Saline in your DIY?

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saline-
I've seen people talking about it. Some have reported it makes the flavors "flat" after steeping. Some report a "wetter" vape with no effects on flavor. Has anyone tried it? What are the benefits you experienced? What kind of saline did you use?
Just curious about some other opinions on it.

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use saline in everything I make. I find that it thins out my mostly VG liquids very well. It also give me a better mouth feel to some juices. I have never encountered a flattening of flavors in the short term, but I can't say what happens after a month, because I always have my stuff vaped before then.

I make my own using 3g (about 1/2 tsp) per cup of distilled water. I boil the water on the stove, and add the salt, then put it into a clean bottle after it cools a bit. WARNING!!! Never ever do this in the microwave!!

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use saline in everything I make. I find that it thins out my mostly VG liquids very well. It also give me a better mouth feel to some juices. I have never encountered a flattening of flavors in the short term, but I can't say what happens after a month, because I always have my stuff vaped before then.

I make my own using 3g (about 1/2 tsp) per cup of distilled water. I boil the water on the stove, and add the salt, then put it into a clean bottle after it cools a bit. WARNING!!! Never ever do this in the microwave!!

haha I think I have watched every Mythbusters episode at least 10 times... lots of life lessons to be learned from that show

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used 0.9%NaCl in a few mixes. All bakeries and fruits. I noticed no difference aside from a thinner viscosity.

The only reason I noticed it was as I was vaping, a fruit flavor that was kinda drab, I thought "what the heck", and added some saline.
Gave it a shake, and immediately noticed the difference on the next puff.
If I hadn't tasted it back to back, I probably would not of known the difference either.
I'm not sure it works on all the flavors we mix, but it was enough that night to take notice with that particular juice.
I also notice that the chocolates don't taste so "dry" or "powdery", so I think it adds moisture, and is beneficial to certain flavors.
It makes a difference in the kitchen, so I figured I'd give it a try.
Playing in the "chemistry lab" is half the fun.

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So this has been here a while, but with so many new mixers and in an effort to gather some collective knowledge, maybe you all can post where you use saline and or DW in your mixes. I have found it definitely helps my mixes in a side by side test.. I add 4% saline and 4% DW on the pg side of a 50/50 mix. I don't make many tobacco outside of the ry4 variety so I just use it in fruits and bakery type of things

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is as subjective as the flavors themselves are.
I fine the saline most useful in the fruits.
Then again, some it helps, and some it doesn't.
I also use it to take the "bite" out of juices, and smooth them out.
It's all in the PH, and different for each of us.

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
True that slots. If I remember correctly, I recall reading a post somewhere I don't frequent much anymore that had someone using 10% saline and 10% dw in a high vg mix. Seemed a bit much but like you say there's always a bunch of approaches.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About all I can recommend is to "play" with it, and keep good notes :p
I do like the way it puts "moisture" in the vape ... that can go with any flavor.
Even I you don't notice a flavor improvement, it does help the sinuses.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I cut my hand down to the bone one time and the dr cleaned it out with saline. bout the best use I have found for it lol.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL @wllmc !
I do use it but in small amounts. I don't think it mutes my flavors or does anything special to the juice either.
The reason I use it is because it doesn't dry out my sinuses as bad.
I usually vape a 50/50 blend.
It works for me. :p

Also great wound cleaner. ;)

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was having nasal dryness which adding saline seemed to resolve. 1% of the 0.9% saline solution in my juices does the trick. I don't use salt in my diet and can taste at higher percentages.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just like everything else vape related.... you have to find what works best for YOU.

There are all kinds of additives/flavors etc.
Some will love them and others will hate them.
You will never know unless you try it yourself.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all Wow 2ndInCommand, WHAT HAPPENED :confused: ... nobody on here since June except you me, and all of a sudden I look around and there's a crowd :eek:
Love it .... Hi Jimmi ... Hi Vanilla
Wllmc, you crack me up, as usual
It was such a shock to have the room fill up all in one day ... had to say something
"Ld3441", haven't run into you before .. thanks for backing me up about the sinus situation ... glad I'm not the only one it helps
I don't automatically add it to every juice I make, .... usually adding it happens after I try the juice on it's own first.
If it really helped or made a difference, I make a note on the recipe.
Always looking for "better"

