Become a Patron!

Question regarding arcing

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I (finally) got my Rig Mod apart to clean yesterday. I could see that there is some fairly heavy arcing going on. I don't *really* know heavy from light, but since the thing has only had 1.5 charges of a vtc5a through it I would think it shouldn't be present at all.

My questions-

Why does arcing happen?

Aside from the annoying light burn marks is it doing anything bad? Like damaging my batteries?

How do I stop or minimize it?

I wet sanded/buffed/polished the contact before I thought to take a picture, and I tried to clean the negative battery post, but it didn't really do anything. So I took a pic. :)

Forgive the shitty pic. I had to get this awful glare to see the light burn marks.

3f5ccfd0c271e14e8add0735f51031f3.jpg

Thanks for any information and advice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nothing? The arcing continues... :(

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do you have any Oxgard, Noalox or the like?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Par for the course bro. deoxIT or one of the other variants of it. Every time that switch gets pressed this happens. Its very much like the spark you get when connecting a jumper cable. The point that arcs is the break point in the circuit. Looks like your mod has the positive terminal staying in contact with the battery and negative closes the loop on fire.

If the arcing is affecting performance take a dremel or small piece of 400 grit and scuff them out, apply some deoxIT and carry on. Cant really tell from the pic but the battery wrap looks a bit worn as well. Does the battery move inside the mod or is it snug?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also to minimize arcing use a firm fast press and a quick release of the button.
Light finger firing promotes more arcing.

VU Sponsors