Become a Patron!

Smoant Naboo 225W Kit Review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks

Following on the heels of the Charon Mini comes the Naboo. I can confirm at this early stage there’s no irritating Gungan talking when you change features, you don’t have to worry about numbing your tongue getting ready for the pod racing, in fact despite its namesake the Naboo bears absolutely no relation to the Star Wars Saga, so worry not; you won’t be needing a high Midichlorian count to use it….haters of Episode One rejoice!

What the Smoant Naboo does provide is some nifty changes over the Charon mini…this is a starter kit from Smoant and a sensible one at that.

So without further ado …Smoant kindly sent me this for the once over. As usual with any of my kit reviews I’ll go over the tank first, then the mod. I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews instead I’ll share my findings to bolster your research should you be interested in the product.

(Please note: photos appear normal size when logged in)

What’s in the box?
  • 1 x Smoant Naboo Mod
  • 1 x Naboo Subohm tank
  • 1 x Spare Straight glass
  • 1 x 0.17 (mesh coil 40-80W)
  • 1 x 0.18 (mesh coil 60-100w)
  • 1 x spare O-rings
  • 1 x USB Firmware/Charging Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
  • 1 x Warranty Card
  • 1 x Certified card
  • 1 x Battery Warning Card
Product Information: http://smoant.com/naboo-kit-225w/index.html
Available Colours: Black, Red, Stainless, and Rainbow, Pink, Green, Gradient Blue available

Part 1 - The Naboo Subohm Tank

Tank Specifications
  • Height 48.4mm (with drip tip)
  • Diameter 26mm (28.6mm at the widest point with the bubble glass)
  • Thread Length: 4.58mm
  • Airflow: Two adjustable (each 14mm x 3.5mm)
  • Filling: Top fill – 2 kidney ports (16.6mm x 4mm)
  • Capacity 2ml standard (or 4ml bubble glass)
  • Weight: 68g (with juice and coil)
  • Materials in construction: Stainless Steel (SS)304, Quartz Glass, Resin Drip Tip, Japanese Organic Cotton
  • Drip Tip: Resin (Visible Height: 8.2mm, Width at the tip : 16mm, Tapered Bore 8mm up to 11mm)
  • Positive Pin: SS304
Build Quality and Impressions

FD865D2A-9995-4AAE-AC3B-98B02A34E7B7.jpeg

The kit comes with everything to get you started including a spare glass. I expect many out there will be like me and hate the puny 2ml restriction using the straight option, especially with the monster coils this thing uses; this addition isn’t Smoant’s fault; we vapers have the Eurocrats to thank for that one!…should you happen to dislike the 4ml bubble glass though the smaller option is there for the taking, or perhaps useful as a back-up. The good news is this tank is compatible with Smoks TFV12 coil range (according to Smoant) so that makes it highly accessible when finding spares should you have trouble finding Smoant’s own coils.

4F418D5F-B551-42EA-922D-371F8865D4A2.jpeg

The Naboo’s finish is applied in the same vein as the mod (anodized plating) so there’s some nice matching going on, however I must stress the rainbow colour variant is a fingerprint magnet of epic proportions, with the grip cut outs on the airflow ring and top cap it’s not nearly as noticeable as the mod is.

Fit and finish was good for the most part, except for the chimney section threading into the top of the coil; I noticed it was a little scratchy at this point only. Otherwise the rest of the atomiser was fine. The other area I noted was in removing the bubble glass for the tanks initial cleaning, the O-ring was stuck to the glass, so I had to “gently” tease the glass away so as not to crack it in the process (you don’t get a spare bubble tank).

13A3B507-DDFC-4686-9CCD-7C3402AB4721.jpeg

The drip tip is a perfect pairing for this sub ohm tank in my opinion, ordinarily I would complain about the lack of a spare and the rather large bore size (8mm up to 11mm bore), however taking the size of the coils themselves into account, and the way the chimney sits over that coil I’ll give them a pass on this…plus I think the design is really snazzy. Just a word of caution here; you do need to be careful dropping these snake pattern drip tips as they fracture pretty easily, although the Naboo’s version has nice chunky walls so might fare a bit better. The only thing I would say about the tip is: it only has a single O-Ring holding it in place instead of two like you’ll find on the typical Smok TFVx(x) tips, I found it felt a little lose once condensation built up.

