Become a Patron!

Simple wickless coil and dripper for ejuice DIY

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Hi
I have seen many posts here on this topic, but I am looking for more or less straight forward examples, pictures preferable, including drippers (RDA).
I have 2 old Sigelei 30 watt and 50 watt (Kangertech Mini and Plus), and now upgrading to Smoant Battlestar 200 and G Priv 220 with TFV12 (3 each) and one TFV8 (comes with G Priv). I noticed that those are juice suckers, so I decided to get into ejuice making.

For PG and VG I think liquidnicotinewholesalers price is hard to beat, but their nicotine is most likely oxidized (multiple users reported issues), they also have a good eliquid calculator, very simple one.
For liquid nicotine I think nudenicotine is a good choice, I heard very good comments about their quality.
Please correct me about suppliers if necessary (I understand that this question suppose to be posted elsewhere, but I want to keep everything together, plus it is not that important as coils).
Mixing everything would be with PC USB fan (using self adhesive Velcro on the center of the fan and bottom of mixing bottles). Thermaltake makes perfect fans for this job, 80MM and 120mm.
Scale quality is the issue as well. American Weigh Scales LB-501 is recommended everywhere, but I see a lot of complains about scale quality.... Any other suggestions (not important in this topic will repost if necessary).

I am looking for simple RDA to attach to my mods (I don't know which one is better for this purpose, please advise) plus wickless coil, just to test my recipes, not interesting in RDA for pleasure. So flavor quality is better than vapor quantity.

I seen here people talk about coils with mesh, but it was stated briefly and Internet search is too much already for me.

So summarize all the above. Main questions are:
1. Which RDA are best/good for me, examples (not looking for pricey ones). I prefer single coil setup for simplicity and cleaning purposes.
2. Wickless coils that produce more or less good flavor(I guess with mesh) examples. Links are appreciated, so I can see what is exactly I need. Do they have to be SS, what material is better for mesh, and maybe I missed something....
3. Which ones of my mods are better suited for this process.

Appreciate in advance for any suggestions.
Thanks.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Claptons were called wick less coils before being associated with the guitar player.

Beyond that I say get one with velocity style posts

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi
I have seen many posts here on this topic, but I am looking for more or less straight forward examples, pictures preferable, including drippers (RDA).
I have 2 old Sigelei 30 watt and 50 watt (Kangertech Mini and Plus), and now upgrading to Smoant Battlestar 200 and G Priv 220 with TFV12 (3 each) and one TFV8 (comes with G Priv). I noticed that those are juice suckers, so I decided to get into ejuice making.

For PG and VG I think liquidnicotinewholesalers price is hard to beat, but their nicotine is most likely oxidized (multiple users reported issues), they also have a good eliquid calculator, very simple one.
For liquid nicotine I think nudenicotine is a good choice, I heard very good comments about their quality.
Please correct me about suppliers if necessary (I understand that this question suppose to be posted elsewhere, but I want to keep everything together, plus it is not that important as coils).
Mixing everything would be with PC USB fan (using self adhesive Velcro on the center of the fan and bottom of mixing bottles). Thermaltake makes perfect fans for this job, 80MM and 120mm.
Scale quality is the issue as well. American Weigh Scales LB-501 is recommended everywhere, but I see a lot of complains about scale quality.... Any other suggestions (not important in this topic will repost if necessary).

I am looking for simple RDA to attach to my mods (I don't know which one is better for this purpose, please advise) plus wickless coil, just to test my recipes, not interesting in RDA for pleasure. So flavor quality is better than vapor quantity.

I seen here people talk about coils with mesh, but it was stated briefly and Internet search is too much already for me.

So summarize all the above. Main questions are:
1. Which RDA are best/good for me, examples (not looking for pricey ones). I prefer single coil setup for simplicity and cleaning purposes.
2. Wickless coils that produce more or less good flavor(I guess with mesh) examples. Links are appreciated, so I can see what is exactly I need. Do they have to be SS, what material is better for mesh, and maybe I missed something....
3. Which ones of my mods are better suited for this process.

