Become a Patron!

Questions about mech mods.

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm fairly new to vaping, and since I started I've only been using variable wattage devices. I guess I don't realy understand mech mods. I was wondering what if any are the advantages of a mech rather than a vv/vw device. I use a sigelei 100w plus right now, what can mech do that this can't? Also from what I've gathered they can be dangerous if not used correctly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Honestly the 100 watt device beats the mechanical mod in most aspects other than size and looks. With a mechanical mod you are going to have to build your coils low to try and squeeze out as much power as possible from the 18650 battery that your using and that is where it can get dangerous if you don't know the limits of your battery.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
100 watts from a regulated mod can be "forced" onto a build (to obtain a higher heat flux value) with a higher resistance value than you would use to discharge 100 watts from a mech mod... (a resistance of 0.17Ω to discharge 100 watts from an 1865/30a battery... assuming a zero voltage drop).

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have no idea what you just said lol,
That's OK... unless you learn about and understand the values I refer to, Ohm's law formulas can be intimidating... as can important build/power values like heat flux and heat capacity.

If you use mechs or high output regulated devices, rebuild your attys... and want to advance your vapists education considerably, then click on the sigline hyperlinks below, and read read read.
wink.gif

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried to read and ask questions all the time, it just gets a little overwhelming when you first start

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It used to be that if you wanted a high power vape that would throw lots of clouds, you needed to use a mech.

With new high power regulated mods that is no longer true as they can now beat the mechs at their own game so to speak.

But a lot of folks still like the mechs as quite a few of them are real works of art.

Not so much the regulated mods.

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm fairly new to vaping, and since I started I've only been using variable wattage devices. I guess I don't realy understand mech mods. I was wondering what if any are the advantages of a mech rather than a vv/vw device. I use a sigelei 100w plus right now, what can mech do that this can't? Also from what I've gathered they can be dangerous if not used correctly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

It is a bit confusing at first, but it’s not horribly tough. My answer to your question (what can a mech do that a 100w regulated device can’t) would be “not much, if anything.” That being said, I still like to use mechs a good amount of the time for a variety of reasons, chief among them:

1. Look and feel – some mechs are wonderfully crafted and a real pleasure to use. Some of my favorites are from Super-T and By Leo. The craftsmanship is amazing.

2. Simplicity – it’s basically a tube with a switch. Not much (or anything) can go wrong with it. If something breaks, it’s often a part you can get at a hardware store, such as a spring. Drop it in water? No problem. No electronics to break or malfunction.

3. Can fire anything (which is also a con). In the past, if you wanted to vape low ohms/high wattage, a mech was your only option.

Downsides are also there. Mechs are limited by the battery voltage and, as the battery voltage drops, your vape quality also drops. You can always tell the heavy-duty mech users by the stack of batteries they often have to tote around. Perhaps the biggest downside is that YOU, rather than electronics, are the safety net. There’s no electronics to step in and prevent a short causing a problem or a build that is too low for the battery you’re using.

Since you mention you’re new to vaping, I’d suggest sticking with the Sig 100 (or other regulated devices) for a while until you’re more comfortable with building your own coils, understanding Ohms law, and other such issues before trying a mech. You’re not missing anything magical by not using a mech.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use mechs because of their durability. You can take them apart and clean them. This is a must for me because I work in a very dusty environment.

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was looking for

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I started using mechanical mods, the dna20 was the most powerful vw chip. Soon after,
the dna30 arrived and the wattage war was on. I recognized an opportunity to "wait it out" and
see who's standing after the dust settles. Lots of regulated mods have fallen to the wayside in
that short period of time, yet my mechanicals are still viable devices. It seems to me then that their
greatest attribute is longevity.

So now it appears to me that the dust has settled, and there are some stand outs in the regulated
mod arena. If I had started vaping six months later than I did, I probably wouldn't be such a
mechanical nut and would be vaping a VW device right now. So I think it was the timing of when
I started vaping that got me into mechanicals.

I'm currently waiting for the temperature controlled mods to mature some before I finally go
back to regulated mods, but I admit I am fighting the urge to get a Sigelei 150w box. :D

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
in many ways your sig100 has some benefits over a mech mod

i have a handful of mechs which i use some of them daily, i also have a sigelei 150W which is sometime just so much easier to use than a mech

you really need a good understanding of battery safety and ohms law to use a mech safely.

back when i got into mechanical mods, I liked it because 30 watts was alot back then and i could vape at wattages above 30w with a mech mod (often only needed to be 35-40W) and my DNA30 i had only went to 30W, but with a 100W mod, you are much less likely to run into this situation

VU Sponsors