Become a Patron!

sigelei 150w tc with ni200

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just bought a sigelei 150 watt with temp control and was wondering if I have to use ni200 wire for the temp control to work. I have no idea how the temp control works and have only used kanthal. Can someone explain to a temp control beginner how it works and the difference between kanthal and ni200? Thanks for any help!

stello

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yes you need ni wire in temp control.only use kanthal in power mode.when usin ni you use jules.the kanthal cant handle the temp contrl.iam pretty shure.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nickel changes resistance in a predictable pattern as the metal heats up and generally has a much lower resistance value than kanthal. Kanthal doesn't. Temp control uses the changing resistance of the nickel as a predictor of temperature and controls the power fed to the coil to hold to the temp you have set. The low resistance of nickel and the very fact of changing resistance that allows it's use in temp control precludes it's use in regular power mode. The mod would likely refuse to even fire it in regular power mode and if it did the results would be all over the place. The kanthal, since it's resistance doesn't vary much, can't be used effectively in temp control mode. You have to decide which mode you want to use the atty in when coiling.

Last edited:

stello

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
very nice.i answered jsr27 cause no one did yet and i didnt want him using kanthal in temp mode..great info thoe way more than i know..thanks lefty..

VU Sponsors