Become a Patron!

ScotchBrite for switch cleaning?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just wondering if ScotchBrite would work for cleaning the inside of my copper/brass switches..I was wondering what you guys might think..thx

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's fine to remove corrosion or to apply a brush finish... then rinse with IPA. For simple light tarnish, a pencil or pen eraser works nicely.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't use a scotch brite pad on soft metal as you would remove metal. As mentioned, a pencil eraser and rubbing alcohol is what electronics techs use for cleaning connections.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I give my contacts a fast vinegar dip once a week ass well.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't use a scotch brite pad on soft metal as you would remove metal. As mentioned, a pencil eraser and rubbing alcohol is what electronics techs use for cleaning connections.

I agree with this, I use a jewelry polishing cloth that I stole from my wife and if I have let it go too long I will use some mothers metal polish and then the cloth.

I suppose it wouldn't make as much difference with some spring buttons but most magnet button designs rely on the OD of the button contacting the ID of the button housing so you don't want to take material off those areas with an aggressive scotchbrite pad.
That's when you have to start pressing the button to the side to get contact and you have less area contacting making it a warm button.

Threaded stuff, vinegar. Haven't found an effective way to polish tarnish out of threads. Toothbrush with polish kind of works.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Try a small brush with brass bristles to cleand out the threads.

Works wonders!

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont use the ass well to clean contacts, too stinky...
lol, must of been checking out my ladies ass when I wrote this, she got one hell of a booty and always steals my attention.....hehehehe.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree with this, I use a jewelry polishing cloth that I stole from my wife and if I have let it go too long I will use some mothers metal polish and then the cloth.

I suppose it wouldn't make as much difference with some spring buttons but most magnet button designs rely on the OD of the button contacting the ID of the button housing so you don't want to take material off those areas with an aggressive scotchbrite pad.
That's when you have to start pressing the button to the side to get contact and you have less area contacting making it a warm button.

Threaded stuff, vinegar. Haven't found an effective way to polish tarnish out of threads. Toothbrush with polish kind of works.
Use a dab of Barkeepers Friend, scrub the threads with a slightly wet toothbrush, then rise with water and dry.

VU Sponsors