Become a Patron!

Relatively new vaper from TX / NC seeks advice

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,

I'm a new member on these forums. I've been smoke free and have been enjoying vaping for the last 3+ months. I'm from TX but am going to school in the Charlotte area for the next few years.

My vaping journey began in Sept when a friend introduced me to vaping after I told him that I wanted to quit smoking. He helped me get setup with a Nautilus Mini and gave me his Vision Spinner, as he upgraded to a mechanical mod.

Since then, I've bought several new tanks (Kanger EMOW mega, Aerotank) as well as new batteries (Vision Spinner 2 and my current favorite - innokin MVP (11 watt).

I've been researching the new sub ohm tanks and feel that I am ready to make the jump into sub ohm vaping but I have a lot of questions, I'm hoping you guys can help me make an informed decision / purchase.

My friend recently bought the Aspire Atlantis and I tried it out a few times. It seems great, based on my limited use of it.

I am leaning towards buying the Kangertech Sub Tank, but would need to buy a mod that will power it. I am not into building my own coils at the moment, but am open to the possibility later.

I've been doing a lot of research on box mods and have narrowed my search down to several mods around the $100 range. Could you guys please help me decide on a box mod that would work for both of the current sib ohm tanks as well as future upgrades / tanks?

1. I really like the new 100 watt sigelei plus, would this be a good investment for my needs?

2. I also like the Cloupor mini 30 watt, but read that the quality of Cloupor mods is somewhat lacking?
What about the other Cloupors like T6/T8?

3. I like the Smok box mod that has the Bluetooth compatibility, and is 50 watts, but that seems like a lot of bells and whistles for the price.

4. Any other brands that you could recommend for a relative noob like me?

5. I don't know much about DNA chips, if someone could explain this and the benefits of getting a mod with one of these vs other types of chips (Sihi?)

6. Finally, what about batteries for these mods? I know some batteries are awesome and authentic while others are crappy clones. Where do I buy batteries from so that you know that they are authentic?

Sorry for all of the questions. I would like to purchase my new mod in the next few days to weeks (or longer if something new that is worth waiting for is around the corner). Also sorry for the long thread.

Thanks in advance,
Kill@

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply UncleRJ. I went ahead and submitted my votes. Appreciate your help!

If you get into subohm vaping, I cannot stress enough about battery safety. Know what the amp limit is on the batteries you buy. I suggest the efest 35a or the LG he2 30a. The sigelei is a great box, but it will tear up your battery wraps if you are not carefull. I can't wait to get my hands on the Atlantis.

When you say sub-ohm, are you thinking of subohm tanks or dripping. with dripping the possibilities are near endless on the attys you can pick from. Subohm tanks are somewhat limited.

If you do go by way of dripping, learn how to build your own coils. Some local shops charge as much as $15 to rebuild a coil, which uses around 4" of wire (includes trimmings) you can get 100ft of a kanthal for around the same price online.

Any more questions you have that I didn't answer?

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply mossyvapes. Being a noob to subohm vaping, can you please direct me to the right place so I can learn about batteries and their amp limits? What do you mean when you say that the box mod will "tear up your battery wraps" if I am not careful? I don't want to risk my safety and would like to be an educated vaper. Can I find battery info on the battery forum?

As of now, I am planning on using the sub-ohm tanks that are out on the market, the only two that I know about are the Atlantis and Sub Tank. Are there any others?

As for dripping, my friend did that for a while, and it seems great for flavor and cloud production, but I don't see myself building my own coils and dripping any time soon, mainly due to the ease of just filling a tank vs building and then rebuilding coils and then having to re-load the dripper every few puffs.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Have a Happy and Safe New Years!

jackssurvival

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have an orchid @ .2 ohm clouds great for a tank and flavor is great plus a roll of kanthal and bag of cotton balls lasts forever and is super cheap compared to buying coils for other tanks ..that is now I convinced the wife to hive up the ego and get a mod we just prefer the mech for the size box mods are just not practical for us

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kanger makes many different types of "tanks". Clearomizers is what some will call them too.

"tanks" can mean RTA's as well. An RTA has a rebuild able coil or coils. In reality an RTA is not as much hassle as you might think.

