Become a Patron!

Secret to Strawberry Milk (Unicorn Blood)

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks like Contagion felt as if he had a target on his back. You never know. maybe he has older TFA concentrates before the strength was increased or maybe his repackager is still cutting the concentrates he is getting wholesale. I know how he feels - from experience right here. I hope he comes back. I did and it is worth it.

Eric

Bill TattooVape.com

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Here's my version of Unicorn Blood:
All TFA flavors

10% Ripe Strawberry
5% Cheesecake w/ Graham
3% Sweet Cream
3% Bavarian Cream
2% Vanilla Custard
Sweetener 5 drops / 10ml

Sounds yummy. I am waiting on my new order from Capella with the sweet cream and vanilla custard! Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing!

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I made it yesterday, after all, it was only TFA flavoring and I don't care to waste that like FA. But, like I posted a couple of comments ago, use the ripe, not regular strawberry. The flavor just isn't there. If it isn't there using the ripe, then the problem is what we all previously stated - there's simply too much of it. Cut in half, this might be a decent brew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This recipe is insanely overflavored. That's all there is too it. SB Ripe is more potent than OG SB, too, so it's even more subject to overflavoring than regular SB at 20%.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not so much with TFA....after a couple weeks it isn't half bad, though still more than I'd normally use. Tastes about the same as overly priced pretentious vendor juice. Cheap.....just high on the dollar.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I came across some of my first DIY recipes with insane amounts of flavoring used, mostly with TFA. I have since learned to cut down. I thought the first post was a bit of DIY humor. Silly me.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know this call for (TFA) Strawberry but if I went with (CAP) Sweet Strawberry? Would that be any good?

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know this call for (TFA) Strawberry but if I went with (CAP) Sweet Strawberry? Would that be any good?

ab: I think using the CAP Sweet Strawberry will make an even more flavorful juice. If I did anything different, it would be to do the sweetener to 3 % . Another option is to use Loranna Strawberry. It is a super good strawberry

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here is a Unicorn recipe you can have some fun with. Give it a try.

Energy Drink (TFA) 15%
Hawaiian Tropical Punch (MTB?) 15%
Strawberry (ripe) (TFA) 10%
Grape (TFA) 2%
Sweetener 5%
MTS 2 drops/6ml

Don't balk at the profile. When this was made, the concentrates were weak. The important thing is the ratios. Try it as written and if it is to sweet for you, cut back on the %s.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't balk at the profile. When this was made, the concentrates were weak. The important thing is the ratios. Try it as written and if it is to sweet for you, cut back on the %s.

Is this why many old recipes seem WAYYYYYYY to high? I always thought it was because the mixers were using shitty ce4 clearos or the like.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is this why many old recipes seem WAYYYYYYY to high? I always thought it was because the mixers were using shitty ce4 clearos or the like.

Pauly: You have to understand, this industry is in the formative stage, and only about a year or so ago the profile was 20% and most of the concentrates said start with 15% and adjust to your taste. Today TFA optum is about 8% and Wizard Labs takes it a step further and says start there repackaged TFA at 5%. In fact they say start all of the concentrates from them, start at 5%. LorAnna's optium on some of their concentrates is less than 5%. It is rare that as a top note it will actually be less than 5%. As bottom or enhancing flavor, yes you can go less than that. Some as low as 0.5%. But, those are not top notes. I have been mixing close to, if not more than, three years and mix for a local vape shop. Out of the 1900+ flavors the shop custom mixes, about 150 are flavors I developed. Some of those are very popular and they all have multiple flavor concentrates and ,by nature, run over 20%.

There you have a brief history and I hope you enjoy it and find it useful in your DIY experience. Eric

jakeofnsm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll say, I made this recipe exactly as the OP stated and FRESH (with a couple hot water baths and aggressive shakings) it is probably the worst thing I have ever vaped. I am going to let it sit for a couple weeks and hope for a miracle. The sweet cream is all I taste right now and it tastes like rotten milk.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll say, I made this recipe exactly as the OP stated and FRESH (with a couple hot water baths and aggressive shakings) it is probably the worst thing I have ever vaped. I am going to let it sit for a couple weeks and hope for a miracle. The sweet cream is all I taste right now and it tastes like rotten milk.

