Save Money By Vaping!?

Discussion in 'Vaping Related But Doesn't Fit In a Category' started by VAPEROXX, Aug 10, 2019.

1. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Stop smoking and start vaping they said! Don't buy coils, build your own coils they said! Don't buy juice, make your own they said! You'll save lots of money they said! It'll be fun they said! I just though that after 6 years of vaping, I would ask everyone; when is this point where I start saving money? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Wire Spider

2. wildgypsy70

wildgypsy70 My son calls me "vape mom" Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    Lolololololol!

But seriously, regular everyday vapers probably save money. Lunatics like us that become hobbyists? Lolololololol!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dubya314, Ryedan, Synphul and 8 others like this.
  3. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    :giggle:Right on the money :giggle:

4. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Mod Team Leader Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    It's possible to save money but you have to try really hard.

Rhianne, Wb80, VAPEROXX and 2 others like this.
  5. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    I know right!? I have NEVER done anything small. 7 years ago, I was buying $300 worth of cigarettes a month, give or take. Today, if you break down one (one) of my rigs; 4 batteries @ $7 each, mod @ $80, RTA @ $80, current coils @ $18, 28ml of juice @ $6, that comes to $212! Just for TONIGHT'S vaping pleasure! I have 20 more rigs waiting in the wings at least, not to mention gallons of juice I could make and hundreds of miles of wire waiting to be spun into beautiful coils! But hey! The dude at the vape shop says I'm SAVING money! Lmaooooo!

The Wire Spider

6. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    They should change that to not saving money but having something to show for all the money spent instead of Ashes

7. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    I literally have over $600 sitting on my kitchen counter, just in hardware alone! And that's just today's rotation! Somebody's saving money, but it ain't me ROFLMAO! [​IMG]

The Wire Spider

dubya314, DonBaldy, gadget! and 4 others like this.
  8. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm not even remotely considering going back! But that whole sales pitch about saving money by switching to vaping should only be stated by a vape shop employee after a customer completes some kind of personality questionnaire or survey!

The Wire Spider

Ryedan, gadget!, Rhianne and 3 others like this.
  9. Wb80

Wb80 -DIY-demon- VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Lmfao....my wife asks me the same question all the time. While yes daily juice and coil costs save $ over smoking i have spent far more $ on gear.

gadget!, Rhianne, wildgypsy70 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    I know exactly what you mean. I have 5 that equals a used car. Lmao

11. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    You need to do some advanced accounting methods, and deduct the costs of a heart attack you didn't have or savings on chemotherapy, etc

You may be saving tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars!

Bluenatic, dubya314, gadget! and 5 others like this.
  12. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    Chemotherapy is 18000 for one of the bags. The second bag my wife got was 7000. Way more than it should cost. But you get what you pay for. She's cancer free.

13. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    Sad for the monetary cost, but super dooper elated on the outcome :hug:

gopher_byrd, Ryedan, Letitia9 and 6 others like this.
  14. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Challenge Team Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    I think if you vape like my wife you save money... if you vape like those of us that are hobbyists you collect gear .
    She buys a mod and tank once a year and diy juice supplies.
    I buy a mod or atty once a month, wire (for both of us), diy supplies and a few odds and ends.
    Really though, I was smoking two lacs a day when I smoked so, lets say 300 a month. I know spend less than that on vaping, so I guess I’m still “saving.”

gopher_byrd, dubya314, Ryedan and 6 others like this.
  15. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! ROFLMAO!

The Wire Spider

MrMeowgi, Rhianne and wildgypsy70 like this.
  16. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    Well...that's true!

The Wire Spider

wildgypsy70 likes this.
  17. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    That's absolutely amazing! All the love to MrsMeowgi!

The Wire Spider

Rhianne, wildgypsy70 and MrMeowgi like this.
  18. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    I think the best vision of this we can have is that vaping saved our lives, which is far more valuable than any amount of money!

