Become a Patron!

Save Money By Vaping!?

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Stop smoking and start vaping they said! Don't buy coils, build your own coils they said! Don't buy juice, make your own they said! You'll save lots of money they said! It'll be fun they said! I just though that after 6 years of vaping, I would ask everyone; when is this point where I start saving money?
d6ed8cbc583c12fde9a4f761c7f2023f.jpg
c7c817ef22fc6cf9a7aa819592a4f3b8.jpg
420e829bb8824733dbc6d63674622a72.jpg
74694366d2650f59a4cc6b87eae79c1f.jpg
b4a6bd706e6c50a34327bb7207e5d7b1.jpg
428ffb0706f161523c93638b59813819.jpg
762c1d6c7fbe3572e114d0913e2d28c4.jpg
386c24671557e420b525e00e324332f5.jpg
fdc032f2ecab8e0f0c5ec263b97a4eed.jpg

The Wire Spider

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lolololololol!

But seriously, regular everyday vapers probably save money. Lunatics like us that become hobbyists? Lolololololol!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Lolololololol!

But seriously, regular everyday vapers probably save money. Lunatics like us that become hobbyists? Lolololololol!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know right!? I have NEVER done anything small. 7 years ago, I was buying $300 worth of cigarettes a month, give or take. Today, if you break down one (one) of my rigs; 4 batteries @ $7 each, mod @ $80, RTA @ $80, current coils @ $18, 28ml of juice @ $6, that comes to $212! Just for TONIGHT'S vaping pleasure! I have 20 more rigs waiting in the wings at least, not to mention gallons of juice I could make and hundreds of miles of wire waiting to be spun into beautiful coils! But hey! The dude at the vape shop says I'm SAVING money! Lmaooooo!

The Wire Spider

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm not even remotely considering going back! But that whole sales pitch about saving money by switching to vaping should only be stated by a vape shop employee after a customer completes some kind of personality questionnaire or survey!

The Wire Spider

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Stop smoking and start vaping they said! Don't buy coils, build your own coils they said! Don't buy juice, make your own they said! You'll save lots of money they said! It'll be fun they said! I just though that after 6 years of vaping, I would ask everyone; when is this point where I start saving money?
d6ed8cbc583c12fde9a4f761c7f2023f.jpg
c7c817ef22fc6cf9a7aa819592a4f3b8.jpg
420e829bb8824733dbc6d63674622a72.jpg
74694366d2650f59a4cc6b87eae79c1f.jpg
b4a6bd706e6c50a34327bb7207e5d7b1.jpg
428ffb0706f161523c93638b59813819.jpg
762c1d6c7fbe3572e114d0913e2d28c4.jpg
386c24671557e420b525e00e324332f5.jpg
fdc032f2ecab8e0f0c5ec263b97a4eed.jpg

The Wire Spider
Lmfao....my wife asks me the same question all the time. While yes daily juice and coil costs save $ over smoking i have spent far more $ on gear.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I literally have over $600 sitting on my kitchen counter, just in hardware alone! And that's just today's rotation! Somebody's saving money, but it ain't me ROFLMAO!
5c1a09b39a764198f90652cafc337b94.jpg

The Wire Spider

You need to do some advanced accounting methods, and deduct the costs of a heart attack you didn't have or savings on chemotherapy, etc

You may be saving tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need to do some advanced accounting methods, and deduct the costs of a heart attack you didn't have or savings on chemotherapy, etc

Chemotherapy is 18000 for one of the bags. The second bag my wife got was 7000. Way more than it should cost. But you get what you pay for. She's cancer free.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think if you vape like my wife you save money... if you vape like those of us that are hobbyists you collect gear .
She buys a mod and tank once a year and diy juice supplies.
I buy a mod or atty once a month, wire (for both of us), diy supplies and a few odds and ends.
Really though, I was smoking two lacs a day when I smoked so, lets say 300 a month. I know spend less than that on vaping, so I guess I’m still “saving.”

