Become a Patron!

Selling a homemade unregulated box mod.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I finally figured out how to make box mods using the following: box, 510, switch, sled, mosfet, 15 k resistor, fuses (optional). I was wondering if there is anything illegal about selling them to friends or a shop without a license or patent. I live in Minnesota, USA if that helps any.

I was also wondering if I need to include an informative paper on the ohm range and whatnot. I want to start selling these, but I don't want to be hit with legal problems.

Thanks for the help. :)

Vape On!

When life gets you down, blame gravity.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Legal aspects?
As long as you have your business requirements, such as a licenses and reporting taxes, you're ok.

Being liable if some dumbass does something stupid, probably. I'd want a lawyer on retainer and liability insurance.

May sound extreme or silly, but this is what business is about. If you want beer money (play money or whatever you want to call it), get a part time job.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't see a single reason why you shouldn't be able to sell your creations to anyone that wishes to purchase them.

But I do think you should include some printed information on the resistance range and such to cover your own ass if nothing more.

And if you start making and selling a lot of them, you may wish to think about sales tax issues.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Legal aspects?
As long as you have your business requirements, such as a licenses and reporting taxes, you're ok.

Being liable if some dumbass does something stupid, probably. I'd want a lawyer on retainer and liability insurance.

May sound extreme or silly, but this is what business is about. If you want beer money (play money or whatever you want to call it), get a part time job.
What type of license is suggested?

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't see a single reason why you shouldn't be able to sell your creations to anyone that wishes to purchase them.

But I do think you should include some printed information on the resistance range and such to cover your own ass if nothing more.

And if you start making and selling a lot of them, you may wish to think about sales tax issues.
What issues are you talking about with sales tax?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sell them. Do include a brochure with info on the mod and a BIG old disclaimer, that you are not liable for the dumbasses

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sell them. Do include a brochure with info on the mod and a BIG old disclaimer, that you are not liable for the dumbasses
remember this is the good ole' USA where you can sue for million when YOU drop YOUR hot coffee from Mickey D's in your lap...and win...

be wary of local and federal laws...this is why they are trying to regulate our industry (aside from big tobacco) because everyone and their brother is making and selling potential hand held bombs using sub par ebay parts. ive owned two businesses (fleet services, and marine repairs) and i always carried insurance, bonding, business permits, etc. you never know when uncle sam will come knocking...or his lawyer.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
remember this is the good ole' USA where you can sue for million when YOU drop YOUR hot coffee from Mickey D's in your lap...and win...

be wary of local and federal laws...this is why they are trying to regulate our industry (aside from big tobacco) because everyone and their brother is making and selling potential hand held bombs using sub par ebay parts. ive owned two businesses (fleet services, and marine repairs) and i always carried insurance, bonding, business permits, etc. you never know when uncle sam will come knocking...or his lawyer.
Good point. List your address in China! Lol

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How much?
Depending on what you are comfortable with in the box, and if it is plastic or metal, prices will vary between $50-$60 unless extra pieces are sought-after. S&H not included. Prices will drop with multiple orders.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sales tax example.

Let's say you stocked up on parts and spent a lot of your spare time building them and you end up with 20 mods to sell. So you go to a flea market and set up shop.

So far, so good.

Then some ambitious asshole from the County sees you at your table with a big old pile of mods notices you are not charging sales tax (with the proper documents of course) and hits you with a fine.

Or you sell a mod to some idiot that just has to push his luck and the batteries do a melt down and he loses his family jewels and takes you to court.

Getting an LLC for your business (around $100) will give you some protection against lawsuits.

And filing with your local clerk of courts to collect sales tax will protect you from the tax police.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sales tax example.

Let's say you stocked up on parts and spent a lot of your spare time building them and you end up with 20 mods to sell. So you go to a flea market and set up shop.

So far, so good.

Then some ambitious asshole from the County sees you at your table with a big old pile of mods notices you are not charging sales tax (with the proper documents of course) and hits you with a fine.

Or you sell a mod to some idiot that just has to push his luck and the batteries do a melt down and he loses his family jewels and takes you to court.

Getting an LLC for your business (around $100) will give you some protection against lawsuits.

And filing with your local clerk of courts to collect sales tax will protect you from the tax police.
So I am now understanding the LLC, but still am unsure about the filing process. If I were to want to sell at $60 I would have to sell for ~$65 to compensate for taxes? Then take the ~$5 and give it to the state/county?

barbaraann72

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I second getting an LLC - better to have and not need. Collecting taxes might be done by the shop, if you work on a consignment agreement. If you sell online, as of now you collect taxes if someone from your state purchases.

If you sell to someone in person, you can use a square card reader (PayPal also has one). When you set up your account, you set the taxes up then.

As for filing, I do all my filing online. Most states collect that way. You will also claim earnings on your federal income taxes.

It sounds harder than it is.

Sent from my SM-T217T using Tapatalk

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Everyone has seemed to cover the basics. I'd suggest to the OP, just to wholesale them to the shop. To be truthful, unless you make mods with something neat, that no one else is doing, they will quickly lose favor with buyers. Don't have a ton of inventory.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lets See them big dog!!!!
dfd1068bf9ee5898410162ce4da89049.jpg

f3746c179b99eeced8a093d6f41af5ad.jpg

2137f4dbc1899b1b95358db755b299b8.jpg

This is my first one I made. Learning process. I didn't want it finished because I wanted it to be able to be looked at for reference. I only have one problem with it; (Been vaping off of it for a solid week) the 510 post on the inside is coming down. I may need to go with a different connection, like a spring loaded.

Anyone else have the problem of the positive post heading down into the mod? If so, how did you cease that?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@mrkneeah My Sigelei V2 box does that. I'm sure it's a problem with all adjustable 510's.

I'd just use the spring loaded 510's. That's kinda what we all want anyway.

Well if the coffee is heated to around 180-190 degrees(coffee at home is normally around 130-140 which is hotter than it was supposed to be and hot enough to cause 3rd degree burn then i see legitimacy in the lawsuit lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A lot of good information has already been provided but one thing I did not see mentioned was the FDA Deeming Regulations and what you are selling is now considered a Tobacco Product and it should include some of those wonderful warning labels like I see on all my vape gear nowadays. You know this product contains nicotine which is highly addictive and all that other crap the manufacturers are forcing to include. Good Luck

VU Sponsors