Become a Patron!

Quitting Vaping (Temporarily)

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all.

So because of an illness I recently suffered I'm unable to vape for the next couple months. For any of you who have wondered what quitting vaping is like compared to smoking, it's definitely more difficult, at least for me. Here's why...

- Vaping is way more enjoyable than smoking.
- You can vape pretty much anywhere.
- Vaping has a lot of ritual involved, especially if you drip / squonk
- I finally got a squonk set up I really like and all I want to do is get my squonk on.
- Vaping has gadgets and I love gadgets.
- Vaping has delicious flavors.
- Vooping.

So yeah. Quitting smoking was difficult for the first few days because of all the chemicals you become dependent on so there is a physical aspect to it. I have a MTL set up that I take tiny toots off of a couple times a day and I don't even inhale so it's just a tease. I normally vape around 7-10 mls of 3mg which I don't consider to be very much.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
If I would quit vaping I would go back to eating everything I find (mostly sweets) and probably kill my employees after not getting my nicotine. But if its due an illness of course I would find something that would keep me busy and takes my mind off the cravings.

I hope you'll feel better soon, no matter if with or without vaping. Do what works best for your body or what you gotta do.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I would quit vaping I would go back to eating everything I find (mostly sweets) and probably kill my employees after not getting my nicotine. But if its due an illness of course I would find something that would keep me busy and takes my mind off the cravings.

I hope you'll feel better soon, no matter if with or without vaping. Do what works best for your body or what you gotta do.

Ha. Lucky for me I'm home for a while so my co-workers are safe. I am eating a ton but I lost a bunch of weight so I guess its a good thing for now. Thanks for the well wishes.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I haven't quit vaping, so no. LOL.

My general impression for me is that it would be easier to quit vaping. Based only on the fact that when I'm busy doing things where I don't want my gear around, like working on the car or whatnot where I might drop or otherwise damage it or I'm at an event or something where vaping is not appropriate, I don't miss my vape and don't get the cravings I did with cigs.

I never got into the hobby aspect. I build and DIY juice but they are more chores I have to do for a good vape rather than for fun. So, I would not miss tinkering.

But, I haven't tried to quit vaping so I don't know.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I haven't quit vaping, so no. LOL.

My general impression for me is that it would be easier to quit vaping. Based only on the fact that when I'm busy doing things where I don't want my gear around, like working on the car or whatnot where I might drop or otherwise damage it or I'm at an event or something where vaping is not appropriate, I don't miss my vape and don't get the cravings I did with cigs.

I never got into the hobby aspect. I build and DIY juice but they are more chores I have to do for a good vape rather than for fun. So, I would not miss tinkering.

But, I haven't tried to quit vaping so I don't know.
that's part of the problem, I'm just sitting here doped up and bored out of my skull. Maybe I should work on that novel I never started.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dunno... I recently suffered this godawful flu that's going around, and I literally couldn't vape at all for about 5 days, and really didn't miss it; it just occurred to me one day that it had been quite a few days since I'd even picked it up. After about a week, I was able to start taking tiny mouth-only hits, no inhaling at all or I just died coughing (and i normally take shallow small inhales anyway, thx to asthma, but ANY inhales with the flu just about killed me), and yeah, it was kind of a tease, being able to only taste it but not inhale it. So I just set it down again for a few more days. Now, I can inhale it, but i still have to do it very carefully; kinda like when I first started vaping, when I was learning the "proper technique."

I think it's really just a mental thing... it was very clear to me that I have zero physical addiction anymore, because I NEVER EVER went 5 days without smoking, no matter HOW sick I was. I didn't even THINK of vaping until a great deal of my physical misery was over.

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that's part of the problem, I'm just sitting here doped up and bored out of my skull. Maybe I should work on that novel I never started.

The weather took a turn for the worse around here. I've been enjoying the hell out of the olympics on the boob tube the last few days.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The weather took a turn for the worse around here. I've been enjoying the hell out of the olympics on the boob tube the last few days.

