% question

Vicious Vaperz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So far not too bad results with DIY.
I have a few questions if ya'll don't mind.

I think have the basics down ie :
In a 10ml recipe
A flavor calling for 5% would equate to 0.5 ml or 0.5 gr of that certain flavor , np there
but what about flavors @ 0.25% or 0.50 %
How in gods name do you measure 0.25 % - 0.50 % ?
What is that equal to in ml's or grams ?

Also I seem to see that each % or ml is equal to the same number in grams . Is this correct ?
So said recipe with single flavoring could be measured for 10ml as 5%flavoring or 0.5ml flavoring or 5 gram flavoring and it all measures out the same ?

Please help soooo confused !

I hope all this makes sense and Thanks in advance.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

In a 10ml recipe
A flavor calling for 5% would equate to 0.5 ml or 0.5 gr of that certain flavor , np there

Also I seem to see that each % or ml is equal to the same number in grams . Is this correct ?
So said recipe with single flavoring could be measured for 10ml as 5%flavoring or 0.5ml flavoring or 5 gram flavoring and it all measures out the same ?

http://www.ejuice.breaktru.com/

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What wally is trying to say is, use an eliquid calculator. It does all the math for you. There are a mess of them, just google it, and try them to see which one you like best. A lot of people like ejuicemup, but that only works for Windows (or a Windows VM on a Mac). AFAIK, there isn't a native Mac calculator, so you're relegated to an online one.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

.25% = .025 ml
.50% = .05 ml
This is where you will need to use a small 1ml syringe to be accurate. 1 ml syringes deal in 10ths so You will have to round off the .025 to either .02 or .03 which ever you prefer. With measurements this small most scales will not read that small amount.
As for ml = same grams this is somewhat correct. Different fluids have different weights, but are so close that in DIY it will not make that much of a difference. If you want to be perfect (or close to it) then you should use syringes.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

In a 10ml recipe

+1 Ejuicemeup Calculator

I just set the drops per ml to 33-35, for the large dropper topped bottles.
Or 49-60 range for the skinny dropper topped bottles.
(You should try to figure out how many drops per ml for each flavor bottle and label them).
(Or how many drops per .1ml, then just X 10 for a total.

.5% and .25%, or other small amounts, I just use drops.
(I transferred most of my flavors from the glass bottles to plastic so I could use drops).
Maybe not a good idea for long term storage, but it makes things easier for me.

Too hard using a 1 ml syringe, as the drops get lost in there somewhere.

Probably best to use a scale if you want perfection.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
HeadInClouds recommends making a flavor bottle once you find something you like and then using that larger amount as a percentage in smaller bottles. For example in a 10ml recipe its hard so make just the flavors needed for 100ml in a bottle and use 1/10th of that in your PG/VG/NIC mix.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HeadInClouds recommends making a flavor bottle once you find something you like and then using that larger amount as a percentage in smaller bottles. For example in a 10ml recipe its hard so make just the flavors needed for 100ml in a bottle and use 1/10th of that in your PG/VG/NIC mix.

I do that for all my favorite mixes - it makes mixing up bottles very fast!

Vicious Vaperz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you everyone. Great info .
Makes it much clearer.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too hard using a 1 ml syringe, as the drops get lost in there somewhere.
Yea I found that using a 1 ml syringe is difficult to read and I have found that the easiest way to read it is by having air in the syringe first.
What I do is start by pulling the plunger out to the .1 mil or more mark. Now insert it into the liquid and draw in the amount you want. You can see it a LOT easier that way. Try it with some water to test.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forget grams. A gram is weight, milliliters are volume. If you really, really want to be accurate mixing at very low volumes you basically have two choices: Do as others have suggested and use drops as a measure (don't try to equate to ml, use percentage ie. 1 drop flavor to 9 drops base = 10%) or get a pipettor. (Link is to show what I'm talking about, you can get them for very cheap elsewhere.) http://www.usascientific.com/repeatingpipettors.aspx

VU Sponsors