Become a Patron!

Rotating battery bays?

Tony Stark

Member For 4 Years
I have seen people recommend rotating married batteries between bays after each charge. The issue I have with this is that I have personally not found any actual evidence to back this up, at least for a regulated mod. While I understand why some might do it with a mech is it really necessary to do with a regulated mod if you are using an external charger which in theory should balance out the batteries if the external charger is functioning properly? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have seen people recommend rotating married batteries between bays after each charge. The issue I have with this is that I have personally not found any actual evidence to back this up, at least for a regulated mod. While I understand why some might do it with a mech is it really necessary to do with a regulated mod if you are using an external charger which in theory should balance out the batteries if the external charger is functioning properly? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!!
no reason at all to do this as long as the batteries are discharging correctly and the charger is correctly charging the battery then it is not necessary. If you want to get more advanced with this you will need a charger that does analysis their are several the OPUS 3100 v2.2 does this as well as a few others remember Liion has no memory

Tony Stark

Member For 4 Years
no reason at all to do this as long as the batteries are discharging correctly and the charger is correctly charging the battery then it is not necessary. If you want to get more advanced with this you will need a charger that does analysis their are several the OPUS does this as well as a few others remember Liion has no memory

Thats what I thought. I'm actually in the market for a new charger as my 2 bay Efest SODA just wont cut it anymore with more mods and batteries in rotation. I have been looking at the Efest LUC V4 and the Xtar VC4 since both have come highly recommended. I'll look into the OPUS as well and see what fits my current budget and needs.

I usually check the voltage reading on my mod and have never been more than a .2 difference which I understand is in the "safe zone"

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It might be going overboard, but I try to swap positions in the mod each time I rotate a pair into service.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
In the mod, it does make some sense to swap them. I wouldn't say it's necessary but depending on how it's wired frequently one battery will have a little lower resistance to the coil just because it's closer to it and will therefore be used harder than the others. So switching which one takes that duty keeps the batteries as close in age as possible. So it's something nice to try to do, but I wouldn't go crazy making sure it's 100% swapped every single time.

Tony Stark

Member For 4 Years
In the mod, it does make some sense to swap them. I wouldn't say it's necessary but depending on how it's wired frequently one battery will have a little lower resistance to the coil just because it's closer to it and will therefore be used harder than the others. So switching which one takes that duty keeps the batteries as close in age as possible. So it's something nice to try to do, but I wouldn't go crazy making sure it's 100% swapped every single time.

That makes sense, especially with unregulated devices. I guess it would just boil down to how organized one is. Having multiple pairs of married batteries I'd have to keep a spread sheet to make sure I did it 100% of the time. I would have to assume that putting married sets in randomly you would be switching bays enough to keep a close enough charge rate.

My only rebuttal to that would be, say you are using the Reuleaux 2/3 in dual battery mode. With the coil appearing to be centered between the two batteries which one would be taking that extra strain? I would have to think the first in the series, if any at all, correct?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That makes sense, especially with unregulated devices. I guess it would just boil down to how organized one is. Having multiple pairs of married batteries I'd have to keep a spread sheet to make sure I did it 100% of the time. I would have to assume that putting married sets in randomly you would be switching bays enough to keep a close enough charge rate.

My only rebuttal to that would be, say you are using the Reuleaux 2/3 in dual battery mode. With the coil appearing to be centered between the two batteries which one would be taking that extra strain? I would have to think the first in the series, if any at all, correct?

i'm not that familiar with that mod, but it's not just physical distance but wiring distance. That mod can't be powering the coil symmetrically from either side because the batteries are in series so only the final positive end will be powering the coil. At the very least if the batteries are in series one battery has to flow electrons through the other battery while the other battery doesn't. It would depend on the mod, its circuitry, and on how much power you're running through it compared to the internal resistance of the batteries how much of a deal all this is. Probably most of the time you're not pushing a mod to its maximum it's not a big deal at all. But it would be theoretically better to always be switching battery positions, even if in most cases it's a tiny effect.

Personally if it were me I'd just randomize the battery positions like you're saying.

VU Sponsors