Jake: I don't know what you mixed, but it was NOT Unicorn Blood. Unicorn Blood DOES NOT have sweet cream in the mix. Sweetener is a sugar like Cotton Candy (and NOT County Fair Cotton Candy), EM (Ethyl Maltol), and Stevia. The last two are purchased ready made or you mix them from dry ingredients. It is NOT Sweet Cream. Don't waste your time waiting for a long term steep to bring it in. It ain't gona happen.

Strawberry Milk is just:

Dairy Milk (TFA) 8%
Sweet Cream (TFA) 1%
Cotton Candy (NOT county or State Fair Cotton Candy) (TVM) 5%
French vanilla (TVM) 1%

TFA = The Flavor Apprentice TVM = The Vape Mall

If you do not have concentrates by these 2 companies you can use what you have and adjust the recipe. Or, the TFA concentrates are available from Wizard Labs (8ml for $1.49) and the The TVM concentrates are only available through their wed site. All of the "TVM" concentrates are American made.

I think you will find this recipe for Strawberry Milk, much more palatable. Have fun and keep on mixing.
Eric

jakeofnsm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Strawberry Milk is just:

Dairy Milk (TFA) 8%
Sweet Cream (TFA) 1%
French vanilla (TVM) 1%

If you do not have concentrates by these 2 companies you can use what you have and adjust the recipe. Or, the TFA concentrates are available from Wizard Labs (8ml for $1.49) and the The TVM concentrates are only available through their wed site. All of the "TVM" concentrates are American made.

I think you will find this recipe for Strawberry Milk, much more palatable. Have fun and keep on mixing.
Eric
Thanks for the recipe! I do not have many of the flavors but maybe I'll check it out with my next order!

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just followed the original post.

Jake: I went back and found a Unicorn Milk that was made with Cheesecake. If that is the one you are talking about, I agree and still toss it in the bin. I through you were talking about my recipe with the grape in it. Still the Strawberry Milk recipe I gave you in the last post is a good one.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Jake: As I wrote in my book, steeping Is the opportunity for the chemical molecules to meld or in the simplest explanation, it allows the hydrogen molecules to bond. Dr Perl Dickerson sums it up nicely in the opening statements during an interview on steeping. Here are the opening paragraphs of that interview.

Dr. Pearl Dickerson is the Chief Scientific Officer and co-founder of Valligo e-Liquid. She holds a Ph.D. in chemistry from Princeton University where she conducted research in understanding intermolecular forces and nanotechnology. Through her work at Valligo, she has investigated a wide variety of steeping methods to determine the most efficient process for Valligo’s e-liquid line.

I asked Dr. Dickerson to share her thoughts and discoveries. What follows is her unedited contribution in its entirety:

The term steeping is widely used in the e-cig industry to describe the melding of flavors in e-liquid. In reality, the interactions that are actually occurring are scientifically complex, but can be explained with solutions chemistry. Whenever a solution is made that contains materials that are dissimilar, mixing the solution together is a real challenge due to intermolecular forces between the molecules.

Common e-liquid components interact with each other through a variety of intermolecular forces. There are two predominant forces involved in e-liquids: hydrogen bonding and van der Waals’ interactions. Hydrogen bonding is an electrostatic attraction which occurs in certain molecules that contain a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom, like oxygen.

Hydrogen bonding can create a relatively strong network of interactions which can be difficult to disrupt. Van der Waals’ interactions are an alignment of the dipoles (partial negative and positive charges) of neighboring molecules. These forces occur in all molecules and play important roles in solubility.

Hydrogen bonding between PG molecules

A model of van der Waals’ interactions sample molecules

In order to create a fully mixed e-liquid, one needs to supply enough energy to the system to overcome these intermolecular forces, thus allowing each component to interact with each other. Unfortunately, some traditional mixing techniques used in chemistry can provide too much energy. This may cause some components to break down and lead to adverse effects on the e-liquid flavor.

Since the metric used to determine if an e-liquid is mixed correctly is the taste perceived by the end user, there isn’t one right answer. There are many steeping methods that are commonly used by the community. Many techniques can aid in flavor melding, like allowing the e-liquid to age for days/weeks, vigorous shaking, or warming the e-liquid. While these methods can all be helpful, the effectiveness of each one varies due to the specific composition of the e-liquid.

