Become a Patron!

'Rhodononna' - Rhodonite meets Nonna's Cake

Heng

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As much as I wish I could claim this recipe as my own, I can't and won't. That being said, it's a twist/variation on the very popular Rhodonite by ENYAWREKLAW.

It's slightly adapted for my taste buds and dare I say it, slightly nicer on the taste buds (at least, for me in the few days I have been vaping them side by side).

Anyway, time to share my take on it, which I've aptly named Rhodononna.

Acetyl Pyrazine : 0.5%
FA Almond 1.5%
TFA Bavarian Cream 0.5% (lower than original)
FA Vienna Cream 0.5% (not in the original recipe)
FA Nonna's Cake 1.5% (instead of Yellow cake - upped the % too, and lowered the cookie)
FA Cookie 1.5% (lowered)
FA Fresh Cream 0.5%
FA Fuji Apple 1%
FA Meringue 1%
INAWERA Rasberry 0.5% (he had this at the sweet spot already)
FA Torrone 0.3%
FA MTS Wizard 0.2%

It's a big one, but damn is it worth it. Sorry to the Americans out there still waiting on the fantastic Nonna's Cake from FA.

Enjoy!

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It will be here in March. I can't wait! I know yall over there are just enjoying rubbing our noses in it too lol I am sooo jealous!!

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
..........by "over there" I mean Anyone who already has it......Grrrrrr ;)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A
FA MTS Wizard 0.2%

I have everything but...MTS Wizard.

Is that in the original recipe?

Thanks!

Ron
----
"Deprived of meaningful work, men and women lose their reason for existence; they go stark, raving mad."- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Heng

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have everything but...MTS Wizard.

Is that in the original recipe?

It's actually optional in the original. I always added it though!

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the recipe Heng, Looks lush! , Just waiting for the INAWERA Raspberry and i'll be on this like a shot.
Dont suppose you did a side by side comparison with and without of the FA MTS Wizard, Just intrigued thats all.

Again
Thanks

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have all ingredients except the INA Raspberry and waiting delivery on the Nonna Cake. I do have FA Raspberry though. Any idea if the FA Raspberry will work in this recipe? Thanks.

sampleit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
only discovered this on redit this week and i already made this with nonna as don't have yellow cake, i had to sub almond with marzipan as i was out of that, but can't say i was impressed, severely disappointed after the hype, has the marzipan really made all the difference?? inw raspberry still overpowers to my palate at 0.5 :-(.
how long did you steep?? the original said good after 24 hrs iv given it 48.
thank you

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
only discovered this on redit this week and i already made this with nonna as don't have yellow cake, i had to sub almond with marzipan as i was out of that, but can't say i was impressed, severely disappointed after the hype, has the marzipan really made all the difference??

Subbing the two ingredients I'm sure made somewhat of a difference in what the original tastes like. I've never had Nonnas so maybe @Heng can comment on the differences there. If you used the same 1.5% of Marzipan vs Almond, I'd guess that made a bit of a change. I would have come down a little on the Marzipan. Have you ever made a mix where INW Raspberry was not over powering to you? I know that some flavors I just can't vape yet a lot of people like them. IE... TFA Strawberry. I HATE that flavor. I taste nothing but strawberry seeds no matter how little I use and it overpowers everything for me.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
only discovered this on redit this week and i already made this with nonna as don't have yellow cake, i had to sub almond with marzipan as i was out of that, but can't say i was impressed, severely disappointed after the hype, has the marzipan really made all the difference?? inw raspberry still overpowers to my palate at 0.5 :-(.
how long did you steep?? the original said good after 24 hrs iv given it 48.
thank you

Almonds one of the key ingredients in the original. Also nonnas cake is nothing like yellow cake (even tho some seem to be calling it a substitute). Think its unfair on the original creator of rhodonite to say you are severely dissapointed after all the hype, when in effect you are making a totally different recipe. I have found a few diyordie recipes really not for me, but I really liked rhodonite. The first time I mixed it I didnt have inawera raspberry so used fa raspberry, and personally I actually preferred it with fa raspberry as the apple element came through a lot more along with the sugaryness too.

sampleit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Subbing the two ingredients I'm sure made somewhat of a difference in what the original tastes like. I've never had Nonnas so maybe @Heng can comment on the differences there. If you used the same 1.5% of Marzipan vs Almond, I'd guess that made a bit of a change. I would have come down a little on the Marzipan. Have you ever made a mix where INW Raspberry was not over powering to you? I know that some flavors I just can't vape yet a lot of people like them. IE... TFA Strawberry. I HATE that flavor. I taste nothing but strawberry seeds no matter how little I use and it overpowers everything for me.
Well I think I will get some yellow cake and almond and revise my comments after. Think I may substitute the inw raspberry for fa raspberry tho as I've always thought it to be overpowering. I remember as soon as I'd added 1.5% marzipan I thought hmm maybe I should of halved it!! I've never bought fw yellow cake so can't really compare to nonna.
Thanx for the replies

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
I made the Rhodoite a while back now and subbed the INAWERA Raspberry for FA Raspberry and all i could taste was Raspberry, it was yuk.

EDIT

Ive made this again but without the Raspberry and its so much better form me, This is me not the recipe at fault.
I don't know what it is with me and some flavours, Some i just can't taste or smell at low % and others like AP, Raspberry, Blackberry etc i find overpowering.

