Become a Patron!

Semi - New looking to step into "todays" vaping... help me out?

So years ago when 510's were hot and pyramid tea bags were in I got a kit and started playing around... unfortunately I was drawn back into cancer sticks due to limitations at that time but would like to jump back into vaping...

I've been reading around and as I'm trying to kick my cig habit on crappy gas station e cig I'd like to get the order in ASAP and could use your help to make sure I'm on the right path for parts and getting a setup I won't be disappointed in.

Below is what I'm looking to order... I wouldn't mind suggestions on switching any parts or on where to buy from.

Smok magneto
www.rockbottomvapes.com/product-p/magneto_st.htm

Aspire Nautilus. (Or possibly mini?)
www.rockbottomvapes.com/Aspire-Nautilus-Kit-p/nautilus.htm

Nitecore charger. (Not sure if this one or the d2?)
www.amazon.com/i2-2014-Intellicharge-EdisonBright-converters/dp/B00KBEJ6SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421398135&sr=8-1&keywords=nitecore

18650 battery X2. (Are all created equal? Better ones I should be looking at? The Smok says it's flat top kickable... I assume that means I buy flat tops or does it just work with flats and I'm better off with standard battery style?)
www.rockbottomvapes.com/product-p/aw650.htm

Ohm meter.
www.amazon.com/510-Resistance-Reader-Meter-Adapter/dp/B00MBNCOMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421399764&sr=8-1&keywords=510+ohm+meter

28 AWG A1 wire

Cotton...
No clue here... what size is easiest for you all? I see some of the sips come in size m, l, etc...

Think that about covers it... I'll be sourcing juice locally for now, but would love any input on changes I should make or missing items. (Already have torch, small needle nose and wire clippers, drill bits, etc... may buy a couple extra coils to start off as well so I can perfect my coil making)

Thanks in advance.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how hard the Nautilus are to rebuild but probably harder than all the large RDAa. They are tiny. I'd either read more about that first or buy a 5 pack of coils and ditch all the building stuff if quitting is your primary goal.
Battery mods go hand in hand with all of that in my eyes so I personally would get any other regulated mod so you can start vaping right away. I'm not handy or mechanically inclined and am rightfully scared of electricity so learning what I can before taking that dive. But I'm over a month smoke free so I'll focus on that before stressing myself out on tiny pieces.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kicks are safety devices to regulate your mods somehow. Little circuit boards.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You are probably better off getting an istick or mvp20watt to start out with before you get into mechanicals.. but thats just my suggestion..

get yourself a Lemo RBA which is a really easy atty to start building coils on

with the istick/mvp's you don't need to worry about buying batteries either..and they can hold a change for a couple days depending on how much you vape

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree with VapedCrusader. Get a variable device with at least 20w of power. 50w would be better as I'm not aware of any tanks that can handle more than that. Jumping straight in to mechs isn't usually the best way to go about it for several reasons.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why do you need the cotton, wire, and ohm meter if you're getting a nautilus? Just buy some extra heads, they last a long time.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kicks are safety devices to regulate your mods somehow. Little circuit boards.
Kicks are a drop in module that allows you to add variable voltage capabilities to a straight mechanical mod. Voltage is adjusted via a small screw. Check your dimensions though. The inner dimension of your mod has to be big enough to accommodate the kick but tight enough to keep it from shifting.
Probably not your best option at first.
Others have put forth some good advice in my opinion- start with a mod that already has variable voltage/wattage capabilities and pair it with a tank that has replaceable heads. There is a steep learning curve to rebuilding (and mechanical mods) that takes time and research and practice. Jumping straight into it can be dangerous.
To safely rebuild on a mech, you need a solid understanding of battery chemistry and limits, amperage, ohms law, coil specs, wicking, wire properties and all of the tools/equipment to build and test it BEFORE firing it on a mechanical mod.
Battery venting is not a pretty sight.
So many people build and build and build without a solid experience base and they get by with it- for the most part. It only takes one critical error to seriously hurt yourself.
Read a lot of articles. Watch a lot of videos (not the idiots running ridiculously sub-ohm coils trying to get monster clouds. Facial reconstructive surgery is in their future) and then start small with an easy dripper to practice on. Keep your builds above the 1.5 to 1.8 ohm range until you get good, them move on to tanks.
A set-up that's ready to vape out of the box is where I would start. Get a 20-30 watt mod with an internal battery, a replaceable coil pyrex tank, some juice and an extra pack of coil heads.
Reliable. Safe. Easy to master.
That will be a good start to quitting while giving you the time to learn how to rebuild safely.
Good luck and sorry for the long winded post- I just don't want to see anyone rush into things and, not only hurt themselves, but hurt the vaping community in general cuz word gets around. The media loves kicking us enough as it is.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Please don't get me wrong- not all sub-ohm cloud chasers are idiots. I know, and respect, some seriously low sub-ohmers but they have done their homework and learned both the science and art behind massive vapor clouds.
I'm am experienced builder and some of the things they do are WAY beyond me. The important thing is that I know it's beyond my capability.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just throwing this out there - I wish I had saved all the money I wasted on cheap clearos and stuff when I first started out and started with something like the atlantis or subtank (mini/nano are coming soon if size is an issue). If you were unhappy with the performance of older setups and want something that you can practice rebuilding on a real deck (not some little coils like the nautilus) the subtank can't be beat.

