Become a Patron!

Resistance and wattage

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using a tobeco Kennedy rda at 0.6 ohms with a sigelei 150w box mod. I'm new to the vw regulated mods and was just wondering, what's a good/safe wattage to use for that resistance? And if I were to build a lower resistance dual coil of 0.2 ohms what range is safe?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm using a tobeco Kennedy rda at 0.6 ohms with a sigelei 150w box mod. I'm new to the vw regulated mods and was just wondering, what's a good/safe wattage to use for that resistance? And if I were to build a lower resistance dual coil of 0.2 ohms what range is safe?
I build my authentic with a dual parallel build with 28g/24g @ 0.32 and normally run it between 80 and 90w
d2fafd6027116681f73cdaa00d51f811.jpg

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what is a safe range for a 0.6/0.5 ohm build? I just don't want to blow my face apart haha

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So what is a safe range for a 0.6/0.5 ohm build? I just don't want to blow my face apart haha
That would suck.

Seriously, what g wire?
How many wraps ?
A straight 28g/2mm, 6-7 wraps normally puts me around a 0.5 if I remember correctly. And anything over40-45 gave me a harsh taste.
Personally
Usually with microcoils I aim for 7wraps with 24g and stick with 25-30w per coil.

Last edited:

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That would suck.

Seriously, what g wire?
How many wraps ?
A straight 28g/2mm, 6-7 wraps normally puts me around a 0.5 if I remember correctly. And anything over40-45 gave me a harsh taste.
Personally
Usually with microcoils I aim for 7wraps with 24g and stick with 25-30w per coil.
26 gauge wire, 9 wraps on 2.5mm, and it's reading 0.5, just built a new coil.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If it were me I would start at 40w and work my way up till I was happy. You'll probably land between 45-55w

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Safe wise you you're good.

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg Just built my first coils

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 16

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice build!!! Looks great!!!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No worries, enjoy iy

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm currently running that exact build at 50 watts on my Sigelei 100 watt

And if I were to build a lower resistance dual coil of 0.2 ohms what range is safe?
my normal builds are 0.14 to 0.2 ohms @ 75 watts using 20 gauge kanthal. Works fine, but the thicker wire can take a half a second to a second to heat up and longer to cool back down.

All depends on your batteries though and what their max continuous amp draw is.
0.2 ohms @ 75 watts = 19.3 amps, below the 20 amp max continous of most batteries.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You might want to center your coils over both holes. It will probably be a pain in the ass to do, but you might like the results.
^^^ what he said. It makes a huge difference and drape your wick like in the pic up there, that air coming from under the coil adds a huge amount of flavor and vapor

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I tried to, but couldn't seem to get it right, might take me a few more builds to be able to get it where I want it

Last edited:

Thelunchlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^^^ what he said. It makes a huge difference and drape your wick like in the pic up there, that air coming from under the coil adds a huge amount of flavor and vapor
Any tips on how to shift them over? Like I said I'm new to this, this is my first build. The guy at the vape shop built my coil for me when I bought my rda

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any tips on how to shift them over? Like I said I'm new to this, this is my first build. The guy at the vape shop built my coil for me when I bought my rda
Use whatever mm driver you used and push it towards the middle with your fingers on the coils so they don't loosen. Don't push too hard cause you have very thin wire.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I make bends in the wire before i install the coil. It just slides in and u tighen it without messing up the coil

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I tried to, but couldn't seem to get it right, might take me a few more builds to be able to get it where I want it
Coil building takes a little practice. It's just making wire conform to a structure you want to want it too. I have even made square coils. They work, but not for long.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
0.2 ohms @ 75 watts = 19.3 amps, below the 20 amp max continous of most batteries.
Maybe in a mech, but not in a regulated device. Especially one that uses two 18650's in series which supplies 8.4v to the chip. With the batteries fully charged the chip only pulls about 9 amps to make 75 watts. The wattage setting, battery voltage and chip efficiency combine to determine the amp load on the batteries. Coil resistance and coil current have nothing to do with it.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
AC & DC are so much the same but different. Two amps A/C will kill a person. Yet D/C is safe. (to a point). Westinghouse & Edison & Tesla really went at it. Ask a kid where power comes from, I bet they say the wall. ;)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard that if you turned off all the power in the country, 90% of the population would be dead in a year. Yet most people know very little about it. Shameful.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've heard that if you turned off all the power in the country, 90% of the population would be dead in a year. Yet most people know very little about it. Shameful.
I got started in my fascination of power by smoking. Got pissed when my lighter would not lite so I got a Dish @ Rat Shack. Solar beam from the sun, like a magnifying glass. Lit my stinky. I am part of the 10%. I wouldn't like it, but I would survive.

RebelGolfer72

Guilty as charged
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
AC & DC are so much the same but different. Two amps A/C will kill a person. Yet D/C is safe. (to a point). Westinghouse & Edison & Tesla really went at it. Ask a kid where power comes from, I bet they say the wall. ;)
Yes, sort of. No. Sort of. Yes, it takes less AC current than DC current to kill a person, but there are other factors that determine. If the path is directly through the heart, it only takes a 30 mA AC, and about 1/2 A DC. ( http://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-plants/89792-ac-and-dc-shock-comparison/ ). But, anyone who has ever been shocked will tell you, DC is more painful. It burns (think lightning strike).

In the War of the Currents, Edison played up the fact that it takes less current AC to be lethal than DC. Where he fell short in his argument is that the current required to supply a desired voltage any distance became exponentially higher the further you were transmitting it. The advantage AC provided was that the voltage could be stepped up thousands of times higher than needed and stepped down to the desire voltage at the destination. As a result, AC current would be severe magnitudes lower than DC for any significant distance. So AC is relatively safer. (And poses a lower fire risk)

Westinghouse was mainly a locomotive guy, but brought Tesla on when he branched into electrical. The easy thing to remember about any debate about Tesla vs. Anybody...Tesla was right. Marconi was a thief. Edison was a first class asshole.

Sorry if I derail the thread. All things electrical have always been a bit of a passion for me...and yes, Tesla is one person that I have always admired.

VU Sponsors