The Wire Spider

wildgypsy70 likes this.
  19. 516_vaper_li

516_vaper_li Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    You’re saving years of your life!

gsmit1, VAPEROXX, wildgypsy70 and 2 others like this.
  20. wildgypsy70

wildgypsy70 My son calls me "vape mom" Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    Ooooo, this is good thinking! I like it!

bikerboogieman, Rhianne and VAPEROXX like this.
  21. wildgypsy70

Blog Posts:
    Yep. If I sold a few rigs? Could definitely buy a used car.....

Rhianne and VAPEROXX like this.
  22. wildgypsy70

Blog Posts:
    This, too!

VAPEROXX and Rhianne like this.
  23. Rhianne

Rhianne Platinum Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    But those coils are freaking beautiful, VR. I know I’m not helping, but I’m throwing my two cents in. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildgypsy70 and VAPEROXX like this.
  24. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    Really happy to hear your wife’s okay, bro. That’s amazing! Yay!

wildgypsy70, VAPEROXX and MrMeowgi like this.
  25. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    It’s forward thinking logic! :giggle: But I am saving over buying four packs every few days. At this point in my vaping journey I’m saving, but you never know what the future holds though. ;)

26. IcepickMaker84

IcepickMaker84 VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    As a hobbyist I’d say I spend about the same as a pack per day but my wife who vapes purely to avoid smoking definitely spends less.

dubya314, Rhianne and wildgypsy70 like this.
  27. gsmit1

gsmit1 Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Lotsa great stuff on his page, but this is the biggest factor right here.

There are approximately 4 million vapers in the U.S. I'm betting 3 million of them couldn't possibly care less about the stuff we talk about here every day. They pick something up and buy coils and juice until it breaks and then get a new one, pretty much like the old one. The vast majority are ex smokers who are definitely spending anywhere from no more to far less than they were on smoking, Depending on how much they smoked and how much (and what) they now vape.

There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist. It's intellectually stimulating, keeps the hands busy, develops some useful skills and makes one part of a community.

BUT...

It ain't dirt cheap and CAN get downright expensive lol.

I won't mention any names I can think of off the top of my head like @Carambrda @robfisher or @MannyScoot , but their combined collections alone could probably buy a decent house outright. There's nuthin wrong with that either. :cool: There are far worse things to spend money on.

28. wildgypsy70

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Lol! Some of us(cough, cough) take it to a whole new level. But I’d rather tinker with my flavors and coils and mods than smoke.....hands down.

dubya314, Letitia9, Rhianne and 4 others like this.
  29. wildgypsy70

Blog Posts:
    Lol! And that’s not even a high end mod! My nice mods aren’t even high end mods! Lololol! We really are lunatics......good lunatics, but.......:giggle::giggle::giggle:

(AND.....don’t forget to mention the dozens of complete rigs ready for the vapocolypse.)

Letitia9, Rhianne, Wb80 and 2 others like this.
  30. Wb80

Blog Posts:
    Only 4 packs every few days?! Lol. Between my wife and myself we were 5 packs a day. Obviously now i am no smokes a day and she is about 2 packs a day(i am working on getting her th o all vape. Its a slow process as she has smoked over 30 years).

31. Wb80

Blog Posts:
    My wife laughs at my vape armageddon stash, i love hearing that others are vape preppers just like me. But if the united states grid goes down or big brother fuks easy vape sopping up having a bavk up stash.

VAPEROXX, Letitia9 and Rhianne like this.
  32. gadget!

gadget! "The Trader" VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years VU SWAT

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

33. Grandpa

Grandpa Bronze Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    $75 a carton every week when I quit... I buy stuff but I also do a lot of DIY. Juice, coils, etc. I know I'm not spending $300 a month.

34. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    75 a carton? Holy crap

Grandpa and VAPEROXX like this.
  35. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I’d forgotten about Maury Povich!! Lol That was a funny meme, Gadget.

gadget!, VAPEROXX and MrMeowgi like this.
  36. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    When did you quit? It’s $14 a pack in NY, mostly from the city and state tax.

