Become a Patron!

Shorted/Vented Imren 18650?

Hi,I purchased a yellow imren 18650 3.7v 3400mah battery recently and a couple days ago i was trying to repair the fire button on my HellHound Mech mod. During my trouble shooting the switch was stuck in. after installing the battery, i attempted to screw on my RDA. as soon as the RDA hit the center pin on the mod i saw sparks and a bit of smoke. i immediately took out the battery to find it was extrmemly hot along with the mod. since the fire button on the mod was stuck in, there was a completed cuircut from the battery to the attomizer. Now my battery will not charge at all. i have a nitecore intellicharger and after placing the battery it will show 1 blinking bar for a couple seconds then flash to 3 bars fully charged. the battery shows .24 volts constantly according to my volt meter. are my batteries just shorted and can be revived or am i S.O.L? :( any feedback is appriciated

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not sure about the fire button issues you had or still have but ,what ohm coil or coils did you have in your rda?...Im pretty certain that Imren being 3400 mah has a pretty low amp rating...did you check the rda for a short before hand?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
P.S...i wouldnt use any battery thats gotten hot or was subject to a short of any kind..The smart thing to do would be replace it and replace your fire button..Check all your wiring for burnt wires etc....

i had a dual parallel build at about .09 ohms at the time. the firing mechanism is practically unfixable also. im just worried about saving the batteries at this point. the battery is a 25 amp also. and also how would i check for a short in my rda?

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Short answer, no, if you insist on building that low I recomend getting a dual paralell box mod, and some authentic sony vct series batteries.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There are only 30 amp batteries like the sony VTC4...those numbers you see on re wrapped batteries tend to be a pulse rating and not a continuous rating...There is no such thing as a 50 amp or a 40 amp or even a 35 amp "continuous" rated battery in 18650 nor 26650 batteries.

I highly recommend that you NEVER try using anything but a sony VTC4 at that low of an ohm build and certainly not with a single cell mod.

As suggested above ,you need a dual 18650 parallel box mod to attempt that low of a build and you certainly should consider those sony vtc4 batteries to do it with.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Woh dude, I would say dispose of that battery yesterday and stick with vtc4s or vtc5s in parallel and praise the vape gods that it didn't get any worse.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yep, batteries are done. Too dangerous to try to revive them. You can recycle them at places like staples.

Sony VTC4s are rated at 30A and handle high current the best of anything we've tested. As others have said to build that low you're going to want to put another battery in parallel.

VU Sponsors