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Well...that's true!

The Wire Spider

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think if you vape like my wife you save money... if you vape like those of us that are hobbyists you collect gear .
She buys a mod and tank once a year and diy juice supplies.
I buy a mod or atty once a month, wire (for both of us), diy supplies and a few odds and ends.
Really though, I was smoking two lacs a day when I smoked so, lets say 300 a month. I know spend less than that on vaping, so I guess I’m still “saving.”
I think the best vision of this we can have is that vaping saved our lives, which is far more valuable than any amount of money!

The Wire Spider

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I know right!? I have NEVER done anything small. 7 years ago, I was buying $300 worth of cigarettes a month, give or take. Today, if you break down one (one) of my rigs; 4 batteries @ $7 each, mod @ $80, RTA @ $80, current coils @ $18, 28ml of juice @ $6, that comes to $212! Just for TONIGHT'S vaping pleasure! I have 20 more rigs waiting in the wings at least, not to mention gallons of juice I could make and hundreds of miles of wire waiting to be spun into beautiful coils! But hey! The dude at the vape shop says I'm SAVING money! Lmaooooo!

The Wire Spider

But those coils are freaking beautiful, VR. I know I’m not helping, but I’m throwing my two cents in. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lolololololol!

Lotsa great stuff on his page, but this is the biggest factor right here.

There are approximately 4 million vapers in the U.S. I'm betting 3 million of them couldn't possibly care less about the stuff we talk about here every day. They pick something up and buy coils and juice until it breaks and then get a new one, pretty much like the old one. The vast majority are ex smokers who are definitely spending anywhere from no more to far less than they were on smoking, Depending on how much they smoked and how much (and what) they now vape.

There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist. It's intellectually stimulating, keeps the hands busy, develops some useful skills and makes one part of a community.

BUT...

It ain't dirt cheap and CAN get downright expensive lol.

I won't mention any names I can think of off the top of my head like @Carambrda @robfisher or @MannyScoot , but their combined collections alone could probably buy a decent house outright. There's nuthin wrong with that either. :cool: There are far worse things to spend money on.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lotsa great stuff on his page, but this is the biggest factor right here.

There are approximately 4 million vapers in the U.S. I'm betting 3 million of them couldn't possibly care less about the stuff we talk about here every day. They pick something up and buy coils and juice until it breaks and then get a new one, pretty much like the old one. The vast majority are ex smokers who are definitely spending anywhere from no more to far less than they were on smoking, Depending on how much they smoked and how much (and what) they now vape.

There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist. It's intellectually stimulating, keeps the hands busy, develops some useful skills and makes one part of a community.

BUT...

It ain't dirt cheap and CAN get downright expensive lol.

I won't mention any names I can think of off the top of my head like @Carambrda @robfisher or @MannyScoot , but their combined collections alone could probably buy a decent house outright. There's nuthin wrong with that either. :cool: There are far worse things to spend money on.
Yup. Lol! Some of us(cough, cough) take it to a whole new level. But I’d rather tinker with my flavors and coils and mods than smoke.....hands down.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

The Wire Spider
Lol! And that’s not even a high end mod! My nice mods aren’t even high end mods! Lololol! We really are lunatics......good lunatics, but.......:giggle::giggle::giggle:

(AND.....don’t forget to mention the dozens of complete rigs ready for the vapocolypse.)

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It’s forward thinking logic! :giggle: But I am saving over buying four packs every few days. At this point in my vaping journey I’m saving, but you never know what the future holds though. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only 4 packs every few days?! Lol. Between my wife and myself we were 5 packs a day. Obviously now i am no smokes a day and she is about 2 packs a day(i am working on getting her th o all vape. Its a slow process as she has smoked over 30 years).