We actually have the opposite, its in the 60's and gorgeous out. But we are getting snow this weekend, so they say.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You absorb nic through your mucus membranes with vaping, so if you don't inhale at least you can get some nic. I would very much miss the lung hit. and would probably cheat. Not sure if I went through what you did if I would temp myself. Hope it passes quickly for you. I hear knitting keeps you hands busy.:giggle:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interesting that quitting vaping is harder for you when I find that during periods of time when I can't vape it doesn't bother me like quitting smoking did. But that is only 8-10 hour periods of time for me so I guess I would need to try for a longer period of time to truly see what would happen. Not something I want to do because like you said it is more enjoyable then smoking ever was.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I almost forgot. If you DIY juice and have supplies(flavors, nic), you can make nicotine candy. Would have to be very careful with the tiny person in the house with candy though.

Anyway, I've made hard candy with my vape flavors and nic before to see how it would turn out. It was pretty good. I think I'll make some for hunting season because I don't want to chase game away with the vape smells.

Something to do, uses some supplies and you could have some nicotine.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hello all.

So because of an illness I recently suffered I'm unable to vape for the next couple months. For any of you who have wondered what quitting vaping is like compared to smoking, it's definitely more difficult, at least for me. Here's why...

- I finally got a squonk set up I really like and all I want to do is get my squonk on.
- Vooping.

So yeah. Quitting smoking was difficult for the first few days because of all the chemicals you become dependent on so there is a physical aspect to it. I have a MTL set up that I take tiny toots off of a couple times a day and I don't even inhale so it's just a tease. I normally vape around 7-10 mls of 3mg which I don't consider to be very much.

Yeah. Got pneumonia Winter of 2016, couldn't vape. It stunk. I realized I could go all day without vaping and not suffer if I stayed busy, though. Hope you get well soon.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I almost forgot. If you DIY juice and have supplies(flavors, nic), you can make nicotine candy. Would have to be very careful with the tiny person in the house with candy though.

Anyway, I've made hard candy with my vape flavors and nic before to see how it would turn out. It was pretty good. I think I'll make some for hunting season because I don't want to chase game away with the vape smells.

Something to do, uses some supplies and you could have some nicotine.

That’s a good idea. I really need to start DIY. I keep other kinds of candy and snacks around the house that have to be locked up away from my wee one.

Speaking of the wee one, my wife took her to the library today and she picked out a book for me..

BF8D8FFF-2AF8-44EA-884F-07483E525985.jpeg

This should keep me busy

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You absorb nic through your mucus membranes with vaping, so if you don't inhale at least you can get some nic. I would very much miss the lung hit. and would probably cheat. Not sure if I went through what you did if I would temp myself. Hope it passes quickly for you. I hear knitting keeps you hands busy.:giggle:

ha thanks maybe I will take up knitting.

I actually did try when I first got home and it was pretty painful. I've since tried it again and it felt normal but I don't want to risk it. Once this chest tube is out, its game on. I have some new juice on deck, a wasp nano and new RTA coming friday that I can't wait to try out. I also think I'm going to order either the lux squonk or luna but that's a different thread.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I truly hope you feel better soon.

I was stupid lucky with quitting smoking.....one day with a Joyetech AIO/Mother’s Milk and I was hooked. I can imagine vaping being much more difficult for me. I love the tinkering/ritual of vaping and the flavors.....good lord, the flavors! I know eventually I will get sick and vaping will be difficult(knock on wood). But I have no intention of ever quitting vaping permanently. Feel better!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hello all.

- Vooping.

Dang buddy - do what you have to in order to regain your maximum health - you've already been through hell

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I must have missed whatever skt239's ailment is, while I was sick myself with that damn flu.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Oh yeah! I do remember reading that, right at the very start of my own malady, or maybe *just* before -- the following days of misery completely removed it from my memory! :facepalm: But when my husband popped a 104F fever on Jan 31, I remember thinking, oh man, here we go. Fortunately an hour's saline drip in the ER brought it down to 99F, and they gave him tamiflu, so he got over his pretty quick, within a week or so -- mine lingered on until it turned into bronchitis, but I was so extremely short of breath, I was afraid it had become pneumonia. Chest x-ray said not, though; I got done with the antibiotics this past Sunday, and I think I'm well on the mend; in the last 24 hrs, I don't think I've popped a fever at all. :)

Any idea how much longer you'll need that tube?