E90A2F50-3D18-4137-A520-FE8DF2815AD0.jpeg 92E3A56D-E00F-4E48-9F45-EE803C0975BD.jpeg

There is ample knurling around the top cap for grip which is good. There is relatively short threading which were buttery smooth on mine, it makes the refilling experience hassle free. Removing the cap reveals two huge 16.6mm x 4mm juice ports. I was able to pretty much dump juice from all types of bottles in here without hassle.

9B3BA2A2-AC0D-4252-ADFB-DAE83FDD72D6.jpeg 74D8AC60-776E-4089-83DD-18989A986693.jpeg

In addition if you look closely below you’ll see a section of the threads which are recessed slightly to allow air to escape when tightening, so you don’t have an over pressure situation which would otherwise lead to oversaturation and leaking. Smoant advises to close the Airflow Control (AFC) when refilling in order to avoid leaking, I did follow this advice at first, but it got old really quickly, so I’m pleased to say it made little difference not taking them up on that. It’s worth noting there is no need to gorilla tighten this cap, tighten until you feel resistance then stop.

0F16AB78-765D-4B01-AB41-81B173592902.jpeg

The chimney section screws on top of the coil directly, it offers the smallest of domes leaving it more akin to the type of chimney you’ll find on the Aspire Clieto tank line (where you’re getting a direct feed from the coil itself), but as they say “every little helps”, I didn’t find the smaller dome affected performance.

A1E7306E-510A-4907-80FB-3D9F02CA4BD8.jpeg

The Naboo Sub ohm tank is pretty big, you’ll know you have it on top of the mod both in presence and weight. Whilst the bubble glass increases the capacity to 4ml, be aware it increases the diameter significantly from the tanks base (26mm) out to nearly 29mm. Thankfully the mod is wide enough, and should you knock it over the bubble glass won’t hit the table directly (although I still advise using a band just in case).

5E52818F-8502-44F7-89C3-50DE456CB355.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Build Quality and Impressions continued…

The tank breaks down into 6 pieces, you get two massive 14mm x 3.5mm airflow slots with an adjustable Airflow Control ring. I have to say the ring is a pleasure to use and offers a lovely resistance when turning until it hits it stops. It’s not a press fit design so you cannot remove it which helps with a non-leaky base (one of my pet hates). The only thing I don’t like is the amount of airflow this tank has (even at 100W), I’m guessing they added it just in case someone grabs hold of one of the 150 Watt+ Smok coils as you might well need it at the high wattages (sadly I didn’t have any to try).

275E540E-3C84-42BD-AA3E-28AD4EE0528B.jpeg

The coil, when screwed in, will sit on top of a plate inside the base which covers the entire surface of the coils rear end, it’s best to make sure there’s no grime or liquid over either surface when putting a new coil in or it could mess with your resistance readings. The positive pin sits proud once you screw the coil in. Personally I would like to have seen this stainless steel pin gold plated to improve contact slightly.

DEE4CF4D-0CFA-4810-8E14-6D35069096FE.jpeg
9CD84C0D-9970-4F9F-872A-98B416AB7855.jpeg

I’ve experienced no actual leaking from the Naboo sub ohm tank throughout the life of both coils, although I did experience condensation seeping out from the airflow hole when I tipped the tank to one side. There’s a black gasket acting as both an insulator and seal at the end of the coils, I expect this part to be sitting flat with no wires poking out, and in this regard these weren’t the best coils I’ve seen assembled to date, so they did require some fiddling with a screwdriver to push the legs back a tiny bit. The cotton looked to be packed well once primed.

6C0C3AB9-80BB-4909-8237-6AE2139BAD14.jpeg 43829877-1DEA-4DF7-81CE-F2CEEFBBF60B.jpeg

How’s it Vape?

The Naboo kit comes with two mesh coils (0.18 & 0.17 ohm). They are rated between 40-80 and 60-100W watts (which is stated on the side of the coil itself), both contain exactly the same type of mesh, the only difference is the 0.18 has a slightly narrower strip of it. I found the stated resistance to be accurate on both (+/- 0.03 ohm Variance from stated); and the coil break in time (to get rid of that horrible cotton taste after a good priming) to be really quick at just under 2ml...Top marks to you there Smoant, the cotton you chose to go with is great and the lack of oil residue was really noticeable.