Gee's, can't get over the gang all of a suddenly showing up like that :D
Not just stragglers popping it and out ... are you guys traveling in a herd together ??? or just all on the same bus :p

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey Slots!
We chatted a bit early in the summer. I am around but often don't say much.
I add my saline to my base. It is easier for me that way.
I try to make mixing as easy as possible so I make up base in large amounts.
Then I just have to add flavors when I want to mix.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Slots!
We chatted a bit early in the summer. I am around but often don't say much.
Ok, that explains it ... short memory here ... need repetition for it to stick :confused:
Putting it in your base saves a lot of work.
Glad you found a way to make life easier ;)

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For flavor clarity, I just use H2O. Also moistens my juice and vaporizes beautifully :)
Jimmi
Yep, have your formula 60/40/10 ...I can see how it takes care of the "moisture" end of things, but that won't tell you if the saline part will make it even better ...... or not :)

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm telling you slots! Hey ask for an opinion and you already know what's gonna happen. Thing is around here you most often get an intelligent, considered one,which can be rare. I thought I might be on the high side with my mix, so I'm gonna be dropping back a bit. Trouble is I don't get t ok see what it does with time cuz I vape then move on to another flavor!

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And Slots you are correct, that bunch does travel in a pack! They really need some sort of title Maybe The FlavourArt(which is what we prefer to use but only if it works best in our recipe because we just want a really awesome vape thank you very much)Mafia. Or something like that anyway.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
And Slots you are correct, that bunch does travel in a pack! They really need some sort of title Maybe The FlavourArt(which is what we prefer to use but only if it works best in our recipe because we just want a really awesome vape thank you very much)Mafia. Or something like that anyway.

FlavourArt Mafia ... here's another one. lol! But it's FlavourArt Club, not Mafia. (I don't do saline, so I'll leave now)

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Learned two things there Club is preferred. And HIC doesn't do the saline. And it's not even lunch yet! Does HIC do the DW or does HIC not do the DW? Inquiring minds want to know

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Does HIC do the DW or does HIC not do the DW? Inquiring minds want to know

HIC adds tap water to thin an all-VG nic base enough to wick well in cheap-o tanks. (Lucky HIC has very pure tap water, but prefers very basic hardware.)

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC doesn't use distiller water :eek:
BTY, what's "basic" hardware ????

I use 4 ego twists w /mini ProTanks, and 2 ProVari's plus 2 Vamos w/ regular ProTanks
Yep, have 8 flavors going at all times ... 4 at one end of the house, and 4 at the other.
All the fancy, shiny, super expensive stuff, mechanicals plus other spares and back-ups, plus "parts" for everything, sit's in a drawer .. never used (yet)
FDA, ya know.. :rolleyes:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
BTY, what's "basic" hardware ????
I use 4 ego twists w /mini ProTanks, and 2 ProVari's plus 2 Vamos w/ regular ProTanks
Yep, have 8 flavors going at all times ... 4 at one end of the house, and 4 at the other.
All the fancy, shiny, super expensive stuff, mechanicals plus other spares and back-ups, plus "parts" for everything, sit's in a drawer .. never used (yet)
FDA, ya know.. :rolleyes:

Slots, you and I have similar hardware and habits. I have a battalion of eGo-like batteries and various mini-pro-tank-like tanks. I don't drip, I don't sub-ohm, but I do keep about a dozen battery+tank setups handy all the time with different juice. They're usually color-coded to remind me what's in there. A "big" battery for me is a 2200 mAh eGo; a "big" tank holds 2.5 ml (I don't have the attention span to vape one flavor longer than that).

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Slots, I don't drip, I don't sub-ohm, but I do keep about a dozen battery+tank setups handy all the time with different juice. They're usually color-coded to remind me what's in there.

"similar tastes" is correct ... I don't drip or sub-ohm either.
I have all kinds of equipment to drip with, just don't have the patience.
As you know ... I'm still doing nothing but testing .. solo flavorings by different company's, recipes, tweaked recipes, ...also testing all the old juices that I actually paid money for :(
A few are good, and I put those away for later, but I've sure got a lot of empty bottles from the ones I've dumped down the drain.
I only make 2ml samples, so whatever pours into the tank empting that bottle is as full as the tank ever gets.
I only switch out 3 tanks a day, and I foresee months of "testing" ahead of me.