Those which have a lot of alcohol-based flavors often benefit from allowing these volatile molecules to evaporate. There are so many chemical interactions that are happening inside of a bottle of e-liquid that it’s nearly impossible to predict which steeping method is the best. One must experiment with all possible steeping methods to determine which is most effective for each particular e-liquid flavor.

Dr. Dickerson has authored another great read on steeping on the Valligo site, so be sure to check that out. A big thank you to Dr. Dickerson for taking the time to contribute to this article.

Another experiment results were offered by and experimenter on another forum recently. These are also consistent my discussion of steeping in my book. Here is that finding:

After analyzing 4 samples from a single batch of my diy; one steeped for 2 hours at 93c, another at 60c for 8 hours , and 2 steeped in a cabinet ( one capped and one open).

My final results are in. Open or closed cap makes no difference and 8 hours on a coffee cup warmer is the same as 2 weeks in a cabinet. Water absorption was negligible.

I have added another level to the equation that shortens the current phase of DIY melding or steeping if you will. Stirring. I have built a stirrer that can agitate a new mix for hours on end and with the addition of a small wattage light bulb, keeps it heated for as long as it is allowed to stir. I mix in beakers that range in size from 5ml to 100ml and this little stirrer works well.

All I have available at the moment are pictures of the duel stirrer in the build stage. I need to find the pictures of it stirring a beaker of juice. I have over 10K pictures and the catalogue system leaves a lot to be desired.

upload_2015-9-27_18-12-10.png

By the way, I am still waiting on the second speed control. They sent me the wrong thing in the original order. That took over three weeks in transit. So, why would the second time be any different. Happy miXing and vape on.
Eric

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm just sitting here, giggling at all the steeping advice I've seen given everywhere. Some good. some excellent. But not all are "smarter".

Most of us make small samples to check a recipe out. Why is it, none of you have thought of using a thermos?

You simply fill it with hot water, toss your sample bottle in. Place the lid on it, let it sit.

Just sayin'

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use a thermos. HIC uses a thermos.

Cool! But I'm still laughing at all these videos I'm seeing of guys filling bowls every 15 minutes with hot water. Or breaking out the family crock pot. :p

Not that the crock pot is a bad idea. It's just too much work for us lazy people. ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing will help the OP's recipe. I mixed it for shitz and giggles and of course it was nasty (those percentages are a joke) and just happened across it cleaning my desk a couple months ago. It was a brighter yellow than a urine sample, didn't even bother taking off the lid, tossed bottle and all.....lol!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing will help the OP's recipe. I mixed it for shitz and giggles and of course it was nasty (those percentages are a joke) and just happened across it cleaning my desk a couple months ago. It was a brighter yellow than a urine sample, didn't even bother taking off the lid, tossed bottle and all.....lol!

Hey, hey! Don't be knocking the urine samples in recycled glycerin bottles :p Some are actually quiet tasty.

image.jpg

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lol! That ain't yellow! What this turned into looked like neon! Ha!

It's actually a light gold color in good light. Blue Berry Extra golden, to be more specific. But agreed neon colors should be avoided.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Jake: Maybe all us dummies realize that the bottles we use are plastic and will leak, both ways, as the steam from the hot water inside a sealed container will force water into the ejuice bottle and as the water in the bottle cools the pressure will be greater in the ejuice bottle and liquid will be forced out into the water in the vacuum bottle. Have a good day.
Eric

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have found my calling in life, thanks to this forum. Invent a plastic bottle that actually seals when the lid is properly placed on it. :)

Or teach people to leave a little space, squeeze the air out. Thus leaving room for expansion when resealed prior to applying heat.

There will be no contraction. As said bottle will be removed while still warm. :D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hardly ever heat steep, but if I do, I use glass. My tried and true steeping involves my desk drawer and my terrible memory. ;)
Ditto. When I do use heat, thermos method, it's generally one bottle in glass. Water is hot tap water. Most samples I make are in plastic and sit about a day. If I don't like it then, I try it again in a couple weeks. Plenty of good shake and vapes in this forum for the meantime.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use a small 15ml bottle with about 10ml mixed for samples, for heat steeping. Otherwise, 6 & 12 ounce bottles sitting in a cabinet until I'm ready to use them.