F59CF7FE-2998-43CD-B821-BA7C67B32FA7.jpeg 7A0A72C7-C2E0-4E61-A697-9647D54C2AB3.jpeg

As with other mesh coils I had to put a good 15ml of juice through the both coils before I was able to push the wattage past the declared base level, otherwise I was getting a burnt taste. I found both coils were pretty accurate with their stated ranges, although pushing it to the max on either is not really advisable as I was detecting them heading towards burnt hot territory (especially the 80W 0.18 ohm coil).

I settled on 55W for the 0.18 coil, and it lasted a week which was disappointing. The winner for me was definitely the 0.17 ohm coil, it fared much better into week three, and I settled vaping this one at 75W which suits the tank better. I didn’t have a problem with wicking on either coil using 70/30 juice.

The airflow is lose through the coil which makes adjustment necessary especially at the lower wattages in order to get the most from it, put it this way even with the AFC set at just a third open at 100W its fine to vape on! Which funnily enough is where I set mine. The draw is loud on this tank, it’s not whistling but there is an audible “woosh” with each inhale which might put some folks off.

Ordinarily I dislike mesh coils but I’m going to put my marker down here and state this is one of the better flavoured sub ohm starter tanks I’ve used to date. Not once did I have a problem with dry hits, although as I’m saying this, I need to clarify this marker is based on vaping fruity flavours, when it comes to bakery it wasn’t picking out the notes like other tanks I’ve tried, so it depends what you are after flavour wise.

I found the flavour transfer really quick, just vape it down to near empty and literally within 5 or so pulls you have the new flavour on tap. The vape is moist and vapour production plentiful.

Tank Pro’s
  • Decent vapour production
  • Great Flavour for a sub ohm
  • Fast coil break in time
  • Fast flavour transfer (when changing juices)
  • Spot on match for the mod
  • Decent spares included (shame there weren’t two bubble glass)
  • Decent capacity 4ml (with the bubble)
  • Compatible with all the Smok TFV12 beast coil size options
  • No actual Leaking (although condensation was noted when tilting)
  • Doesn’t get too hot to vape on even at 100W chain vaping
  • Drip tip is comfortable to use
  • Accurate coil wattage range and stated resistance was within tolerance (+/- 0.3 ohms)
  • [personal] much prefer the 0.17 ohm coil longevity and wattage range
  • Decent grip points
  • Refilling is a breeze
  • Nice large contact area in the base
Tank Cons
  • Huge unnecessary airflow
  • Drip tip could have done with 2 O-rings
  • Disappointing lifespan of the 0.18 coil
  • Glass was stuck to the O-ring on 1st disassembly – I stress caution removing
  • Slightly scratchy threading between chimney and both coils
  • Rubber bung insulator – would like to have seen better coil assembly
  • Noisy draw
  • Rainbow is a finger print magnet (though you do get that snazzy drip tip)
Flow Pro Tank - Final Conclusion

Short and sweet finish - I really like the Naboo sub ohm tank, is it perfect…nope, but as far as starter kits go Smoant have produced a solid tank. Put it this way I hate mesh coils and their lack of flavour fade, but I’ve really enjoyed using it (once I got used to the loud draw) and it suits the mod well, great effort Smoant

.....onto the mod

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Part 2 - The Naboo Box Mod

Manufacturer Specs
  • Ant225 chipset
  • Size: 49mm(L) X 31.5mm(W) X 91mm(H)
  • Batteries: Takes 2 x 18650
  • Display: 2.4 inch TFT color screen (300 dpi, 240 x 320pixels)
  • Output range: 1 – 225 W
  • Output modes: VW (Min, Normal, Max)/ VW Curves / Temp (Ni, Ti, SS) / TCR / TC Curves
  • Resistance range: 0.1 – 2.0 Ohm for TC mode / TCR mode / TC Curves, and 0.1-3.0 Ohm for VW / VW Curves
  • Temperature control: 100 – 300°C / 200 – 600°F
  • Voltage output – 6 - 8.4V
  • Chip Efficiency: 95%
  • Charging Rate: 1.5A
  • Center 510 connector
  • Three different UI available to choose
  • Pass-through available
  • Firmware upgradeable
  • Reverse protection/ Over-heating protection/ Low voltage protection/ Overload/Short-circuit protection/ Over-time protection
Product Information: http://smoant.com/naboo-kit-225w/index.html
Available Colours: Black, Red, Stainless, and Rainbow, Pink, Green, Gradient Blue available

Impressions, Build Quality

I’m going to be comparing to the Charon mini a fair bit throughout because I see the Naboo as its natural progression: the rainbow colour, chipset and pattern on the back of the case are the same, it almost makes me wonder why they didn’t just carry on the name?