Like everyone else said a regulated VV/VW device is probably your best bet and you can find some really nice setups for <$100. Good luck with whatever you choose!

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Be sure and remember he wants to quit smoking ASAP, which is why I thought a vv and a 5 pack was the best FIRST suggestion. 33-5 smoke free!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OP: the new Istick 50w/cloupor mini/ MVP 3.0 and an Aspire Atlantis or Kanger Subtank would be my best bet recommendation for someone at this point. Plenty of time to get into rebuildables of various sorts when you figure out what works best for you and your style of vaping. With any of those regulated box mobs and either of those tanks, you'll still have good hardware and a good experience no matter what you look at down the road.

Plus to the sub tank is it turns into Rebuildable if you want to do that and works just fine as a clearo if you don't. New smaller sizes are dropping right now for the subtank. Smallest size one does not have rebuildable capability but DOES take the same coils as the bigger two. Middle size sub tank is a 22mm device.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The tea bag days are long dead thank fucking gawd.
Even a year ago stuff has changed a whole bunch, damned good sub 75 buck set ups can be had.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The tea bag days are long dead thank fucking gawd.
Even a year ago stuff has changed a whole bunch, damned good sub 75 buck set ups can be had.
Good bye fluval foam!

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow...... That honestly just looks like it sucked ass to do

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I honestly expected a pterodactyl to fly across the screen. . . Thankfully gear is being made by vapers for vapers now. No more aquarium foam, tea bag, or even Boge LR cartomizers.

Hey just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for their input (for some odd reason I never did get email notifications past the first response even though I'm subbed to the thread)

I was in a bad nic fit when first on and rushing a bit on my order... After some more extensive research (and a pack of cancer sticks : /) the next day I dug in a bit deeper and changed my order a bit...

For now I'm getting a slightly cheaper setup with a orchid v6 and vamo v7 (40w) as a decent mid setup... My main reasons for nautalus and Smok were the pre built coils to start as well as seeing the ability to rebuild them online, but figured it even with orchid I can get up and running in a few hours.

I've also done quite a bit more research on batteries and wicking as that was my weak points (spots I was unsure on above) and for my first build have 3x samsung 25r batteries coming which will handle more than I will be throwing at it for a bit as I don't plan on sub ohm vaping with the variable watage in place and even if so vamo is only rated down to .8

Almost had went with a DNA 50 and lemo setup, but figured that or a box with one of the upcoming Smok RBA's will be my next purchase.

Complete order so far is in pics... any additional input on where I am going wrong is still much appreciated. :)

Stuck waiting on wire to show up some my order can ship and may have to find some local cotton for initial wicking... other than that I'm excited to start vaping as soon as it gets here

Attachments

• ColorSplashFX-20150120050912.jpg
    ColorSplashFX-20150120050912.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ColorSplashFX-20150120050746.jpg
    ColorSplashFX-20150120050746.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 14
Also... in desperation and hope for not buying any more cig I dug out my old Batteries, attys, and carts in a computer box in the closet yesterday.

Funnily enough I still had some tea bags and juice in a bottle (mind you this stuff is YEARS old) but decided to stuff it up and give it a go. Even with the ancient juice this think hits so much better and ttastes so much better than the damn vuse I got to try holding myself over when quitting.

#cantwaitfortherealstuff

Attachments

• rps20150120_054344.jpg
    rps20150120_054344.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 14

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks like a solid setup there man! I don't have an orchid so I can't speak to that but I still have my VamoV6 (20W, my first regulated mod) and I'm running my subtank in RBA mode on it (0.9 ohm coil) right now with no problems. The Vamos definitely do not like to be dropped though so be careful with it - mine looks all jacked up now because I've dropped it a couple of times and thrown off the threading on the extension tube. Still works though!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Vamo's are good mods.

The Orchid is great. As long as you don't lay it on its side.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 3 Vamo 5 Mods. There stellar for any ones Mod. Had them a year plus but My Evic, that expensive one died. I got over it. Almost. Screw it. 100 Watt Mod. 91.00 on EBAY. It might even weld! Sigeli makes it. There much less now.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just throwing this out there - I wish I had saved all the money I wasted on cheap clearos and stuff when I first started out and started with something like the atlantis or subtank (mini/nano are coming soon if size is an issue). If you were unhappy with the performance of older setups and want something that you can practice rebuilding on a real deck (not some little coils like the nautilus) the subtank can't be beat.

Like everyone else said a regulated VV/VW device is probably your best bet and you can find some really nice setups for <$100. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I agree. Most of us could have just bypassed the whole eGo pen routine. I blew off that noise inside of two weeks. Picked the Protank and made it a rebuildable. However, some type of regulated power is very helpful to new vapers. Only way to appreciate that it's about temperature and resistance than to have to regulate it like we do a stovetop. A Kick is a wonderful addition to a Magneto. One of my fav carries ever has been a kicked Magneto and the incredibly dependable Kanger 3Ts. Hugely under-rated this setup. Just gotta be careful not to wishbone 'em.

Good luck.

:)

IMG_0805a.jpg

VU Sponsors