Become a Patron!

Question on watts and flavor

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
I presently have a Ace Smok unit with a Aspire Nautilus tank. The Smok unit uses 1 18650 battery and goes up to 15 watts. I am going to buy the Kangertek sub mini box combo that goes to 50 watts. I've been told more watts equals more flavor and cloud. I do mouth to lung vaping. If what I was told is true how does it work without making the vape air very hot?

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wouldn't go anywhere near 50 watts on an Aspire Nautilus... it's been a while since I used one but as far as I remember the highest I could go was about 12/13 watts without choking on burning wick. I'm assuming the 'Kangertek sub mini box combo' includes a subtank? I've never used one but I gather it could handle up to 50 watts (maybe someone else can chime in there?).

As far as the heat of vapour at higher watts - basically, the hotter your coils go, the hotter the vapour is going to be. Wider airflow will cool the vapour down a lot. This will result in more vapour and less flavour. Less airflow will give you less vapour, but it will be hotter with more intense flavour.
Essentially its all about adjusting to your liking. When I first started vaping I found I could find the sweet spot for me on most of my new gear very quickly - this is still the case, in fact.

Perhaps investing in a couple of RDA's may be a good idea if you are looking for both more flavour and more vapour... these offer the best of both worlds really but require a bit of a learning curve - there are plenty of videos on youtube that walk you through setting these up and using them that I found very helpful! If you choose to go this route I'd suggest getting a magma (good flavour atty) and a Mutation X (lots of airflow). These will give you a good experience of each extreme!

In terms of mouth to lunging - I was a mouth to lunger up untill I got my first RDA. I found (and still do) that higher watts like this made me cough and I also felt I couldn't get a comfortable draw with the bigger airflow. I now only do lung hits and find it very comfortable and more satisfying than mouth to lung.

I hope all of that made sense. Good luck! :)

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't go anywhere near 50 watts on an Aspire Nautilus... it's been a while since I used one but as far as I remember the highest I could go was about 12/13 watts without choking on burning wick. I'm assuming the 'Kangertek sub mini box combo' includes a subtank? I've never used one but I gather it could handle up to 50 watts (maybe someone else can chime in there?).

As far as the heat of vapour at higher watts - basically, the hotter your coils go, the hotter the vapour is going to be. Wider airflow will cool the vapour down a lot. This will result in more vapour and less flavour. Less airflow will give you less vapour, but it will be hotter with more intense flavour.
Essentially its all about adjusting to your liking. When I first started vaping I found I could find the sweet spot for me on most of my new gear very quickly - this is still the case, in fact.

Perhaps investing in a couple of RDA's may be a good idea if you are looking for both more flavour and more vapour... these offer the best of both worlds really but require a bit of a learning curve - there are plenty of videos on youtube that walk you through setting these up and using them that I found very helpful! If you choose to go this route I'd suggest getting a magma (good flavour atty) and a Mutation X (lots of airflow). These will give you a good experience of each extreme!

In terms of mouth to lunging - I was a mouth to lunger up untill I got my first RDA. I found (and still do) that higher watts like this made me cough and I also felt I couldn't get a comfortable draw with the bigger airflow. I now only do lung hits and find it very comfortable and more satisfying than mouth to lung.

I hope all of that made sense. Good luck! :)
Yes the Sub mini does come with a matched tank and 2 types of coils , a vertical one and a single horizontal coil with cotton. I have watched several You Tube videos on the combo and that is why I ordered it , but didn't understand how the vape stayed cool. I am not a cloud chaser , just wanted more flavor and a little more cloud. Thank You for answering

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving to Uncategorized because it's kind of a tank and mod question in one...

The Nautilus is going to be at home below 18 watts, probably well below. If you want more vapor, you're going to want to look at a new-generation sub-ohm clearo, which will allow you to use the power a new mod would provide.

More airflow is going to help keep the vape cool as you turn the power up, but eventually you'll get to a point where it'll start to warm up. 20-25 watts on a wide-open Subtank should be comparable temperature-wise to your Nautilus around 15...

I'm new on this forum and I couldn't figure out how to start a thread,
I have a tesla two unregulated 100watt mod with an alien rda I'm thinking about buying a Atlantis v2 idk if it would work too great, need advice

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm new on this forum and I couldn't figure out how to start a thread,
I have a tesla two unregulated 100watt mod with an alien rda I'm thinking about buying a Atlantis v2 idk if it would work too great, need advice

It would work fine I would imagine. Really depends on what you are hoping to acheive really. Unfortunately I have never used any of these devices. What do you mean by not knowing if it would work too great? They would certainly be compatable if that is what you mean? Or are you concerned about whether you will enjoy it?

As far as I can tell, the Tesla 2 is just a mechanical box mod with built in dual parallel batteries? So it will basically perform like any mech mod with dual parelell batteries... i.e. will fire at approx 4volts and has no chip to regulate it.

I assume the Atlantis will not perform as well in terms of flavour/vapour production as the Alien RDA but will have the benefit of being a tank.

As I said I've never used (nor read too much) about any of these devices and ultimately it all depends on what you are looking to get out of them!

I hope that helps in some way! :)

VU Sponsors