the box. next thing to address is the size of the box. it would need to be big enough to house 26650 and just use plastic spacers for (3)18650 mode. but it is doable.

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hardly seems worth the trouble. You want a sled that will hold the cells tighly.

Why not just a 3 X 18650 parallel setup? Those boxes are rather inexpensive and easy to work with. The advantage is it will work with 1, 2 or 3 cells. Another advantage is that as you add a cell you will also be lessening the initial voltage sag/drop more with each added. Finally you can add USB inbuilt charging.

61378Z8oCGL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Holder-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Batteries/dp/B00GYWO13K

Hello Nukeum , you decision not to try these experiment is good as all suggested its not practically possible and according to me separated boxes you use is best idea for this.

VU Sponsors