Rayon... Instead of cotton?

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can someone please explain this to me? What exactly makes rayon so much better, where do I get it? Is there a certain type to use? Is the wicking process the same?

RoofMonkey911

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sally's Beauty Supply is where most people seem to get it from. Wicks faster than cotton, at least it seems too to me.
Flavor is better to me than cotton.
I re wicked my magma with cotton and 5 pulls later I was getting a muted flavor finally. Cleaned out the atty and re wicked with rayon and had full on flavor by the 2nd pull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cotton absorbs faster, but Rayon absorbs AND releases faster, or so I'm told anyway.
My box is # 44060 Graham CelluCotton.
Got mine at at Sally's too, and it was like 13 bucks for 500 ft.
May take a few tries, like cotton, to get the correct amount pulled in.
Cotton will expand a bit when wet, but Rayon shrinks a bit.
Kept getting dry hits on a new wick yesterday, kept checking and it looked perfectly fine.
Just did a do-over and fixed it, maybe too loose IDK.

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO, it's not really that much better than good* cotton. I have rayon and ready-x-wick, you know what I'm using??? Cotton, from a roll of medical bandage cotton that I've had for about ten years. I really wish I'd spent my money on some of the Japanese cotton instead of rayon.

AlexConfidential

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rayon doesn't gunk up as quick as regular cotton. It also wicks quicker. I have both KohGenDo Japanese cotton and rayon, I prefer rayon tbh just because of the less gunk up. You can also reuse the rayon by washing it and drying it. Drys real quick if you're in a pickle.

It's just a matter of preference.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK I have seen So MAny RAyon Threads in my forums I am going to Sally's and buy a box today so I can see for myself and quit clicking on these endless threads about rayon!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Be sure when you go to Sally's you read the box carefully! There are two boxes that look and are called exactly the same thing- one is rayon and one is actually cotton!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I always post this because its hard to find the answer, but don't worry about getting the 'reinforced' rayon cellucotton.. the only difference is the reinforced stuff has a strip of paper in the middle of it.. you just need to remove the paper strip and you are good to go.

I got a 500ft box and I don't use anything else.. I have organic cotton balls and that new cotton bacon and the rayon trumps it all.

you will have to adjust the amount of rayon you use.. its a bit thinner than cotton so you will need a tad more than if you were using regular cotton

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
im gonna try some as well. do they sell any less than 500ft at a time? lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't find it in a smaller box - the small boxes, which looked the same, were actually cotton in my Sallys. But honestly it's all I use now - this stuff is really good imo!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
im gonna try some as well. do they sell any less than 500ft at a time? lol

a lot of the smaller boxes are not the right stuff... I got a 500ft box for 20$ shipped on amazon.. totally worth the money - I see this lasting for the next few years lol.. and I was able to let a bunch of my friends try it too.. and they are all hooked.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would be careful with smaller boxes - every one I've seen so far is just cotton, not rayon.

Why rayon? In my experience it wicks better, absorbs more, and gunks up less - I'm re-wicking the RDA I use every day maybe twice a week, instead of daily like I did with cotton. And even when I do, the rayon I'm pulling out is cleaner, as are my coils.

RoofMonkey911

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also doesn't seem to hold previous flavors nearly as long as cotton. Yeah, I don't rewick when I change flavors most times.... Lazy vaper. Hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a large box at sallys as well for about 12.99 . It does wick much faster than cotton.
I thought I liked it better at first... but after a couple weeks of use, I went back to cotton. Something weird about it..... Maybe Im just weird..o_O

I also have some cotton from japan.... no big deal to me.

Just prefer the cotton. Anyone around the NE side of Atlanta that wants a big box....sell it to you for 8 bucks. Not gonna bother to mail it.

Just dont think I wanted to vape rayon.... yes, and Ive heard all the arguments for and against.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok I fina;;y did it! The Box would not fit in my shopping bag Had to carry it home by the box handle
rayon_zpsb1b7a961.jpg

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Built my Magma Clone for the firt time 6/7 wrap 26 ga Kanthal .45 OHM. I had about given up on dripping and had switched to RTA's. Tried the tobh-Crown- 28mm Stillare. This magma with Rayon Rocks[on a AR clone]

KnurledNut

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
I'll keep using my 100% organic cotton yarn.

You can keep your rayon. (add sarcasm) While your at it, pick up some Ultrafire batteries as well.

Rayon is a manufactured regenerated cellulose fiber. It is made from purified cellulose, primarily from wood pulp, which is chemically converted into a soluble compound. It is then dissolved and forced through a spinneret to produce filaments which are chemically solidified, resulting in synthetic fibers of nearly pure cellulose.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll keep using my 100% organic cotton yarn.

You can keep your rayon. (add sarcasm) While your at it, pick up some Ultrafire batteries as well.

Rayon is a manufactured regenerated cellulose fiber. It is made from purified cellulose, primarily from wood pulp, which is chemically converted into a soluble compound. It is then dissolved and forced through a spinneret to produce filaments which are chemically solidified, resulting in synthetic fibers of nearly pure cellulose.

Interesting reaction.

It's the cleanest vape I've found - but each to his own obviously!

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I recently tried both Japanese cotton and rayon. They are both significantly better than organic cotton balls in my experience. For me the rayon won out because after a small break-in time I get a cleaner flavor and the stuff really doesn't gunk up much at all. I can get weeks out of a wick and usually just change it because it hits me that I've been on the same wick for a long time rather than noticing my equipment isn't performing well. I have noticed that sometimes if you make a big wick to hold a lot of juice sometimes it just holds onto the juice rather than feeding it to the coils. The biggest thing that sold me was my fogger 4.1 is working way better. Much bigger margin of error fighting the war with dry hits and leaking. In my dripper the only thing I like better than the Japanese cotton is the longevity.