Appreciate in advance for any suggestions.
Thanks.
well. mesh is rarely used in a dripper, and only by experinced mesh builders....You may want to drip direct on the more exotic coils for testing. and leave them wickless.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for reply.
I can find just a few velocity style RDAs, most used is Fishbone PLUS and a few more of the same style - deep decks, which are good for pleasure and fun, but too much waste (elquid) for DIY flavor tasting.
Any recommendations for the shallow deck RDAs?
Just found a good video for building SS wick. Is this video correct? I would probably try to find SS ready and oxidized wicks, but not so many oxidized ones around here (USA) unless I am looking in wrong places..
I guess I have to return to Fastech for supplies again, shipping time is not important. Just need to figure out mesh hole diameter, it ranges from 250 to 500.

Any further suggestions are deeply appreciated.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
well. mesh is rarely used in a dripper, and only by experinced mesh builders....You may want to drip direct on the more exotic coils for testing. and leave them wickless.

Did not see your post.
Life is getting better since I found that video, not bad at all if everything there is correct, I trashed all my lighters:( long time ago, oh well.

Just need recommendation for shallow deck RDA, so I would not waste more than 1-2 mls of juice, just for a few puffs.

Almost there.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did not see your post.
Life is getting better since I found that video, not bad at all if everything there is correct, I trashed all my lighters:( long time ago, oh well.

Just need recommendation for shallow deck RDA, so I would not waste more than 1-2 mls of juice, just for a few puffs.

Almost there.
yeah ..you need to look at some more videos different guys, this guy is not one of the better mesh builders I've seen....you have to keep in mind that if your mesh is not properly oxidized and your mesh touches the atty deck it will cause a short ...go onto youtube and look up "slug wick" that might interest you..one of the things about a mesh wick in a dripper is that you can dry burn the wick to get rid of all the juice . and then try a different juice...because the wick unlike cotton won't burn.

this is a ss mesh slug wick

sl62zb.jpg

in order to get the mesh to make that kind of bend you have to cut your mesh on a 45 degree angle and then roll it...I used to use a mesh wick in a dripper for tasting juices...I just made a wick that stuck out past the coil 2mm on each side so it didn't touch the deck, then I'd put 2-3 drops on the wick and taste it...when I was done I'd dry burn the wick let it cool down and then put 2-3 drops of the next flavor I wanted to try on it. worked pretty good.

another way to skin the cat

Steel-Mesh-Wick.jpg

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then get any dripper. .... if all its for is a few taster hits... ease of access is all that matters. Deep well is of no consequence unless you fill it up.

I suggest. The post with holes type deck for ease of build and rewick...

I taste test most times using whichever dripper happens to be in use on my squonk box. I tend to run silica wick with that mod. Taste testing does good with Silica wick. You can dry burn the wick between flavors if you want

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then get any dripper. .... if all its for is a few taster hits... ease of access is all that matters. Deep well is of no consequence unless you fill it up.

I taste test most times using whichever dripper happens to be in use on my squonk box. I tend to run silica wick with that mod. Taste testing does good with Silica wick. You can dry burn the wick between flavors if you want

yep, I used to use a little IGO-L with a mesh wick back when I was taste testing and buying juice...

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
yeah ..you need to look at some more videos different guys, this guy is not one of the better mesh builders I've seen....you have to keep in mind that if your mesh is not properly oxidized and your mesh touches the atty deck it will cause a short ...go onto youtube and look up "slug wick" that might interest you..one of the things about a mesh wick in a dripper is that you can dry burn the wick to get rid of all the juice . and then try a different juice...because the wick unlike cotton won't burn.

this is a ss mesh slug wick

sl62zb.jpg

in order to get the mesh to make that kind of bend you have to cut your mesh on a 45 degree angle and then roll it...I used to use a mesh wick in a dripper for tasting juices...I just made a wick that stuck out past the coil 2mm on each side so it didn't touch the deck, then I'd put 2-3 drops on the wick and taste it...when I was done I'd dry burn the wick let it cool down and then put 2-3 drops of the next flavor I wanted to try on it. worked pretty good.

another way to skin the cat

Steel-Mesh-Wick.jpg

Thanks for replies folks.

Your first picture is very tiny, difficult to see.
So, to prevent short I better use Fishbone PLUS deck, correct?, since it lined inside with ceramic (perfect insulator).

18y8PSo.jpg

I have a lot of already twisted 28 gauge Kanthal + SS mesh wick should do the job, am I on the right path?

If you still vaping, what are you using right now to taste new juices? Or you just settle on something and hell with this?

kisianik

Member For 4 Years

I am a TANK person, so I don't have any RDAs lying around, this is completely new for me:headbang:
Silica, it is unknown for me as well, maybe later. What about flavor, which is better silica or mesh? I might get everything wrong and silica better for my purpose?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance:vino:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a TANK person, so I don't have any RDAs lying around, this is completely new for me:headbang:
Silica, it is unknown for me as well, maybe later. What about flavor, which is better silica or mesh? I might get everything wrong and silica better for my purpose?

Please advise.

silica was probablly the first wicking material used in drippers...it was used by people briefly in rebuildable drippers ,but people soon gave it up for cotton. to be honest all these materials are so cheap it's best for you to just experiment with all of them and see which you prefer.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for replies folks.

Your first picture is very tiny, difficult to see.
So, to prevent short I better use Fishbone PLUS deck, correct?, since it lined inside with ceramic (perfect insulator).

18y8PSo.jpg

I have a lot of already twisted 28 gauge Kanthal + SS mesh wick should do the job, am I on the right path?

If you still vaping, what are you using right now to taste new juices? Or you just settle on something and hell with this?
you can use any dripper as long as your mesh wick is built right, but this atty would work really well using vertical mesh wicks....I make my own juice now, and so i never make less than 5 ml of any juice. so for testing a flavor I made I just fill my genny tank up and vape it

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Please advise.

Me too...

Even my drippers have tanks.... I don't drip in the drippers i do have.

Silica and mesh work good for tasting because both can be dry burned and cleaned without rewicking. .... I went with Silica over mesh because it's easier to build with. Sorting out a coils resistance is a chore even Without adding a metal wick

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Thanks to both of you
I will go with Fishbone for an extra protection (from short circuit) and also I seen many positive reviews favoring quality of the vapor in that RDA. Also, I can get autentic for around $15 each (for 2) including shipment from Hawaii. Fastech has the same price.

Now I have to investigate oxidizing process, as I lean towards SS mesh. If you have some particular resources for that process please point me to the right direction.

Thanks again.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Oh my God
Thanks to this forum for that find - Heartlandvapes. They are so cheap in bulk sizes, that I am reconsidering mixing eliquids.
A few days ago I calculated that I can make 15 ml bottle for about $1-1.5 with all the headache, at the same time, if I like their (Heartlandvapes) recipe, I can have 15 ml for $2.1 (250 ml bottle) or even $1.5 (500 ml bottle). This is very cheap. Underground participants have praised them a lot, not a single negative comment.

My other problem with all of this - my family wants me to quit everything and mixing juice becoming more difficult:deadhorse: than just hiding ready juices and devices.
Yes, hiding, and I am over 50, it is a gruesome picture :drunk:
Heartlandvapes prices can help to solve everything. I am not so peaky in flavors, so I will try them first, and if I like their stuff, so be it, if not, will go to mixing for sure.

I hope this is the end of my journey.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's another site: http://1000ml.me where you can order a sample pack of 10/30ml bottles for $35. If you find one (or more) that you like, you can buy a full liter ( 1000ml) for $75. I don't have personal knowledge of how good the juice is but a couple of experienced vapers on here were raving about it a couple of weeks ago in one of the regulated mods section.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
There's another site: http://1000ml.me where you can order a sample pack of 10/30ml bottles for $35. If you find one (or more) that you like, you can buy a full liter ( 1000ml) for $75. I don't have personal knowledge of how good the juice is but a couple of experienced vapers on here were raving about it a couple of weeks ago in one of the regulated mods section.

Thanks
But they have very low (for me) nicotine level of 6 mg, my usual for low wattage is 12 mg 50/50, I just tried this juice in G-priv mod with Baby Beast and it is OK up to 70 watt in prebuild coil.

VU Sponsors