Set up for a brand new vaper

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A friend of mine just expressed a genuine interest in quitting smoking and starting vaping. I know its genuine because when I told her to save up 100bucks for the start up, she didnt flinch.

I want to get her the good start that I had to learn the hard way. I figure, I I had a friend like me when I started, I could have saved a ton of money from trial and error. I started with an egot kit with ce4 clearos. They worked, but sucked at the same time. Much better than blu, much worse than protank.

First she needs a mod of some sort. Im thinking maybe a 20w Istick, but im open to opinions. Something with a digital readout, vv/vw, something with an internal battery that will be safe and reliable, and look good.

The tank is where I am kinda confused. Mini nautilus coils are expensive, mini protank is good but not great. Is there a happy medium between flavor, coil affordability and good looks.

I realize that my help could either make or break her attempt to quit smoking, so im looking for as much advice as possible.

Juice_Spiller

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think your istick or istick mini ideas is a great idea. And for a tank that doesn't break the bank and it is simple, I actually suggest the Iclear 30s. I bought one of them with my initial set up almost a year ago, and I still use it , along with some other tanks. But I think the flavor and reliability on them are good and it does not look awkward on the istick

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm using the Nautilus Mini with the iStick. I'm getting great mileage with the BVC. about once a week I have to take a needle and open up the center of the coil, but I got a month of use from the first coil and I'm on week 5 of this coil and still going strong. RBV had the 5 pack of coils on sale for $10 shipped , so coil prices are coming down.

Juice_Spiller

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah I use the Nautilus mini on my istick most of the time. Its a great tank. but for someone that may or not stick with it, she might not want to spend the money on it.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think it's a mistake, IMO, to think tank and not tanks. New vaper will want more than one juice. Some of us can vape the same flavor and the same set up all day every day.
IMO, a new vaper should have at least TWO tanks. Changing juices in a tank is a PIA. So, having the ability to just swap a tank and flavor is nice.

I think the mod is a fine suggestion, but myself, I would point for something in the 30 watt range. I wouldn't be afraid to suggest a Cloupor mini or a Sigelei mini as they have on board charging, so the user doesn't need to fiddle with buying a charger.

For the tank, it really depends on the style of smoker, and what they want. It would be great if she could try tanks before just "picking" one. I like massive airflow for lung hitting. My wife is still a mouth drawer and lung hits make her go into a coughing fit.

The device won't be a big problem to solve. The tank and a good ADV juice will be.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The new joyetech eGo One looks really interesting - for the price performance looks totally on point and it would give your friend a chance to try the difference between sub ohm and standard coils without needing to have two different devices. My wife wants one!

LoudCloud

If I was trying to buy my first mod for $100 I would consider getting the ipv mini and a lemo or atlantis. That shouldn't break your budget too much, it's safe, and if she decides she wants more power eventually she doesn't need to buy a new setup, she can just turn up the power, build better or get an rda.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
iStick + Nautilus Mini (or two) is a good starter package.

Aspire has a couple different boxed starter kits that are also very nice for around $80-$100.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
May I suggest an istick 30 watt and either the eleaf GS air BDC and/or Melo. GS Air runt about 10$ and coils also around 10$ 5/pk. Melo will run you about 20 bucks and colis around 10-13 for 5/pk. I would also suggest the new kanger Subtank Mini @ 2mm has both the new coil and rebuildable included but is no thuge like the Subtank.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMO opinion a simple Kanger EVOD kit is a good place to start as a "kit"...Someone trying to quit smoking should start out simple..ease of use..understanding and learning along the way...I used a kanger evod kit for one year b4 deciding i wanted to "move up" the scale and got myself a mvp 20w box...Not that everyone is me but a simple basic quality kit is the best place to start imo...you can get a pink or yellow evod kit for 23 dollars plus shipping from MyFavoriteSmokes.com....2 tanks..two batteries, charger and 5 coils...I still use my evod tanks a year later and they are a great tank in general for such little cost...If she makes it through the stages of getting off the cigs then it becomes an adventure into a new world of upgrading your vaping experience..Then is when i suggest more expensive hardware and devices (if that what she wants to do)that does everything but the laundry and dishes...Me personally, I can stay off the cigs with a simple kanger evod battery and tank...im venturing into other areas as a hobby more or less...some quit vaping and smoking all together using a quality starter kit like the kanger evod.

Last edited:

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, we decided on an istick 20W with a pretty paisley wrap, a five pack of kanger t3s to start trying flavors, and im throwing in my used protank with a pack of new coils. This kept her cost down to $65 for hardware (which was expensive enough for her budget). Next, its on to the vape shop to find a juice she likes.
With any luck, this set up will help her kick the smokes and stay away for good. This is a much better start than I had (2 egoT 650 batts and 2 ce4s), and I managed to quit smoking, advance my vaping gear, and stay away from cigarettes for over a year now.

VU Sponsors