511B7FF4-668C-4FFE-BEA5-EF8180DD96C9.jpeg 9FF5298A-D7F6-418F-8B22-7C4EACF3B3C0.jpeg

Starting with the form then…The Naboo is larger overall than the Charon Mini which I notice in the hand much more so, however the mod features curves that follow the whole way around front, back and around the edges, ergonomically unless you have small hands its damn nice to hold (one of the most comfy mods I own). Due to the positioning of the fire & lock button, I would say this mod is more suited to the right handed vapers, though even being a lefty myself, I really didn’t find it bothersome using my thumb to fire or having the screen facing inwards when using my finger. This versatility is a result of not having any up down buttons getting in the way so they get a pass on that.

C0E9C072-737F-455C-B6A8-0F3B195908FA.jpeg

It has a full zinc alloy frame, buttons and battery cover so there is a bit of bulk to it at 266g when two batteries are loaded, in fact with the Naboo sub tank on top it comes out to 334g which puts it in the “heavyweight” category. Personally I like a bit of weight to my mod so this aspect doesn’t bother me, but if you like putting a device in your pocket; it’s probably best to make sure you’re wearing a belt first!

As was the case with the Charon Mini; The screen cover is very much a finger print magnet, actually if you get the rainbow colour be prepared to have the whole case as a finger print magnet…it was a nightmare taking pictures of this mod, I felt like that person who has to wear those white “mickey mouse” gloves putting snooker balls back on the table to get the job done! Suffice to say with the paintwork being smooth it does get slippery on the surface if you get any sort of juice over it, as such expect to wipe it down often with a soft cloth.

In the month using it before this review I managed to dink the paintwork a few times. I can see a few surface scratches on the screen but nothing major, so durability wise with the rainbow version I’d say it’s susceptible to chips rather than fading. I’ve had some leaking events over this mod (especially the fire button) and it’s held up fine.

The LED lights behind the buttons could be brighter, I had trouble seeing these outside, but the display itself is bright and vibrant when turned up to max, not as bright as the Charon Mini because the screen sits further back behind the cover, but I’ve never had a problem seeing it unless I was in the brightest of sunlight or wearing sunglasses. They went with a larger screen this time at 2.4 inches…it’s certainly a biggun. To be honest I feel the UI displays it came shipped with left a little to be desired, they seem to be just magnified versions of the previous outings and don’t really offer any benefit (like adding more on screen details etc), actually to be honest I don’t really like any of the UI screens, even the trusty classic display I had to put up with huge ass writing which is a shame. Hopefully they’ll do a software update to address this at some point (http://smoant.com/datas-download.html)

EEACF4C7-6A38-4A66-828E-74EE2EA19C5A.jpeg B483EDA1-DE7D-44EC-B46F-FEE040B40642.jpeg

When it comes to navigation and user interface I personally think the Smoant mods offer one of the best experiences in the business, if not the best out there (Ant218 V2 chipset onwards). It’s just so intuitive to use, they have removed about as much waste as you can with all the modes on offer, and everything is perfectly placed and easy to find…it just works. With the new separate lock button they’ve manage to make this process one step easier now. I was a little apprehensive about it to begin with, but I think it’s the best thing they could have done and I’d say this is their best attempt at menu navigation to date which is really saying something.

This brings me onto the star of the show the touchscreen. I’ll be the first person to stand up and say I hate touchscreen on vape gear, it’s usually clunky and unresponsive, but how Smoant approached it is absolutely fantastic. The user experience is as though you don’t feel the mod is touchscreen most of the time at all, this is all down to the separation of that activation/lock button and the fire button…not only does this place less strain on that all important fire button, but everything is now just a shorter click away, not to mention the touchscreen works really well.