VAPEROXX likes this.
  37. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    That’s a cheap $7.50 a pack!!

VAPEROXX likes this.
  38. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    Man that's still outrageous. They about 5 bucks a pack for camels here. That's with tax. My wife smoke pall mall menthol and it's 38 a carton.

Rhianne and VAPEROXX like this.
  39. gsmit1

gsmit1 Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Try this. I just put it up.14 seconds.

40. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Not too hard.
    Been vaping over 4 years. when I started smoking was costing me ~150/mo.
    In those 4 years I have built up at least 30 years worth of hardware and my monthly vaping expendatures were always under 1/2 of what I spent on smoking.
    I do not pursue the latest and greatest. I find something I like usually on clearance and buy several of them
    I have been 100% DIY for most of the 4 years. Due to allergic? issues with most commercial juice but it is also cheap.
    I quickly started using only rebuildables.
    For the past 1.5 years my avg monthly vaping expenses have been no more than $20.
    I have enough wire for over 20 years, enough cotton for around the same amount of time and enough on hand DIY supplies for more than another year.
    I have probably binned around $300 worth of early vape stuff. Cigalikes and ego style stuff.
    So now my 1.5 PAD smoking habit would cost me over $200/mo and I spend on average around $20.
    And that $20 figures in spread out battery costs.
    I think that I have spent around $75 so far this year on vaping stuff and that includes 8 oz of flavoring and 3 mods.

Yeah my vaping is not glamorous but it works for me.
    I am the Frugal Vapist.
    :)

gopher_byrd, dubya314, Ryedan and 3 others like this.
  41. Jinx'd

Jinx'd Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    you want to save money vaping ? stay away, far away, from VU ! you could ask me how I know, but you already know.
    if I didn't get hooked on these fancy pants mods, I would be saving money. and I didn't smoke a lot, about $100 a month, $75 a carton.

42. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I avoid the spend your money threads and the only vape reviewer I watch is Todd.
    I like him and no way I can afford the unobtanium mods he shows off so no foul :)

43. Wb80

Blog Posts:
    Like 12$ plus A pack in chicago

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Rhianne likes this.
  44. Jinx'd

Jinx'd Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    yeah, "in" Chicago. out in the burbs, least around here, $7-8.

Rhianne likes this.
  45. wildgypsy70

Blog Posts:
    :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Rhianne and The Cromwell like this.
  46. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Marlboros are still a bit under $5/pack here.

Rhianne likes this.
  47. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Mod Team Leader Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    If you are spending less on vaping than the price of a month's worth of cigarettes it's a total win.

That's how I thought of it when I started vaping.
    Now that the price of cigarettes has doubled and I have plenty of gear I'm sure I come out way ahead yearly.

Once I find something I like I usually stick with it for as long as possible which is much easier now that there aren't as many new innovations as back in the day.
    From 2012 to 2016 the devices kept getting better and more powerful so i'd be constantly upgrading my gear.

Now these stupid pod devices came along which to me are more convenient in public so now I have to buy expensive eliquid again all of a sudden.
    The only good thing about it is that nic salt at high nic levels lasts a lot longer.

It's still a scam though because nic salt base is no more expensive or harder to find then regular nic but somehow no one can come up with a budget nic salt eliquid and a bottle size over 30ml's.

Once I get where i'm going I'll use my regular box mod / RTA setups.
    When I used them all the time whenever I was outside of a store or something I'd look up after a few vapes and people would be eyeballing me.
    If I use the pod device most people don't even notice.

48. Jinx'd

Jinx'd Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    lol, almost every thread is "spend your money".

Todd, never seen that guy before.

Rhianne likes this.
  49. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I am old and do not give a rats ass what others think about my vaping :)

My out an about vape is a Wasp Squeeze combo in a belt holder thing.
    Looks no more dorky that a smart phone hanging on ones belt.

Rhianne, MrMeowgi and JuicyLucy like this.
  50. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    In other words, really, really dorky

Ryedan, nadalama, Rhianne and 4 others like this.