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Lol! And that’s not even a high end mod! My nice mods aren’t even high end mods! Lololol! We really are lunatics......good lunatics, but.......:giggle::giggle::giggle:

(AND.....don’t forget to mention the dozens of complete rigs ready for the vapocolypse.)
My wife laughs at my vape armageddon stash, i love hearing that others are vape preppers just like me. But if the united states grid goes down or big brother fuks easy vape sopping up having a bavk up stash.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
$75 a carton every week when I quit... I buy stuff but I also do a lot of DIY. Juice, coils, etc. I know I'm not spending $300 a month.

When did you quit? It’s $14 a pack in NY, mostly from the city and state tax.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's possible to save money but you have to try really hard.
Not too hard.
Been vaping over 4 years. when I started smoking was costing me ~150/mo.
In those 4 years I have built up at least 30 years worth of hardware and my monthly vaping expendatures were always under 1/2 of what I spent on smoking.
I do not pursue the latest and greatest. I find something I like usually on clearance and buy several of them
I have been 100% DIY for most of the 4 years. Due to allergic? issues with most commercial juice but it is also cheap.
I quickly started using only rebuildables.
For the past 1.5 years my avg monthly vaping expenses have been no more than $20.
I have enough wire for over 20 years, enough cotton for around the same amount of time and enough on hand DIY supplies for more than another year.
I have probably binned around $300 worth of early vape stuff. Cigalikes and ego style stuff.
So now my 1.5 PAD smoking habit would cost me over $200/mo and I spend on average around $20.
And that $20 figures in spread out battery costs.
I think that I have spent around $75 so far this year on vaping stuff and that includes 8 oz of flavoring and 3 mods.

Yeah my vaping is not glamorous but it works for me.
I am the Frugal Vapist.
:)

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
you want to save money vaping ? stay away, far away, from VU ! you could ask me how I know, but you already know.
if I didn't get hooked on these fancy pants mods, I would be saving money. and I didn't smoke a lot, about $100 a month, $75 a carton.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you want to save money vaping ? stay away, far away, from VU ! you could ask me how I know, but you already know.
if I didn't get hooked on these fancy pants mods, I would be saving money. and I didn't smoke a lot, about $100 a month, $75 a carton.
I avoid the spend your money threads and the only vape reviewer I watch is Todd.
I like him and no way I can afford the unobtanium mods he shows off so no foul :)

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Man that's still outrageous. They about 5 bucks a pack for camels here. That's with tax. My wife smoke pall mall menthol and it's 38 a carton.
Like 12$ plus A pack in chicago

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you are spending less on vaping than the price of a month's worth of cigarettes it's a total win.

That's how I thought of it when I started vaping.
Now that the price of cigarettes has doubled and I have plenty of gear I'm sure I come out way ahead yearly.

Once I find something I like I usually stick with it for as long as possible which is much easier now that there aren't as many new innovations as back in the day.
From 2012 to 2016 the devices kept getting better and more powerful so i'd be constantly upgrading my gear.

Now these stupid pod devices came along which to me are more convenient in public so now I have to buy expensive eliquid again all of a sudden.
The only good thing about it is that nic salt at high nic levels lasts a lot longer.

It's still a scam though because nic salt base is no more expensive or harder to find then regular nic but somehow no one can come up with a budget nic salt eliquid and a bottle size over 30ml's.

Once I get where i'm going I'll use my regular box mod / RTA setups.
When I used them all the time whenever I was outside of a store or something I'd look up after a few vapes and people would be eyeballing me.
If I use the pod device most people don't even notice.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I avoid the spend your money threads and the only vape reviewer I watch is Todd.
I like him and no way I can afford the unobtanium mods he shows off so no foul :)

lol, almost every thread is "spend your money".

Todd, never seen that guy before.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I used them all the time whenever I was outside of a store or something I'd look up after a few vapes and people would be eyeballing me.
If I use the pod device most people don't even notice.
I am old and do not give a rats ass what others think about my vaping :)

My out an about vape is a Wasp Squeeze combo in a belt holder thing.
Looks no more dorky that a smart phone hanging on ones belt.

VU Sponsors