Get better!!! :hug:

Andria

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah! I do remember reading that, right at the very start of my own malady, or maybe *just* before -- the following days of misery completely removed it from my memory! :facepalm: But when my husband popped a 104F fever on Jan 31, I remember thinking, oh man, here we go. Fortunately an hour's saline drip in the ER brought it down to 99F, and they gave him tamiflu, so he got over his pretty quick, within a week or so -- mine lingered on until it turned into bronchitis, but I was so extremely short of breath, I was afraid it had become pneumonia. Chest x-ray said not, though; I got done with the antibiotics this past Sunday, and I think I'm well on the mend; in the last 24 hrs, I don't think I've popped a fever at all. :)

Any idea how much longer you'll need that tube?

Get better!!! :hug:

Andria
Glad you and the husband are doing better!

I have an air leak because of a hole in my lung so it could be another month that its stuck in there. I have a poor immune system because of crohn's disease so all my healing is slow going.

Just some new vape gear in the mail today, wasp nano and Elfy RTA, that I have built, wicked, juiced with nowhere to go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Man that truly does suck. But considering what you've already suffered... maybe not the worst possible news; at least you're on the mend now, and you'll have a nice reward for your patience, when you're finally well. :) I ordered myself a new phone case -- mine's been looking raggedy, so I figured it was a nice inexpensive little reward for my 2 wks of misery. Should have that tomorrow, I think. :)

Andria

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man that truly does suck. But considering what you've already suffered... maybe not the worst possible news; at least you're on the mend now, and you'll have a nice reward for your patience, when you're finally well. :) I ordered myself a new phone case -- mine's been looking raggedy, so I figured it was a nice inexpensive little reward for my 2 wks of misery. Should have that tomorrow, I think. :)

Andria
Thanks... Couldn't resist taking a quick toot off the wasp nano and man, that's one airy little fucker! I thought it would be along the lines of my hadaly but not even close!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks... Couldn't resist taking a quick toot off the wasp nano and man, that's one airy little fucker! I thought it would be along the lines of my hadaly but not even close!

Yeah after I'd had zero vape for 5 days, I had a couple of experimental mouth-only hits -- mainly because the last time I was so ill I didn't want to vape, 4 days of no vaping caused it to taste just awful to me, and that led to a damn month-long relapse to smoking, and I definitely didn't want that to happen again! But I'd only been a smoke-free vaper about 4 months, then, and now I'm closer to 4 yrs; the vape still tasted just fine to me, but I could tell, inhaling it even a little bit would be a TERRIBLE idea, considering I could barely breathe anyway! So I mostly just left it alone, aside from a few mouth-only hits here and there -- it really isn't a very satisfying way to vape, even for a diehard tootle-puffer like me -- there really needs to be SOME inhalation, or it really is just a big tease.

Andria

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah after I'd had zero vape for 5 days, I had a couple of experimental mouth-only hits -- mainly because the last time I was so ill I didn't want to vape, 4 days of no vaping caused it to taste just awful to me, and that led to a damn month-long relapse to smoking, and I definitely didn't want that to happen again! But I'd only been a smoke-free vaper about 4 months, then, and now I'm closer to 4 yrs; the vape still tasted just fine to me, but I could tell, inhaling it even a little bit would be a TERRIBLE idea, considering I could barely breathe anyway! So I mostly just left it alone, aside from a few mouth-only hits here and there -- it really isn't a very satisfying way to vape, even for a diehard tootle-puffer like me -- there really needs to be SOME inhalation, or it really is just a big tease.

Andria

Yeah it really is a tease. It may sound crazy but I can breathe absolutely fine with this chest tube. Only issue is I hurt a muscle in my back coughing and occasionally will get sharp pain breathing in but that’s totally unrelated to my issue according to the doctor and my X-rays.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah it really is a tease. It may sound crazy but I can breathe absolutely fine with this chest tube. Only issue is I hurt a muscle in my back coughing and occasionally will get sharp pain breathing in but that’s totally unrelated to my issue according to the doctor and my X-rays.

I can completely relate about back pain from coughing -- my lower back has hurt off and on since the very beginning of this shit over 2 wks ago, and it's absolutely from the fucking coughing -- I can feel the pull everytime I cough! But, the coughing has to get done, to get rid of that shit; not coughing, because a) it hurt so much, and b) I had no energy, is why the flu turned into the damn bronchitis in the first place. So I take ibuprofen for the back pain, keep a heating pad behind me, and take guaifenesin to make the coughing-up easier. Getting old is hell! I'll be getting a flu shot every fall, from now on, because I can't take anymore of this kind of fun and games with viruses!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hadn't seen that. But it appears to have ENTIRELY too much airflow for proper MtL, and that's one of the goofiest build decks I've ever seen. This is the kind of build deck/airflow I want:

achillesairhole.jpg

1) the internal airhole is RIGHT beneath the coil, and is only 1.2mm (and can be tightened further with the hex-key adjustment at the bottom);
2) the coil's leads go AROUND the screws, the only sane way of mounting a coil I've ever found.