They even put in a little vibrate function (which you can turn on or off) which informs you when the touch screen is first engaged or not, as well as when you push up or down. Something like this I would turn off straight away normally, but it’s really helpful to know I’ve locked/unlocked the device or activated the front buttons or not. To be honest I’ve been left a little bit gushy over the experience since it’s been a real pleasure to use…There’s still part of me that can’t help but think there’s more to go wrong with touchscreen over the long term (cracking the screen and what not), and once it does fail that’s your lot, having said that without the up and down buttons there’s one less place for juice to find its way inside the mod.

As with everything there are good and bad things, and as good as the touchscreen experience is; my one bugbear is the location of the USB port. This whole paragraph won’t be such a problem for right handed vapers, but being a lefty my palm entirely covers it (when I finger fire) which means condensation or grime will get in over time, also when tanks leak they tend to go down the sides of the mod because of the edges on top….this one thing is the main con of this mod in my opinion and could have been easily resolved with the inclusion of a dust cap.

F0322BB6-219E-42A2-9E14-9761D13927EA.jpeg

The 510 plate is situated centrally and is slightly raised. It seats 27mm atomisers flush without overhang (more than the Charon Mini’s 25mm) although the plate itself is only 20mm. To avoid damage on that lovely paintwork around the top you will notice a slight gap when the atomiser is screwed down because the plate sits just slightly higher. Having a raised plate is pretty standard for Smoant products, and means you can adjust bottom airflow control rings on the atomiser easier.

5BCBA922-9064-4089-BD74-2EECB6A228E9.jpeg

The gold plated positive pin inside the plate sits at a depth of 3.86mm and will push down to about 4.86mm which covers pretty much every thread length I’ve seen so far. I’ve not had any issues with it picking up or reading my atomisers, although I did note it was reading slightly out compared to my YiHi. It’s got a decent spring to it as well (not too soft or hard just right).

695D1555-5E04-4590-88C7-4F10CB1A6F87.jpeg

The Naboo comes with a new UI option called music mode….it’s very much a gimmick but it reacts to noise….if the bars weren’t moving all the time I probably would have used it as I like the writing layout and font size….but the bars constantly move around like I’m having a rave (even in silence) I just found this UI really irritating…Perhaps Smoant could fix this in a update?...Anyway how the mod reacts to noise is via the venting underneath the mod, it picks up air vibration, so if you happen to get the mod try blowing at the base you’ll see what I mean…the screen lights up like a christmas tree. Outside of a bit of fun the venting is more for the board rather than the battery tray as the tray completely covers this area.

Battery markings are clear which is good to see and reverse polarity works (I tried all combinations). There is no ribbon to help you remove the batteries, however the terminals at the bottom are both spring loaded with plenty of play, pushing on the top of the battery allows you to remove it easily.

E619F82A-5D08-4711-B3BF-333D2A3605F0.jpeg

Both cells stick out slightly once inserted, however the battery door covers them fine and there’s a plastic cover inside the door to avoid any sort of shorting should there be a tear in the battery wrap. Whilst I’m on the door this version is a vast improvement over the Charon Mini (which I found rattled a bit when in use). With this iteration the door has a hook on each corner so there is no sideward wobble anymore, also the magnets are stronger so it always snaps back into position. I did notice some slight vertical play, but only when I tried to push it up and down; otherwise I never felt any wobble whilst vaping.

C5A68DA8-34B2-4B70-B4B8-DDD6BF5B6F02.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Impressions, Build Quality Continued

