Become a Patron!

RC car battery

I'm wanting to build a mech box for cloud chasing. A couple of people at the vape meet are using rc batteries. I've never built a custom box, but I'm looking at getting a hammond box. I'm just not sure what battery would be best for like a .05 .08 ohm build. If someone could chime in I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
anything that is rated at that amp limit would work. Are you familiar with ohms law?

anything that is rated at that amp limit would work. Are you familiar with ohms law?
Somewhat. I found a battery that's 5000mah 20c 7.4v. So this is the calculation I got:
5.0ah x 20c = 100 a
7.4v ÷ .08 ohm = 92.5 amp draw
This looks good, but I also read that you should account for a +/- .02 ohm reading. If I went with .08ohms and it dropped .02ohms to .06ohms I would then have 123.33 amp draw. So I don't think that will work.
I found another battery that is 7600mah 40c-80c 7.4v. With this I get that it will do 304 amps and with the set up I want to do at .08ohms even if it dropped to .06ohms I would only have 92.5 amp draw. I'm not sure how the 80c boost works on the battery. I'm pretty sure this battery is overkill, but just giving examples. Are these calculations right?
Thanks

Last edited:

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
.08 @ 7.4v = 684.5 watts. you would burn your wick instantly. Use the higher voltage to get more surface area by using a higher ohms. 7.4v @ .3 ohms = 182.33333 watts @ 24 amps. perfectly safe. Still a ridiculous amount of power.

The higher the voltage the more wattage.
.08 @ 4.2 Volts = 220 watts
.25 @ 7.4 Volts = 220 watts

Thanks.
.08 @ 7.4v = 684.5 watts. you would burn your wick instantly. Use the higher voltage to get more surface area by using a higher ohms. 7.4v @ .3 ohms = 182.33333 watts @ 24 amps. perfectly safe. Still a ridiculous amount of power.

Ahh. Alright thank you! I was looking at turnigy batteries. Do you have a battery you would reccommend?

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i usually dont do RC batteries. You can easily stack 18650's to get 8.4 volts. If you used 2 vtc5's stacked you would get a 2600 mah battery at 8.4 volts with a 30 amp limit. You could easily pull 200 watts off of that.

And since they are tested batteries, we know they will be able to handle it.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if a 18650 is nominally a 3.7v but can hold a charge of 4.2v.....would a 7.4 nominal volt RC battery hold a charge of 8.4v?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How did you plan to fit a 5000mah 2s battery inside the box?

Why not 2 single 1s lipos stacked?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Even at 182 watts is there a point to vaping anything other than straight VG? I know it can be done, but I had to work my way up to 100 watts and usually don't go above 80....with the right atty and airflow do you really need 200 watts to blow the biggest cloud? it just sounds like overkill? At that point why not just order a "Legal Vape 4000" and literally blow the competition away? :D

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Stay away from LiPo R/C batteries. If you're not familiar with LiPo, they can be very dangerous.

Just read a story about some idiot who built a LiPo box w/ a 4000w capacity using crappy low capacity wiring and underrated components. I don't think I need to tell you how that ended up.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stay away from LiPo R/C batteries. If you're not familiar with LiPo, they can be very dangerous.

Just read a story about some idiot who built a LiPo box w/ a 4000w capacity using crappy low capacity wiring and underrated components. I don't think I need to tell you how that ended up.
He won a darwin award for making a multipurpose bomb?

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
Lipo is pretty safe as long as you stay within it's rated specs and ALWAYS balance charge it. If you get a lipo battery you also need to get a balance charger. The biggest issue with them is over-discharging them and running them below the intended cutoff voltage.

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a lipo battery low volt alarm for My lipo box....I got it at the same hobby shop that I bought the batteries and charger from,it tells the per cell charge and total voltage and will work up to 8s batteries,and has volt adj. settings for the alarm....Z

Vapescaped

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I actually am doing A METRIC SHIT-TON of research on this right now.
First, instead of RC cars, take a look at the drone/minicopter batteries. They seem to focus on smaller, lighter packages that pump out amperage like a freaking metal concert. Heres a few things I've found
Alpinetech A+ Inside dimensions 93.1mm 35mm 29.4mm 30mm $14.95 graphine 1000 2s 65a 76*35*16
Alpinetech G 96.2 46.2 21 24-25mm 14.95 TB 1300 3s 88*34*19 84.5a
Alpintech G+ 99.2 48.2 23 25mm 15.95
dripp3d 1550p 77 51 23 25mm 12
dripp3d 1590b 106.8 55 27 30mm 20.5 tb 1800 3s 117a 104*34*20 tb 1800 4s 117a 104*34*27
alpinetech B 108 56.5 27 30mm 21.95 tg 1800 3s 117a 107*36*26
alpinetech N1 117 61.7 35.8 40mm? 27.5
CnC boxes can be found on Ebay, they're nicer than a hammond
TB= turnigy Bolt TG=turnigy graphine, I'm focusing on those because from what I've researched, they give really nice power for the price, and they are easy to get.
Here's a video of the only person I've seen so far that tests A TON of lipos
here's a link to his data sheet on battery performane(watch video that explains the chart because it's like learning calculus in aramaic)
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AF8VSKcKJUWLi80
Remember 2 things though. First, these are all 4s batteries that he tested. Only the B and N1 size boxes can fit a battery that thick(that I've found so far, PLEASE, do your own research and come to your own conclusions, because this is way to dangerous to trust what I've learned only. Let me hurt myself, not you), and, his tests are continuous drain, which you will not do with a lipo mod, especially if it's a pwm
Finally, one more disclaimer: Research every part of your mod, extensively, and then some more. Poke as many holes in your plan as humanly possible and see if it holds water. research what the pros are using for pwm, mosfets, 510s, etc, and find out why they're using them. Especially mosfets, because their ratings are not taken at face value, because they generate heat and those amps used to generate heat are taken off the total. I've heard of mosfets so hot that they de-solder themselves.
Ok, I'm done. Hope some of the data helps. Good luck!

Vapescaped

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm making a cool spreadsheet on that box and battery dimension listing, but I have no freaking clue how to upload it. I'll keep on compiling data and plan on doing a youtube video on it and find a way to get the spreadsheet uploaded

VU Sponsors