Become a Patron!

Questions on upgrading to a whole new setup

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So I've been entertaining the thought of upgrading from my ipower 80w and baby beast to a higher powered and larger mod but I'm not sure if I really should. I love my current setup but it just feels too dainty. Also, I don't think more watts will be better because I occasionally get choked at 80 watts. Not necessarily a throat hit, but more of a drowning in vapor choking.

Would you folks have any recommendations? I really like the wismec DNA 200/250 or RX something or other and would most likely top it off with a tfv12.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I've been entertaining the thought of upgrading from my ipower 80w and baby beast to a higher powered and larger mod but I'm not sure if I really should. I love my current setup but it just feels too dainty. Also, I don't think more watts will be better because I occasionally get choked at 80 watts. Not necessarily a throat hit, but more of a drowning in vapor choking.

Would you folks have any recommendations? I really like the wismec DNA 200/250 or RX something or other and would most likely top it off with a tfv12.
Say goodbye to Wismec, they are made to fail, bad 510 and short life span..... Also failing is The Triade...... The VT 250 another piece of crap..... Get a 1550p DNA 250 alpinetech mod with (2) 18650.... So it's really a DNA 167.... You will be so happy.....
e512d542d11a17f17d8f13ccf237d624.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I understand what you mean about not needing more watts. The good thing about the higher watt miss is typically they are dual 18650 battery. With 2 (or 3 depending on the mod) batteries in the mod, you will need to change them less often.

Personally I am quite happy with an Alien mod topped off with an Avocado 24.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your choking on a hit..... that usually means you have the power too high....
You describe a case for a lower power mod.. not more power.

If you WANT a new setup get one....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are mods with more power, not sure if that's what you meant was 'dainty' about the ipower. Physical dimensions aren't that much different.

ipower 80 is 82.55mm x 47.6mm x 22mm.
smok alien is 85mm x 44mm x 28mm.

Outside of being a little thicker they're nearly the same size. If that's what you consider to be a bit on the small side then other mods may not be a good fit either. The alien, kaos, predator etc (several other dual battery mods) are similarly sized. Dna mods like MannyScoot mentioned are nice, they're also a bit more expensive.

If you like the wismec rx shape, maybe a smoant battlestar 200w? Folks have had good things to say about them.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
sounds to me like you just need a different mod
first thing to consider is TC
Do you like TC? if YES that narrows your choices down a good but
most will agree a dna mod is probably your best choice
the next most popular for TC is the Hohmtech line up with teh FSK chipset
then probably the YIHI boards

All of these come in various shapes and sizes and power ranges you can get dna75 mods and yihi mods that only go to 80

I like many prefer 2 and 3 battery style mods for the following reasons
1. we like not changing batteries as often
2. we like the feel of the mod in our hand

I have 1 battery mods and 2 battery mods - the 2 battery mods feel better in my hand usually

SO forget about how many watts the mod does. I have 1 mod that does 200, 1 that goes 165, 2 that can technically do 336w and one that does 75. None of them get pushed past 55

First decide TC or not
If TC pick a board
One reason the DNA is so popular is its warranty another is its accuracy. WHile the FSK chips have a good warranty and accuracy as well as the ability to TC Kanthal

If No TC then a DNA and FSK chipset are overkill but still worth the look

so next step is find the form factor you like the feel in your hand. This is important. Especially from your OP. Because others will say how your device vapes is the most important, but it sounds like you already have a device that you like the vape. But you arent happy with it because of feel or looks or something like that

So maybe go to a few shops and hold some devices in your hand to see what you like

Then do your research of the mods

You can find tons of reviews on youtube plus actual first hand user experience of mods here and reddit and that other place.

oh and if you are into dna mods...manny's suggestion is a for a custom built mod not one you will find easily on some retailers website. but I would go that method personally if I wanted a dna mod, many of the modders out there building them will offer very nice warranties and you will usually get a solid built device that way that can last you a very very long time

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
sounds to me like you just need a different mod
first thing to consider is TC
Do you like TC? if YES that narrows your choices down a good but
most will agree a dna mod is probably your best choice
the next most popular for TC is the Hohmtech line up with teh FSK chipset
then probably the YIHI boards

All of these come in various shapes and sizes and power ranges you can get dna75 mods and yihi mods that only go to 80

I like many prefer 2 and 3 battery style mods for the following reasons
1. we like not changing batteries as often
2. we like the feel of the mod in our hand

I have 1 battery mods and 2 battery mods - the 2 battery mods feel better in my hand usually

SO forget about how many watts the mod does. I have 1 mod that does 200, 1 that goes 165, 2 that can technically do 336w and one that does 75. None of them get pushed past 55

First decide TC or not
If TC pick a board
One reason the DNA is so popular is its warranty another is its accuracy. WHile the FSK chips have a good warranty and accuracy as well as the ability to TC Kanthal

If No TC then a DNA and FSK chipset are overkill but still worth the look

so next step is find the form factor you like the feel in your hand. This is important. Especially from your OP. Because others will say how your device vapes is the most important, but it sounds like you already have a device that you like the vape. But you arent happy with it because of feel or looks or something like that

So maybe go to a few shops and hold some devices in your hand to see what you like

Then do your research of the mods

You can find tons of reviews on youtube plus actual first hand user experience of mods here and reddit and that other place.

oh and if you are into dna mods...manny's suggestion is a for a custom built mod not one you will find easily on some retailers website. but I would go that method personally if I wanted a dna mod, many of the modders out there building them will offer very nice warranties and you will usually get a solid built device that way that can last you a very very long time
Great post.

VU Sponsors