Become a Patron!

Rene 41 resistance wire?

Has anyone heard about this "Rene 41 resistance wire" I have heard about this being used by a few people at my local B&M and would like to hear some more opinions.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard of it, the stuff is very tough and heat-resistant compared to Kanthal or Nichrome. A bit harder too I think. Developed for NASA and is considered a "superalloy" metal.

Some data:

Rene 41 is one of the alloys in the group called superalloys or high-performance alloys and was developed by General Electric for use in the aerospace industry. It is commonly used in gas turbine engines where its high temperature strength, creep resistance, fatigue life, phase stability, and oxidation and corrosion resistance makes it an ideal material for the application. Other examples of superalloys are Hastelloy, Inconel, Waspaloy, Haynes alloyes, Incoloy and others. These alloys are also used in power generation, space vehicles, nuclear reactors, bomb casings, chemical processing vessels and many other uses.

If you are using cutting wire longer than 3 or 4 feet, this wire is recommended, or if you just want a wire that will last almost forever, use it for any length.

This wire is tempered unlike nichrome which usually is annealed. This means that it is stiffer and springs back more than nichrome of the same diameter.

The resistance if René wire is about 10% higher than nichrome wire. You can still use the nichrome wire calculator --using 28 gauge nichrome will give you close to the same electrical requirements as for 27 gauge René.

http://jacobs-online.biz/rene_wire.htm
http://www.hightempmetals.com/techdata/hitempRene41data.php

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the sound of this wire! Might have to track some down to wrap a coil with. Wonder how the ohms work out with it..

Finder

Member For 4 Years
Nothing special. It's quite thick and low resistance (4.02 ohms/ft or 13.2 ohms/m) wire intended for foam cutting. It is available only in AWG 27 (0,36 mm). When wrapping around a small diameter is prone to cracking. Keep this in mind when wrapping around screws. The biggest problem is that it slowly heats up, it is quite inert and needs a lot of power. I tried it on the dripper and kayfun and it's very durable, can last forever, but Kanthal works better for me and is much cheaper.

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nothing special. It's quite thick and low resistance (4.02 ohms/ft or 13.2 ohms/m) wire intended for foam cutting. It is available only in AWG 27 (0,36 mm). When wrapping around a small diameter is prone to cracking. Keep this in mind when wrapping around screws. The biggest problem is that it slowly heats up, it is quite inert and needs a lot of power. I tried it on the dripper and kayfun and it's very durable, can last forever, but Kanthal works better for me and is much cheaper.
if it takes awhile to heat up then its no go for me haha

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ya, Dimitris seems to like it, but he was using it on a DNA device with the legit Aqua, IIRC.

GrayMatter

Member For 4 Years
I use it but it's a bugger to work with. Even after heating it, it's still springy. I picked mine up at Jacobs-Online. I have one RDA with dual R41 coils around .4 ohms that I have been using daily at work for a month and it's still going strong. My main go-to build is 26 awg NiChrome macro contact coils around .3-.4 ohms.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The composition of the wire:

Element

Min

Max

Carbon

Manganese

--

Silicon

--

Chromium

Nickel

Balance

Boron

Iron

--

Cobalt

Titanium

Aluminum

Molybdenum

Thrasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
it is a good wire but it is stiff!, builds do seem to last a long time, but the added benefits didnt outweigh the cost and extra care needed for wrapping coils to me when kanthol is 8 buck per 100 feet lol

VU Sponsors