Become a Patron!

Smoant ant218 firmware hacking

Hello! I think it could be very fun to hack the firmware on these to get further customization (fonts, change the "SMOANT" text on the homescreen, etc) We might even be able to expand the feature set. Has anyone attempted this yet?

I wanted to start by getting the firmware file. I couldn't find any by googling. The only other two ways i know of would be to:

1) Figure out how to get a serial connection to the device to extract the firmware.
2) Trick the desktop software into downloading it for me.

I have no idea how to do idea #1. I have no way to determine what type of board is in here or how to figure out its communication protocols, so that leads me to solution 2.

I tried to monitor the web traffic while I click the "Update" button in the software. I figured it would at least send a request to do a check. Nope. The only web traffic that comes out of the application is one check to clientapi.smoant.com
These are the headers:
Code:
GET /api/client/check HTTP/1.1
Authorization: 8D968C614A5453317A777667353235356C7C786A34393438686D6B7931353833
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Host: clientapi.smoant.com
Connection: Keep-Alive

and the JSON response is:
Code:
{"success":true,"
version":"1520578059745",
"url":"clientapi.smoant.com/api/client/list.json"}

I'd like to see this list.json, but I can't figure out how to get it at. I don't even know if it would help. The application doesn't appear to have downloaded it anywhere, perhaps it read it directly into memory? I think wht needs to be done is an HTTP GET request to that URL with a properly formatted header and the authorization code in the initial request. I don't know how to do that, although I believe it's possible with fiddler.

I also thought I might be able to modify configuration files in the application directory, but there don't appear to be any that would be useful. There are the 3 .bin files, I looked at them with a HEX editor. They are very small and I couldn't discern what type of data they have. I searched them for "smoant" as an ANSI and Unicode string, but nothing. I tried doing a manual update and selecting one of those files, but it told me they weren't valid firmware files.

Has anyone else had any success with this or have ideas? Thanks!

VU Sponsors