Become a Patron!

Raspberry Pi users?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So to make a long story short, I wanted to get my fiancée the NES Classic Edition for her birthday but it's been sold out everywhere. Did some research and discovered I can build an even better one with a Raspberry Pi 3, Retropie software, and ROMS. Bought all the necessary parts on Amazon.

Anyone else do anything fancy with a Raspberry Pi? I was thinking about adding Kodi and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those computers sound really cool... I remember the day I got my first NES I was like 5 years old lol. Gotta get the game Contra

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those computers sound really cool... I remember the day I got my first NES I was like 5 years old lol. Gotta get the game Contra
The cool part is that Retropie software includes emulators for SNES, Nintendo 64, PSX, PSX2, etc. Pretty amazing stuff! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
House of many pi's here... raspberries, oranges and bananas. I use several for network services (DNS/DHCP/NTP), a network file server, and a custom home automation system. The Pi 3 is definitely worthy with its quad-core cpu, they are quite capable. Haven't played much with graphics on them but I hear good things about the GPU, was kinda thinking of making a diskless laptop, Adafruit sells a Pi-Top kit for around $275. Lots of boards/hats/sensors on amazon, banggood, adafruit, etc.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
House of many pi's here... raspberries, oranges and bananas. I use several for network services (DNS/DHCP/NTP), a network file server, and a custom home automation system. The Pi 3 is definitely worthy with its quad-core cpu, they are quite capable. Haven't played much with graphics on them but I hear good things about the GPU, was kinda thinking of making a diskless laptop, Adafruit sells a Pi-Top kit for around $275. Lots of boards/hats/sensors on amazon, banggood, adafruit, etc.

Ah much more advanced than I was expecting! Very cool. I was thinking about turning it into a multimedia hub, even though I have several devices that do that sort of thing anyway. I'm planning on installing Kodi for the various addons associated with that.

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A friend runs XBMC on one of his, says it works well. I just use an SSD drive with an SATA<->USB converter and let it (a pi3) serve files through NFS and SMB. It works well for backups, mp3 and video.

All pi are quite nice as a general purpose computer, pretty much flexible enough to be made into whatever sort of project you want. The low power consumption let me replace a few desktop servers with something that draws less than what a single desktop would.

VU Sponsors