I started out using "color coding", but when I went to using more that 4 tanks, I got lost about which was what :confused:
Now, when I mix up the juice, I put one of those stick and peel labels on the bottle, and when I transfer the juice to a tank, the label goes from the bottle to the battery, so I know what's in there.

I found 3 "yummies" from INW this week .. that kinda surprised me, because before that, I had found quite a few that sucked !
I was beginning to think the whole line was going to go off my radar.
Plus, I haven't tried the Shisha flavors I have yet ... still hope left :D
I think I told you I really liked and have a lot of plans for their "Biscuit" (not the Spicy Biscuit) .. just the regular Biscuit (haven't tested the spicy one yet)
Think you would find it a LOT better than FA "Bread Crust"

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I think I told you I really liked and have a lot of plans for their "Biscuit" (not the Spicy Biscuit) .. just the regular Biscuit (haven't tested the spicy one yet)
Think you would find it a LOT better than FA "Bread Crust"

I have both of them. Anything is better than Bread Crust, lol! My favorite cookies still use FA Cookie (and lately lots of spices I choose myself).

Green tank, hmmm..lime? green apple? spearmint? I know what you mean there!

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Green tank, hmmm..lime? green apple? spearmint? I know what you mean there!
I'm planning on being more organized in the future.
When I finally get down to just the good juices, and start making bigger batches, I have purchased a bunch of bottles with different colored caps.
I have blue, green, black, orange, and white.
I figure that will give me a clue.
Tobacco's in black, fruits in green, bakery in orange, sweets in blue, odd balls like rum and coke in white.
That way I won't have to look so long for what I'm after.
I always have good intentions ... in the beginning :p

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Tobacco's in black, fruits in green, bakery in orange, sweets in blue, odd balls like rum and coke in white.

I would spend a lot of time changing lids, lol. It's mostly bakery, so orange lid. But it's fruity, so maybe green. and it has rum, aaaahhh! I get hung up on stuff like that, more than normal people...

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would spend a lot of time changing lids, lol. It's mostly bakery, so orange lid. But it's fruity, so maybe green. and it has rum, aaaahhh! I get hung up on stuff like that, more than normal people...
LOL ..I hear that... same thing happened with my recipe filing system
Need I repeat: I always have good intentions ... in the beginning :p

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd need 7 egos when I left the house for work! I drive a truck so reliability and battery life are key, and I like to swap flavors often, so I enjoy RBAs for that One tank, New cotton and done. Work setup is rDNA, with my old ass mvp1 and an istick as backups with russians/kayfuns/lemos as toppers.Different finishes like you all, so I know what I have in there. If I get stuck somewhere, I love seeing that mvp! Remember kids, don't drip and drive.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd need 7 egos when I left the house for work! I drive a truck so reliability and battery life are key, and I like to swap flavors often.
Yep, I never put more than 1.5 to 2ml in the tanks, otherwise I get tired of it, and relish swapping flavors.
I drove a semi for 25 years, but I was smoking all those years ... don't you have a place to plug in and recharge .. a car type or in the computer maybe ??
I guess they quit putting cigarette lighters in the models you guys drive today, .. and I'm sure the computer doesn't have a USB now that I have a minute to think about it. The computers my company had were just "tattle tales" and spies :mad:

Gee's commander ... I'd grab that much equipment just to go to town for the day (almost) :rolleyes: .. Ok, I only take 4 and a spare battery, but don't ask about when I'm gone for overnight :p
I love my hobby, I'm not addicted ......I love my hobby, I'm not addicted,...

I got into my LA Cherry today ...all set for a nice cherry off the tree, or even cherry pie type
:eek: It's MARASCHINO !!! ...that was a surprise... there's no mention of that anywhere.
One thing about it, it doesn't destroy your taste buds like the TFA one does ...WOW
I think the same person that made their Caramel Cappuccino made their Maraschino.
So, it nice to know I have a fairly decent one (in LA) to use when wanted.

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
we can plug in, so my truck mods all have usb chargers built in, but I've got the worst luck of any Irishman you've ever met. I always have visions of the serpentine belt going, battery box falling off, that kinda thing. Guy I know hit a crater near the GWB, and his SVD flew outta his hand and out the window. Good times.

VU Sponsors