And since I do use distilled water (5%) to dilute. Getting a bit more in, isn't going to noticeably change the flavor enough to want to tweak a recipe.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fact the OP hasnt even named the right ejuice he has apparently got spot on is concerning enough, let alone the fact these percentages look ridiculously high. Anybody wanting to make the recipe, I would personally ignore this one, and try this link http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/255064/INTERNAL+LEAK+OF+CUTWOOK+UNICORN+MILK

I tried this a couple of days after it came out. After a 10 days steep I will say it's close but missing a little creaminess or something.

I tried this OB clone: http://www.kritikalmass.net/proddetail.asp?prod=Suicide-Bunny-Original-Bunny-Clone It's pretty good, maybe a little too much of the cake but very tasty. I can see dropping down some of the percentages on this and maybe adding some strawberry and maybe 0.25% dragonfruit or kiwi to make the strawberry pop and I am betting it will be delicious, might mix up a batch tomorrow.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jake: I don't know what you mixed, but it was NOT Unicorn Blood. Unicorn Blood DOES NOT have sweet cream in the mix. Sweetener is a sugar like Cotton Candy (and NOT County Fair Cotton Candy), EM (Ethyl Maltol), and Stevia. The last two are purchased ready made or you mix them from dry ingredients. It is NOT Sweet Cream. Don't waste your time waiting for a long term steep to bring it in. It ain't gona happen.

Strawberry Milk is just:

Dairy Milk (TFA) 8%
Sweet Cream (TFA) 1%
French vanilla (TVM) 1%

Eric

How would this be with Malted Milk TFA instead of dairy milk? No TVM Cotton Candy or French Vanilla either, only the TFA versions.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think unicorn milk is 30/70 pgvg...
This is the one i use, the cuttwoodspy one...
c50c730e57b8a08fe623662d823f942a.jpg

I make it max vg... tastes good to me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I don't mean to beat a dead horse to death, and this is ALL MY FAULT for not reading through the entire thread, but the OP recipe is HORRIBLE! I don't know where he/she got their taste buds from but after a shake and vape AND a 3 weeks steep, there's absolutely NO taste! The smell is great through. Now I need to figure a way to add more flavors to make it vapeable. I f'd up and made 450ml right off the bat. Smh.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just recently started making juices and I had forgotten all about this flavor. I've been out of it for too long.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
strawberry is prob the most user specific flavoring there is... with blueberry a close second i would think.. from there it's a toss up on flavoring and the individual, as to what and how they all taste.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Now I need to figure a way to add more flavors to make it vapeable.

Bummer, that's just another reason why I only make 15ml at a time, as I had to dump 240ml of a premix bought from MBV I just couldn't fix by dilution or anything else.

Not sure if it's possible by adding more flavors as it's over flavored to begin with which is most likely why it's muted IMO.
I'd try pouring some into a smaller bottle and diluting by 50% firstly.
Then try adding different things like TFA Sour, Lemon, Raspberry, or maybe some INW Shisha Strawberry to try to wake it up.
Or a small amount of sweetener may help too.

Of course the OP error posting TFA Strawberry rather than Strawberry Ripe didn't help.
I dumped my TFA Strawberry some time ago as it had a chemical taste, the Ripe is way better tho

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't mean to beat a dead horse to death, and this is ALL MY FAULT for not reading through the entire thread, but the OP recipe is HORRIBLE! I don't know where he/she got their taste buds from but after a shake and vape AND a 3 weeks steep, there's absolutely NO taste! The smell is great through. Now I need to figure a way to add more flavors to make it vapeable. I f'd up and made 450ml right off the bat. Smh.....

Why not take part of that 450ml, say 15-30ml, and cut it in half with an unflavored base mix... MAYBE you'll get more flavor out of it that way. I wouldn't add more flavoring at all to it, not even a different flavor. IMO you can't taste anything because of how much flavor is used in this one. Cutting it in half, or even more than half might save it, and your frustration, LOL.

Just food for thought.

Why not take part of that 450ml, say 15-30ml, and cut it in half with an unflavored base mix... MAYBE you'll get more flavor out of it that way. I wouldn't add more flavoring at all to it, not even a different flavor. IMO you can't taste anything because of how much flavor is used in this one. Cutting it in half, or even more than half might save it, and your frustration, LOL.

Just food for thought.
Tried.... Broke it down about 50 times and got maybe 2 "vapeable" 15 mls. Wasted about another 20-25 mls of flavor. Smh... Won't be doing THAT again...

VU Sponsors