Become a Patron!

Review of the Vaporflask leather case from Leigh's Leather Goods

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, looky here: I got me some vape mail today:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case01_zps7govy1df.jpg

This is my much awaited parcel from Leigh's Leather Goods in AZ (aka SillyNilly on Etsy). Incidentally, only 12 days to get a parcel from the US with USPS? They've really outdone themselve. That's got to be a record :)

Let's see what what we've got inside:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case02_zpsd4qcaryu.jpg

Leigh's wrapped the case in two layers of paper, held together with a metal pin and a small triangular piece of leather, cleverly reminiscent of her signature double arrow logo. He's also added a leather keychain in the shape of a leaf - which I hadn't requested. Nice touch Leigh, thanks!

In the box is a handwritten thank you note, with a user's manual of sorts at the back:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case03_zpsbqc07bgq.jpg

Here are pictures of the case itself, sans the Vaporflask:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case04_zpsvh0fkojd.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case05_zpspndw06n3.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case06_zpsqhcid8fy.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case07_zpsqrcolttz.jpg

The leather is smooth, supple (but not so much as to deform), doesn't have blemishes, and the stitching work is very nicely done.

The flask slides in easily, but the fit is tight enough that it won't ever slide out on its own. Here's what it looks like in its leather case:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case08_zps9jtz9lsp.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case09_zpsahuj36su.jpg

Due to the flask's, well, flasky shape, there's a tricky problem around the concave part of the mod: the leather would either have to follow the curvature exactly (meaning thicker leather, and/or reinforcing ribs to prevent it from sagging on the other side) or it would have to be stretched taught across it (meaning a gaping hole betwteen the case and the mod).

Leigh's adopted a middle-of-the-road approach: the top of the case is slightly curvy around the lacing, but it doesn't touch the mod. However - and that's the clever bit, to prevent the lacing line from looking slanted vertically, the same gap is also built in the bottom of the case. As a result, the USB socket at the bottom is slightly recessed, but it's almost invisible. This is much better than an uneven-looking case.

Here's what the gap looks like at the top of the case:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case10_zpsbdh2tekx.jpg

The holes for the mod's buttons line up perfectly, and so does the USB port.

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case11_zpsrtn9z2yw.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case12_zpsv4csoizo.jpg

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case13_zpszpsv1qro.jpg

With the thickness of the leather, the fire button now sits under the surface of the case, preventing accidental firing. But it's still easy to reach comfortably

The + and - buttons however... not so much. Hmm, they're pretty much impossible to operate through the case. Bummer... I had requested larger holes to be able to reach them with my fat fingers, but they're not large enough. I guess Leigh has enlarged them as much as she could without breaking the small leather bridge between the buttons.

No matter, I really only use them buttons when I do a dry burn - which isn't that often. I can always remove the mod from the case when I do that.

I also requested a larger cutout for the USB socket, so that even the largest USB plug would go through, and to be able to see the charging light - something that isn't normally possible with the default narrow cutout. That works fine:

Leighs_Leather_Goods-Vaporflask_leather_case14_zpsysskte6a.jpg

What's it like to use it? Well, leather is nice! I like the feel of the material much better than cold metal when I vape, and the texture is much more "alive" than even the superior - but plasticky - texture of the Vaporshark. Firing with the index finger or with the palm is no problem. And gee, does it look nice or what!

At $45.90 for the basic version (without stitches at the bottom, a little more with stitches), and with Leigh's bespoke service, it's a steal really.

Last edited:

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks very nice. I may have her do one for my Kato

Last edited:

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That is sexy! They have some great items on their shop. I'll have to look into that for my next mod!

VU Sponsors