I took a look at what’s under the hood, mainly to see if they had fixed that button from the Charon Mini…it wasn’t as easy to disassemble as the Charon (which kind of came apart as soon as I took the screws out) so going through what I’m seeing:
  • The paintwork extends inside both front and rear panels which is good.
5EBF2135-4419-40A6-8235-DDF0B437D7B0.jpeg
  • The board has a water resistant coating throughout except for the connector and button points.
  • The internals are secured much better this time, in order to strip it down completely you’ll need to remove the ribbon cables for the screen buttons and screen (which I didn’t bother fiddling with). You can see that little vibration unit on the bottom right which provides the feedback to the up/down buttons as you push them (you’ll also see the LED lights for the buttons next to it.
3403BFA9-D884-45CE-844F-A6C08DBC8B35.jpeg
  • Everything is metal including the buttons. Smoant did place on a plastic cover seal over the lock button, but sadly I can’t see one under the fire button which is a shame, as it’s the first place juice runs to when an atomiser leaks.
6411508C-C6AB-45F6-976B-0D7F167E46D0.jpeg
  • They still kept that small sponge under the fire button instead of a spring which is a shame (as it will flatten over time.) As a result the button still has the same “dead spot” at the bottom of it, like the Charon Mini had, but overall the Naboo has a better tactile feedback. With the addition of the new separate lock button I’m less concerned over this approach as there is less wear and tear on a single button itself.
  • The 510 plate is secured with a nut. In addition it’s a single sealed unit rather than a floating 510.
  • The soldering on the board itself looks neat and tidy. The wires used for the positive (red) and ground (black) are nice and chunky. Finally again like the Charon there is no seal between the casing parts…Watch out for major leaks without thouroughly cleaning.
136860B3-E276-4297-843D-5575799BCA8C.jpeg

Navigation

• Click “Fire Button” 5 times = Turn mod on/off
  • Click Fire Button 3 times = To access menu
  • Click Fire Button 1 time whilst in menu option to select
  • Hold Fire button when in the menu = Exits menu
  • Click Lock button 1 time = Activate/De-active up/down button on touchscreen
  • Click Lock button 3 times = Lock Device
  • Hold Lock Button = Activate/De-activate stealth mode (screen goes dark but you can still vape)
  • Press or Hold Up/Down touchscreen buttons when active = turn up/down wattage/temp or to cycle through menu options
  • Hold Up/Down touchscreen buttons together when active = lock/unlock wattage/temp
Power Mode

The Naboo is using the exact same chipset and as a user I’m not noticing a whole lot of difference in performance compared to the Charon Mini, so it’s difficult to not rehash a lot of what I said last time;

I did notice the resistance was reading higher on the Naboo compared with my YiHi, it was reading +0.01-0.02 higher with each of the different coils I used over the month, nothing major but these small variances matter in “Temperature Control” (TC) modes.

There are 4 wattage options to choose from; Min, Nom, Max & VW Curve. I wasn’t noticing too much difference between the Ant218 V2 and this latest version, to the point when I picked it up; I was thinking Smoant’s only change was increasing the wattage cap slightly, however in power modes it does seem to feel a marginally more “gutsy” using it in max mode.

I’m still not entirely sold its new architecture rather firmware tweaks and a better 510 assembly. One thing they have sorted is the mod continues to play ball almost the entirety of the battery range which is something Smoant has always seemed to struggle with beforehand.

Overall I feel the wattage range is accurate up to at least 120W which is the limit of where I like to vape. Battery life seems to be pretty decent as well, normally Smoant cut out at around 3.4V but this is allowing me to drain slightly deeper to approximately 3.2V (like the Charon Mini).

The VW (Variable Wattage) Curve is easy to use, just set your desired wattage at 1 second intervals to create yourself a profile as you vape which is useful for longer draws outside of temperature control.

Same as the Ranker and Charon Mini - You will have to cycle through .1 increments of wattage selection outside of the curve mode up to 100watts. I feel up to 20 watts this is necessary for the MTL vapers, between 21-80 half watt increments are acceptable but beyond that it should just be whole watts as it takes more time to cycle through the settings. Many manufacturers set their devices up like this and Smoant is no exception.

Temp Control (TC)

There are three standard settings in temp control “Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel”, then you have the TCR (the manual dial it in yourself option) and Temperature Curve options as well

The Naboo I have was a little out compared with the Charon Mini using standard Stainless Steel setting, I found it was punching above what it should have been at the set temp. I like a TC vape somewhere between 430.F and 450.F and it was hot at the latter setting so turned down the temp a fair bit to around 410.F for the same sort of vape as the Charon.

Using the manual TCR setting with SS316L coils; I found setting the TCR value to 0.00110, temp at 450.F and preheat to 55W was a more accurate vape.

This TCR value is higher than I was expecting, yet different to both the Ranker (0.00094) and Charon Mini (0.00115) normally a board sits somewhere between 0.00088 – 0.00098 for SS316L …it just goes to show each mod (even the same brand) is different and why it takes time to dial it in.