You will get better flavor from an RTA, but Clearomizer are ok too.

As far as batteries, I can give you a quick lesson. Battery capacity is rated in mah. The higher the mah, to more power it holds in the battery.
Batteries are also rated on amp draw. Some batteries even show continuous amp draw, and pulse amp draw. You should try to use a battery in the capacity of CONTINUOUS draw, not pulse. At or below that continuous draw limit. It is VERY important to use your battery within specs. Building lower that a battery can handle can cause venting and explosions.

^^^ on the battery. YouTube is your friend. Just search for what you want and you should find it. As far as it tearing up your wrappers, the contacts on the battery sled can catch on the wrappers when you try to take out the Batts to charge.

The only two designated subohm tanks that I know of are the two you mentioned. However the orchid, kayfun, and fogger can be built sub ohm but I personally don't like them built that low. The vape is way too warm for me.

Once you get into subohm you will want to learn how build your own coils esp on the atlantis. At $3 a piece for the replacement heads, it will get kinda costly replacing a head every 2weeks or so.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get a t6 in red and subtank
The subtank is perfect size for the t6, or
You can get the ELEAF 30 WATTS WITH the aqua v2 expensive stuff are not always better!! GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE!!!
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@KillaB3E Welcome and happy new years!

You're off to a good start and asking the right questions. When it comes to the right mod that choice will be your preference at the end of the day....one aspect isn't just it's features but how it feels in your hand. As I tell everyone...if you have a local vape shop you can visit and ask them to see and feel the mod in your hands than you should...you're under no obligation to buy anything if you want to purchase online...but it never hurts to support the local shop if you can.

I know some of this has been mentioned above but battery knowledge is key! One thing said above is that you want to buy batteries based on their continuous amp drain limit and not their pulse....but what most people don't tell you is that some batteries (especially Efest) advertise their batteries at their pulse drain rate and not their continuous. The LG HE2 has like a 35 amp pulse limit for example but is only a 20 amp continuous drain battery. The Samsung 25R (admittedly one of my favorites) is advertised as a 20 amp battery and is a 20 amp continuous drain battery with a pulse limit of 100 amps. Always look into what batteries you're interested in buying and don't be afraid to ask for help or specific questions. Probably the best site to buy batteries from is RTD Vapor. They aren't cheap but you're getting the battery you're paying for and not some cheap rip off. Lightening Vapes and a few others are also good battery stores....just, please, do not buy batteries on ebay. There is no guarantee on what you get and when I first started vaping I bought 12 batteries from ebay and 10 were fake. Just a word of the wise.

Go try some mods and share your thoughts with us...we're always here to help and shoot the shit. Good luck and enjoy your vaping journey!

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and for all of the info on batteries, etc.

I think i'm going to hold off on purchasing a Sigelei or Cloupor for the time being. I have been a proud owner of an Innokin MVP 11watt/5.0 v mod for the last few months and am now looking forward to the upcoming Innokin MVP 3.0 / 30 watt that was recently announce. I love my Innokin (I'm not sure what version I have) but I love it. I love the fact that it lasts pretty much all day and I'm hoping the new MVP 3.0 / 30 will do the same.

The MVP 3.0 excites me because it'll be the same build that I've come to love and will be able to power both the Atlantis and Kanger Sub-Tank. I'm also excited about the price, I'm guessing that it'll be about $50-60, maybe less.

I'm not opposed to buying a box mod down the line, but I want to see what the MVP has in store (I hope it'll be out soon).

I want to know what you guys think about waiting for the MVP 3.0. Do you think I should skip it and invest in a Sigelei or Cloupor instead?

Thanks again for all of the information on batteries and the welcome.
Ki||@

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Innokin makes great stuff....I had a VTR for a year I used for my work mod and loved it! Someone else did too because I left it in a rental truck and when I went to the rental place the next day to get it back it had already "dissapeared." It was my bad for forgetting it but I know the guys vape there and thought it was their lucky day....Still...even when I used ego batteries I had half a dozen "inno" ones which was their ego batt. I didn't care as much for their clearo's but pretty much any power unit I've used from them I've been more than happy with and is built to last.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Greetings and welcome.

VU Sponsors