Just bear in mind this is still a very big learning curve to me especially fruit flavours, One drop of fruit the wrong way to 20ml a sample will kill it for me.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I think I will get some yellow cake and almond and revise my comments after. Think I may substitute the inw raspberry for fa raspberry tho as I've always thought it to be overpowering. I remember as soon as I'd added 1.5% marzipan I thought hmm maybe I should of halved it!! I've never bought fw yellow cake so can't really compare to nonna.
Thanx for the replies
I was out of almond and used marzipan once. It is sweeter and the almond is not really there. It isn't like you can taste almond but it is in there and needed. I use the original recipe with fw yellow cake. That makes a difference. I don't add ap and never have. The inw raspberry needs to be right on. If you add too much it will be heavy and change the flavor.

Hopes this helps.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made the Rhodoite a while back now and subbed the INAWERA Raspberry for FA Raspberry and all i could taste was Raspberry, it was yuk .
Even after steeping, So a word of warning use what the recipe says or use FA one drop at a time lol.
I have also made it with fa raspberry. I was strict with the measurement. It is different but not candy like. I think if I was using FA raspberry I would split the almond with marzipan or maybe add some marzipan and leave the almond as is. Thr marzipan will sweeten it some.

chief63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made the original subbing with FA Raspberry and it was OK. I think Joey has a good tip to split the almond with marzipan if using FA Raspberry. Works in other recipes. I do have INAWERA Raspberry incoming and going to try it. Lowering the Cookie is probably a good call. 2% Cookie and 0.5% AP is probably a bit much, at least for me. I could probably go to 1.5% and drop the AP. Nonna hasn't worked for me as a sub for Yellow Cake, but maybe it works here.

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
Back to the drawing board and made this again without the Raspberry and what a difference.
Ive tried this each day after mixing and its definitely getting better with age.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back to the drawing board and made this again without the Raspberry and what a difference.
Ive tried this each day after mixing and its definitely getting better with age.
I would expect so. Raspberry is the main flavor. I guess it's more of an apple thing now.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, Ive got everything here, except my Raspberry is FA, not INW. I may omit it, or cut it down.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, Ive got everything here, except my Raspberry is FA, not INW. I may omit it, or cut it down.
I would split the almond with marzipan or use only marzipan and use the fa raspberry. It is not as sweet as inw raspberry. I used 0.5 fa raspberry before I had inw raspberry. You could try a smaller batch.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I made it with half the raspberry and the almond. If I need to sweeten it there's always Em or other ways.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
just made my third bottle of this up and still loving it. The last two I made were without the raspberry and to me it makes this recipe so much better
It's like there are so many wonderful flavours that are lost behind the raspberry. As a base this is near on perfect.
I think I may dabble with a spot of forest fruit on the next one I make.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just made my third bottle of this up and still loving it. The last two I made were without the raspberry and to me it makes this recipe so much better
It's like there are so many wonderful flavours that are lost behind the raspberry. As a base this is near on perfect.
I think I may dabble with a spot of forest fruit on the next one I make.
I was actually wondering how FA Strawberry would be in the base. Maybe mixed with a touch of TFA Strawberry ripe, just a touch so not to overpower.

chief63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made some up with 0.5% INW Raspberry (used FA the first time) and whoooo...too strong for me. I think I have to bury it outside.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Because of this and the strength I need to go back to less flavored mixes to get my tasting back.

sampleit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
well i made this up with the original ingredients defo a lot better than the nonna and marzipan that i previously subbed with on my 1st attempt, inw raspberry still a little overwhelming tho so may sub with fa raspberry nextime as others have here.

capitaomorsa

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for sharing!
I've made this adaptation to the original recipe in tis thread (from Heng), but with 100% FA flavors, and I love it!
Unfortunately I haven't treed the original, but I'm very happy with this version.

0.75% Almond (FA)
1.5% Cookie (Biscotto) (FA)
0.5% Cream Fresh (FA)
1% Fuji Apple (FA)
0.75% Marzipan (FA)
1% Meringue (FA)
1.5% Nonna's Cake (FA)
0.5% Raspberry (FA)
0.5% Torrone (FA)
1% Vienna Cream (FA)

Flavor total: 9%. Recommended steep time: 1-2 weeks

wazu

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've gotta try this. I just mixed a bunch of new recipes last night. Love Rhodonite. Still steeping a couple of recipes with Nonna's so I've only tried it alone so far. Maybe time to crack some open...

capitaomorsa

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Next time I will reduce Nonna and cookie to 1% each, to me they cover too much the other flavours after steep

tonyp1119

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rhodonite is an extraordinary recipe. I just mix two batches of this stuff because is so good. I kept the recipe just like it is, I use the INAWERA raspberry and kept all the percentages as the creator has them down. Although there's many variations you can make because the recipe is so flexible that you can get many different mixes out of it. @Heng I really like to give it a shot to yours but I really think that the MTS WIZARD will make a big difference in the mix and keep the cookie where It is as in the original. The cookie in conjunction with the cake & the Marzipan is what makes this recipe so interesting. When I did the authentic version I did shake it really good with a beater for about 15 minutes, took the cap off for 6 hours and it was ready the next day. Wonderful Vape! Shout out to Wayne for such of good recipe.

VU Sponsors