Spendi

Member For 4 Years
Darn, I got excited when I found a 10 ft. bag online and now I think I bought the wrong stuff.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been hesitant to try this something about the processing makes me feel a bit sick but if its better than Japanese Cotton than guess I should try it

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like to use the Japanese cotton in tanks and rayon in drippers.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using it for a few months now and it's great stuff. But just like lots of stuff in the vaping game YMMV.
But we are vapers and innovators and there has been many hits and misses, trials and errors. And a fuck ton of different things used and experimented with for wicking.
Funny how all the sudden when chemicals are mentioned people go all ape shit panic stricken.
I am all for being cautious and promoting safety. And I am willing to make room for ignorance. But no one can prove that the rayon is more dangerous than the cotton no matter what they think they can find on the inter web they still fail to prove rayon is a bad choice for wicking medium.
Not really sure why people want to make rayon users look stupid or foolish.
Motherfuckerdude!!! Fuckers need to quit being so damn worried about what the fuck I found to be the better wick that works for me.

I like bugs:)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Darn, I got excited when I found a 10 ft. bag online and now I think I bought the wrong stuff.

I bought a 10 foot bag of Cellucotton but discovered it said 100% cotton on it , not Rayon . Thats is the wrong stuff it thats what you bought , i actually found it to be worse than regular organic cotton , go figure . It's by Graham as well lol. It cost me $1.99

I was sent some Rayon to try from a member here and so far i like it , to me it's not a definite improvement over organic cotton for taste but it does last a lot longer.

Taste is my #1 decision maker in choosing wicking though , i would live with less run time if the taste was better , so far to me , too close to call.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Did the same thing. Now I have 500Ft From Sally's Message me if you want some

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using both Wallgreens Organic Cotton Balls and Rayon, flavor wise, same here, too close to call.

Never heard of Japanese Cotton, please elaborate.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's Koh Gen Do Japanese organic cotton. Comes in squares and is always sold out everywhere. I guess this place has it but it seems long for shipping. http://www.dermstore.com/product_Organic+Cotton+Pads_53165.htm I tried some that somebody sent me with a trade of stuff. Meh. I've been wanting to try the rayon but really don't want to buy a gazillion feet of it. Getting tired of the cotton yarn burning.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@glassgrl Thanks for the info...

Dry burning is usually caused by faulty wick, to much voltage, or thick juice.
Or a combination of the above.

Rayon will burn too.

I could never get the hang of trying to pull cotton yarn through my micro coils.
Cotton balls just work easier/faster for me.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know it's an old thread, but i picked up box at Sally's today, and saw no reason to make a new one. So far i like it. If I don't like it long term, my wife is ecstatic about the quantity for non vaping uses.

$11.99 for 500ft. Funny thing is Sally's is right next door to a vape shop!

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know it's an old thread, but i picked up box at Sally's today, and saw no reason to make a new one. So far i like it. If I don't like it long term, my wife is ecstatic about the quantity for non vaping uses.

$11.99 for 500ft. Funny thing is Sally's is right next door to a vape shop!

I use Sally's and it is great. The flavors is good and no dry hits.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what exactly do you look for at Sally's for rayon? I'll be visiting my mom on Monday and there's a Sally's right up the road.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what exactly do you look for at Sally's for rayon? I'll be visiting my mom on Monday and there's a Sally's right up the road.
image.jpg

This. 44060

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your welcome, that's what good forums are for!

I just replaced the wicking in all of my RDAs. I really like this stuff! It absorbs like a dry sponge to water, and that breakin flavor period is about 2 pulls.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
At the end of the day, every vaper in the world has their own favorite wicking material and they will defend it to the death.

And the most adventurous of us will look at other materiels and say to themselves.."Hey self, this looks like it could be a most wonderful wicking material" and then they will get their hands on some and give it a try.

There was one member here a while back that thought Alpaca fur or hair would make a good wicking material.

He went through a lot of time and effort, got some, boiled it I do believe and used it as a wick.

Turned out that it tasted and smelled like the south end of a northbound Alpaca.

But you have to love the guy for trying!

Bottom line I guess is to get a bit of each possible wicking material out there and find what works the best for you!

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a big box of rayon and I really like it. Of course that is just my silly Internet opinion.

If you do try it you can try the tips I have stolen from the various forums. It should not pull through freely there should be a little "squeak" I guess you can say. If you get to much in there it tastes sort of musty. I thought my hands were funky, gloved up and still had the same problem. i thin each side of the wick. You want the thickest part of the wick to be the part inside the coils. Rayon wicks to the thickest portion most efficiently.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been chain vaping since I put it in. A little over 15ml in the past couple hours. It may just be my taste buds and olfactory senses, or all in my head, but my juice tastes better. Better even than with the Japanese cotton I have been using.

I think I'll stick with it for a while.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you get to much in there it tastes sort of musty. I thought my hands were funky, gloved up and still had the same problem.
....this ladys and gentlemen made me giggle

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me, its a toss up between rayon and Drago Egyptian cotton.. The wicking and flavor of the two are very similar. Rayon has an edge for how easy it is to work with. Drago's edge is with dry hits. To me it seems very resilient to dry hits, and you notice the taste changing before you get a really dry hit so you don't get the choking/burning hit you can get with other wicks.

Either way, I have a box of rayon and a couple packs of Drago so I won't soon be running out of wicking material to use. They are both excellent materials.

VU Sponsors