Become a Patron!

samsung INR 18650s

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so after some research i ended up getting 4 of these samsung cells and a nigecore D2 charger (love that thing!). the samsung cells are VERY nice so far. i have never used the sony cells so i cant compare there, but they are nicer than the AWs i have had.

anyway, i saw some talk on here about cordless tool MFGs using the samsung cells in there battery packs. and it just so happens i had access to a brand new milwaukee pack that would fully charge, but would not power a tool. so i went ahead and opened the pack up and look what i found... 10 samsung INR 18650s!

just thought i would share. at some point today i hope to find an easy way to get them out. the contacts seem to be almost spot welded and are on there pretty good.

d5FXaIg.jpg

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so after some research i ended up getting 4 of these samsung cells and a nigecore D2 charger (love that thing!). the samsung cells are VERY nice so far. i have never used the sony cells so i cant compare there, but they are nicer than the AWs i have had.

anyway, i saw some talk on here about cordless tool MFGs using the samsung cells in there battery packs. and it just so happens i had access to a brand new milwaukee pack that would fully charge, but would not power a tool. so i went ahead and opened the pack up and look what i found... 10 samsung INR 18650s!

just thought i would share. at some point today i hope to find an easy way to get them out. the contacts seem to be almost spot welded and are on there pretty good.

d5FXaIg.jpg
I absolutely loves these batteries.
And DAAAMN that a really nice find right there. I'm fucking jealous :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will need a soldering iron to get the contacts off. Do it quick so the least amount of heat soaks the cells. Hotter the iron the better.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will need a soldering iron to get the contacts off. Do it quick so the least amount of heat soaks the cells. Hotter the iron the better.

i am considering just trimming the contacts around where they are soldered on... leaving the little plate soldered on. essentially adding a mm or two to the overall length, but it shouldn't be a problem right?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every link added to the chain adds resistance (heat and power loss) so I wouldn't. Also, depending on how cleanly you cut those down, if that helps the terminal reach a piece of metal that it shouldn't reach and wouldn't without that piece on it... you would have been much better taking it off in hind sight.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every link added to the chain adds resistance (heat and power loss) so I wouldn't. Also, depending on how cleanly you cut those down, if that helps the terminal reach a piece of metal that it shouldn't reach and wouldn't without that piece on it... you would have been much better taking it off in hind sight.

can you elaborate on using the soldering iron to get those contact tabs off? just heat them from the top? directly into the dimple?

i have a little soldering experience, but not much. are there any other ways you can think of to get them detached? i assume forcing them to pop off is a bad idea...?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, give the iron lots of time to get to it's max temp and hold it on top of the connector for the least amount of time possible. As soon as the solder starts to loosen up the tab should come off with ease.
There will be a little solder left on the battery, you can either use a solder sucker or some wire to soak it up.
see this vid

Unsoldering is the best way to do it.

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2c5000, exactly what battery pac and from what model Milwaukee? I'm gonna hit every pawn shop in the Orlando area

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You may be able to use a pair of pliers and "roll" the metal piece off. I've done it multiple times on smaller cells.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2c5000, exactly what battery pac and from what model Milwaukee? I'm gonna hit every pawn shop in the Orlando area

its an M18 Red Lithium XC pack that fits many of their current lineup. i dont remember exactly which model drill i got (same packs), but its brushless and is also a hammer drill.

for the record i LOVE this drill!

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so forcing or prying the tabs off wont damage the cell?
No. Make sure to roll it though. That way it will come off MUCH easier. Don't pry or yank.

VU Sponsors