Become a Patron!

Quick question about cleaning brass

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, this is a real quick one. So, I have a brass Changeling mod. The brass is just a decorative sleeve. Now, to clean my copper mods and attys what I do is soak them in a solution of dish soap, vinegar, and warm water for a couple of hours. It strips off the patina with almost no effort.

What I want to know is, will this work on brass or not?

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I clean my Vanilla I use some stuff called Wrights Copper Cream. It comes with a little pad on the inside and you simply apply and rub on and polish off with a micro fiber. I don't know if you are doing it the way you are explaining for a reason but this stuff is amazing if you wanted to give it a try. It cleaned my brass up and took off a good amount of the age/tarnish.

I have never cleaned brass with vinegar but I am reading you should dilute the vinegar 50/50.
51gfCdyY-DL._SX300_.jpg

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I clean my Vanilla I use some stuff called Wrights Copper Cream. It comes with a little pad on the inside and you simply apply and rub on and polish off with a micro fiber. I don't know if you are doing it the way you are explaining for a reason but this stuff is amazing if you wanted to give it a try. It cleaned my brass up and took off a good amount of the age/tarnish.

I have never cleaned brass with vinegar but I am reading you should dilute the vinegar 50/50.
51gfCdyY-DL._SX300_.jpg

Yeah. I'm doing it that way because all I have to do is soak it. I don't have to do any polishing or anything with it. And I do dilute it. It's about 40% vinegar, 10% soap, and 50% warm water.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was looking for a way to clean up the small crevices in my contacts that I really can't clean all that well, so that's great I will have to give that a try. Thank you.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking for a way to clean up the small crevices in my contacts that I really can't clean all that well, so that's great I will have to give that a try. Thank you.

No problem. I works great on copper. I haven't used it on brass though. Now that I'm looking at it though I like the look of tarnished brass over clean copper. I might just leave it be.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I did end up leaving the brass sleeve patined. Once my camera (I finally have one!) is charged I'll post up a pic. Anyway the contacts are really nice and clean now so it's hitting a lot better. I'm doing my FUhattan right now.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the cleaned Changeling.

Clean_Changeling_zps6ldvqvsx.png

I think the reason it's shaking might be my rather unsteady hands, but it might also be my camera. Not sure.

VU Sponsors