Oh, and the cap and the tank both fasten with threads, backed up with o-rings to prevent leaking, not using o-rings just to fasten it and keep the packaging-challenged from being able to open or close it easily.

Andria

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hadn't seen that. But it appears to have ENTIRELY too much airflow for proper MtL, and that's one of the goofiest build decks I've ever seen. This is the kind of build deck/airflow I want:

View attachment 103918

1) the internal airhole is RIGHT beneath the coil, and is only 1.2mm (and can be tightened further with the hex-key adjustment at the bottom);
2) the coil's leads go AROUND the screws, the only sane way of mounting a coil I've ever found.

Oh, and the cap and the tank both fasten with threads, backed up with o-rings to prevent leaking, not using o-rings just to fasten it and keep the packaging-challenged from being able to open or close it easily.

Andria

Interesting. I know nothing about MTL and watched the pbusardo review. From what I hear people saying about his new tank, he doesn’t know much about MTL either.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interesting. I know nothing about MTL and watched the pbusardo review. From what I hear people saying about his new tank, he doesn’t know much about MTL either.

To really get what a proper MtL draw should be like... think of a cigarette's draw, after that cigarette has been tapped on its filter for 15 minutes to really pack the tobacco. Or a carto, that's a very good facsimile of a cigarette's draw.

I smoked Virginia Slims for more than 30 of the 39 yrs I smoked, and the last 10, I smoked the 120s, which are just as tightly-packed, but even longer, so they need an even firmer draw. No other kind of draw is satisfying to me.

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Your situation well and truly sucks!

Get well soon and while you are trying to regain your weight after your illness, try to pig out on stuff that is good for you.

Sadly I speak from experience.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your situation well and truly sucks!

Get well soon and while you are trying to regain your weight after your illness, try to pig out on stuff that is good for you.

Sadly I speak from experience.
Thanks!
My hippie wife is a food Nazi and generally keeps healthy food in the house. The nutritionist I’m seeing says I need to load up on protein so I get to eat a lot of red meat and all manner of delicious things. I left the hospital weighing 118 (I was only 128 going in) and have managed to climb up to 123 since getting home. By the time I get back to work in April I’m hoping to be a regular land cow.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks!
My hippie wife is a food Nazi and generally keeps healthy food in the house. The nutritionist I’m seeing says I need to load up on protein so I get to eat a lot of red meat and all manner of delicious things. I left the hospital weighing 118 (I was only 128 going in) and have managed to climb up to 123 since getting home. By the time I get back to work in April I’m hoping to be a regular land cow.

Two Words Protein Powder.....

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two Words Protein Powder.....

I have a smoothie once a day and we have tried all different kinds of the powder in them and I can’t do it. I’ve never liked the taste and for some reason my stomach doesn’t abide either. The solution? Bone broth. We get bones from a farm down the road that also sells us our meat and boil them into a broth. I just drink it out of a mason jar and it’s great. Taste like soup and is packed with protein.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry I missed the other thread. Wish you well and a speedy recovery skt. Your wife picked out a good book for ya dude. I have not read it personally but I've researched operation paperclip online and it's very interesting stuff. Should help keep your mind pre-occupied. :cheers:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You like vaping as a hobby. We're all into a hobby. Smoking cigarettes never provided me a hobby, dipping kind of did with spitoon designs and stuff. But nothing like coil building.

I've recently came full circle. I started of wanting to get the most nicotine in my system as humanly possible and Chase clouds. I'm grateful for that experience, because that sparked my coil building. I had used tanks before but quit too soon to make any sort of difference. Tanks just never did it for me.

I was hopelessly hooked from the first counterfeit fake ass alien I installed that I bought from the shady ass b&m store on campus. I got taken that's for sure. Sold me an old demon killer alien just one not two 1 for six fucking dollars. Those guys are jokes. They don't even know how to build a coil.

It will be hard to stop because unlike smoking, I actually enjoy it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors