Become a Patron!

Slow Burn

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:confused: What's happening? Here's the build, simple, but true: Dual coil, 26g, 4 wraps, .25 ohms on a Tugboat and a DNA30 tried at various watts. One coil really lags behind the other when firing. Both are identical, same leg length, etc. Tightened the post screws, What else could be wrong?

Last edited:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Connection is shit. Ohms should be lower with that build.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Connection is shit. Ohms should be lower with that build.
Help me out here. Which connection, where? I tightened the post screws, Haven't had a problem w/ other attys on this box. Do you think it's the Tugboat posts? And if so, what could be wrong with them? They seem stable. Is it something below deck that I can't see?

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Start with the easiest and move to the hardest :) I would first loosen the post screws, try positioning my coils a bit better and see if it fires properly. Or just lose the coils and rebuild. Make sure that the legs are same lenght and that your coils are in level, if one is lower than the other they most likely fire uneven.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Start with the easiest and move to the hardest :) I would first loosen the post screws, try positioning my coils a bit better and see if it fires properly. Or just lose the coils and rebuild. Make sure that the legs are same lenght and that your coils are in level, if one is lower than the other they most likely fire uneven.
Thanks, that's great advice

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No problem, glad i could help. Let me know what happens.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No problem, glad i could help. Let me know what happens.
Ok, The legs are already even length. I raised one coil only slightly, compressed the coil even more and really tightened the post screws. It's much better. I'd say good to go.
The reading on my screen says too hot. What's that about? It says .3 ohms but my ohms reader says .25 ohms. You know, Rommel, I'd
like to put this Tugboat on my Peggy or Stingray but the damn pin is too short to make the connection. My Magma, Stillare and igo w 5 make the connection just fine. Pisses me off because I don't know if I should run it on the box when it says too hot.

Last edited:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, well now it makes a lot more sense :D. I was amazed that you were able to build that high.

Im all about mechs and rebuildables, so i cant really help with your dna issues.

B-RAD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Most dna30 devices are limited to .4 or higher builds. Your device is overheating is what the too hot means. Rebuild above .4 and will work just fine. I'd shoot for .6 never good to ride the line and max the device. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most dna30 devices are limited to .4 or higher builds. Your device is overheating is what the too hot means. Rebuild above .4 and will work just fine. I'd shoot for .6 never good to ride the line and max the device. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, not reading my instructions again! You know, I've heard that said before but how quickly I forget. My father always said I had two speeds - slow and stop! Thanks for the help

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, well now it makes a lot more sense :D. I was amazed that you were able to build that high.

Im all about mechs and rebuildables, so i cant really help with your dna issues.
Yeah, now I have to figure out how to get this to make a connection with my mods. Shorty pin! I think I saw someone on a vid make a pin from 10g, solid copper wire for the Peg and Overdose.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I followed your advice and it's firing up perfectly at .2 ohms. I spaced out on the DNA 30. Not supposed to fire anything below .3. The good news is that I was able to fix the pin on my Peg by simply pushing it down manually. Unscrewed the top, removed the battery rattle screw and pushed a nail set through, being careful not to mess up the threads. This pushed the pin up just enough to make contact with the bottom of my atty's 510 connection. Put the battery rattle screw back in and good to go. Thanks for your help

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glad i could help :) this coil building business is almost art, good advice comes in handy once and a while. But its like riding a bike, you only have to learn once and then its all good.

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wanted to add, if your using a multimeter to read your ohms. Don't forget to touch the leads together and subtract that from your reading from the coil you built. Didn't know if maybe that was why you might of been getting different readings between your meter and your mod.

VU Sponsors