Become a Patron!

Redheaded Stepchildren

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hope not cuz I doodle constantly while I'm on the phone.
<<chin rubbing moji....if we had one>>
OK.....maybe it is now that I think about it.

i always wondered why breeders of poodles swapped in the "D"

labradoodle, retriever doodle, cocker doodle...

not an aussie in the land that doesn't include an awkward pause before saying a poodle cross breed

Bob Labla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Bob Labla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
blahblah is a hero after all, extensive great barrier reef damage, and he has healthy coral specimens http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/22/w...oral-bleaching1205PMStoryLink&linkId=22595432
Hmmmm that's weird. Just read the article. Coral generally bleaches when they don't get enough light. Temp swings that small dont even phase them.

Before I knew what I was doing I was running my tank at 75°. They were fine, just didn't grow quite as fast. Now I try o run 78° but it fluctuates 1-2° day to day and morning to night depending on this crazy Nebraska temp swings.

Generally in a small aquarium, minor changes like that are amplified and coral can be completely wiped out overnight if something goes awry compared to fluctuations in the ocean which has many things functioning as counterbalances. I smell foul in the proposed science of that claim.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmmm that's weird. Just read the article. Coral generally bleaches when they don't get enough light. Temp swings that small dont even phase them.

Before I knew what I was doing I was running my tank at 75°. They were fine, just didn't grow quite as fast. Now I try o run 78° but it fluctuates 1-2° day to day and morning to night depending on this crazy Nebraska temp swings.

Generally in a small aquarium, minor changes like that are amplified compared to fluctuations in the ocean. I smell foul in the proposed science of that claim.

really? WWF are a questionable org, might be bogus

Bob Labla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
really? WWF are a questionable org, might be bogus
I've heard that about the reef but if it is true it's probably some other cause. I'm guessing they're playing into the global warming agenda.

Also coral generally likes warmer temps over colder. It can do well in water temp up to about 85°. I doubt the water down there is that warm.

My first instinctive guess would be more than usual cloudy days.

Too bight light could bleach them but I don't think the sun has gotten brighter. Plus that's usually just until they get used to the brighter light than their previous tank had.

Not enough light over a long period would restrict their nutrient intake over a long period and likely keep them bleached.

Last edited:

Bob Labla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's some strange people that bleach their coral on purpose to "give it a different look". They'll put it in low light for a long time but keep feeding it phytoplankton or whatever other filter food they're using. As soon as they put it back in the light, I would imagine the color comes back. I had one coral that had new growth growing into a shaded area. The new growth had been pretty bleached the whole time. I moved it a few days ago and its already coloring up like the rest of it. It was really healthy and thriving, just bleached because it was in a shaded area.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
97df443c93d7923461e26ad4e367dc39.jpg

517a2e492a1f61c28d55f245fc1b0ae5.jpg

Quack treat.

40037b3ff211484839852cf302f38519.jpg

And another autumn blooming native

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

keithu2

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No vape mail or snus mail. For the four day holiday, I was sure today would be a high yield vape mail day :(

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Got another nuppin today. They're kind of a pain to build a single centered coil on, but vape pretty good once they're set up right.
Still waiting for the dripbox and galactika mods to ship.

And, what time does the party start? I have to stop and get some more 'fetti and favors . . . .

VU Sponsors