Three things to note (at the time of this review with stock firmware): in the manual TCR and TC Curve modes the following can be changed on the main screen without having to access the menu:
  • The TCR can be changed at any time by pressing the Fire Button and Down (-)
  • You can lock/unlock your settings in using the (+/-) buttons together
  • You can adjust on screen pre heat wattage by pressing Fire Button and Up (+)
One of the features I love about the TCR mode is it tells you as you cycle through what sort of metal the range the TCR is for. I’ve not seen any other companies introduce this yet and for any new vaper it’s a brilliant feature.

I didn’t bother using the custom temp curve at all because I personally find it to be a little gimmicky. You can treat the Temp Curve much like a Power Curve except you are changing the temperature every second instead.

Charging and Batteries

I found there to be a more accurate discharge and charge balance between the cells using the Naboo over the Charon Mini which is an improvement. Both cells I recorded a low Voltage cut out of 3.2V (although expect a slight variance at points (+/- 0.02V)

When charging via USB the mod seems to climb evenly to 4.13V across both cells inside 2 hours and remains cool throughout, after that the mod looks like its fully charged, but even after 5 hours I’m only able to get the cells charged to 4.17V, which is not ideal. Therefore although balanced I would say external charging is the way to go with the Naboo.

Pros
  • Accurate Power mode (Max is the best to use)
  • Once dialled in, temp control was working really well for me
  • Very comfortable to hold and fire in both hands (bear in mind doesn’t suit smaller hands as well)
  • Love the independent lock button and vibrate function suits the mod well
  • Fire button offers nice feedback when clicked at the centre towards the top
  • No Battery door wobble when in use & strong magnets
  • Plenty of modes to choose from including basic curves
  • Very intuitive menu system
  • Solid construction
  • Great threading on the 510 plate
  • Plenty of throw to the firing pin (will accommodate most atomisers)
  • Helpful Manual
  • Big Screen and decent picture quality / brightness
  • Can customise the screen saver if that’s your thing
  • Can access quick settings in main screen without having to dive down
  • Touchscreen done right! ….Up/Down buttons engage nicely
  • Improved Cut-off for Smoant (3.2V) don’t notice much power loss right until low battery
  • Easy to get battery’s in and out
Cons
  • Fire Button – has a dead zone at the bottom (it’s better than the Charon Mini though)
  • Placement of the USB doesn’t suit left handed vapers
  • [personal] Dislike the huge screen writing on classic mode
  • Finger Print Magnet
  • Charging batteries via USB was even but could get them to top out
  • The casing seams and fire button don’t have any seals so watch for major leaks
  • TC Standard & TCR setting for temp control seemed a bit high
  • Gets a bit slippery when juice get on the surface
  • If you crack the screen near the bottom it will likely knacker the up and down buttons
  • Paint damage on the rainbow variant after a month
Final Conclusion

Out of the 3 Smoant mods I’ve reviewed (Ranker, Charon Mini and this one) the Naboo is hands down my favourite mod of the bunch. They have gone about fixing much of what I picked up last time with the mini, and really only a proper chipset update and better 510 contact will address the TC variations at this point.

I would still like to see that Fire button design approached differently, and perhaps a rubberised finish like they had on their earlier Battlestars (instead of the unicorns they keep sending me), otherwise I really enjoyed using this mod….I do have a nagging feeling about the longevity of touchscreen but nothing so far has given me any reason to doubt it, of course If there are any issues after this review I will report back below as always.

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you find the information useful, until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the review kingpin! I bought the Naboo about a week ago and have really enjoyed it. My only complaint is the fire button but it isn't bad. Just had to find the g-spot for it because it prefers a magic touch. :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you for the review kingpin! I bought the Naboo about a week ago and have really enjoyed it. My only complaint is the fire button but it isn't bad. Just had to find the g-spot for it because it prefers a magic touch. :D

You found the dead spot at the bottom as well? :) once you get used to where to push don’t really notice it

Using this mod as my daily driver now it’s great

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Thanks for a good read. Appreciate the time you take to do these reviews.:blowkiss:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You found the dead spot at the bottom as well? :) once you get used to where to push don’t really notice it

Using this mod as my daily driver now it’s great
Yep I found the dead spot alright. The button is a stiff one but I got used to it in no time. Otherwise the mod has performed flawlessly.

VU Sponsors