Become a Patron!

Smok Alien TC and questions about changing the ohms.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys. I've been playing with my Alien in order to find the best vape with my Vandy Vape Kylin. I have two twisted SS coils in there. I'm new to vaping so bear with me.

The coils are pre-made and were registering too low ohms. Fortunately the leads were long enough that I could wrap an extra coil which brought up the resistance to .102ohms I had read about raising the ohms manually and I raised it to .25ohms. I'm vaping around 55 watts and the volts are just under 4v with an amp reading around 15amps. Is this safe for the board? I reckon it's fine, but my roommate (a vaper and electrician) says that I'm going to fry the board.

When I try to manually adjust the ohms higher than .25ohms I either get the "don't abuse product", or "coil short" screen. Why does this happen? I can continue to raise the ohms, but cannot fire the mod.

My last question regards tc. I bought SS coils because I'd read that tc regulates your chosen temp (works great), that it saves battery (no idea) and that it is safer if/when my cup in the cup holder in my car accidentally fires the mod. That makes perfect sense. Problem is that I don't get up to temp (even 200f) for a very long time. I mean I can obviously raise the ramp wattage but then the amps go through the roof, way above the 18-20 rating of my hg2's.

I'm far from an electrician but I would love some technical data so that I can understand what's going on, and to know that I'm keeping everything safe.

I'm buying some wire to start building my own coils. I'm very mechanically inclined and didn't realize how easy it is.

Thanks peeps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

315jessie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure your leads are tight ... my alien will fire fine then say ohms too low
It drove me stupid for about an hour then a light bulb went off and told me to check the screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod displays for amperage aren't really useful, not from my experience. I'm currently running a stainless steel ss316L coil at .218 and 55w. The mod says 16.42a. However if I use the formula for regulated mods to determine amp draw on the batteries, Watts / min voltage (generally 3.2v per battery, two batteries so 6.4v / mod efficiency (generalized at 90% or .9) - I end up with 55/6.4/.9 which comes out to 9.55a. I'm using samsung 30q's rated to 20a continuous so well within safe and much safer than the readout which says 16.42a.

Mooch rated the lg hg2's at 18a continuous, you're using 55w and two batteries so 55w/6.4v/.9 equals the same 9.55a as my setup. The hg2's are fine.

Temp control on the alien is lackluster in my opinion. The theory of temp control is great and I enjoy smooth tc. The alien just doesn't do it. Mods with dna chips, fsk chips and yihi chips do really well for tc. My old istick tc100w didn't do half bad with tc, it was fairly smooth. The alien seems slow to ramp up and when it does fire it pushes the temps hotter than what I set them to like it pulses power for too long. Then it backs off which is good, it's supposed to but there's a moment of no firing going on before it decides to kick in another wave of power and overshoots the desired temp again. Just my experience with it.

Can't really say on the manual resistance settings, haven't messed with mine. This is purely a guess but part of the reason for the errors you're getting when you set resistance too high manually, the mod may be seeing your manually set .25ohms and comparing it to the results it's actually getting from your coil which if it's actually polling .1 ohms it sees a discrepancy. Not just a minor difference, but a pretty massive difference of double the resistance. If it uses your input value as the 'standard' but 'actual' is far less it may trigger an internal alert to the mod assuming there's a short and so it throws the warning message. If for instance you built a coil and didn't mess with the variable resistance settings, just built a coil and installed it and one of the leads were touching the wall of the chamber or the top cap of the rda it would drop ohms significantly and the mod would throw an error letting you know 'hey, double check because I'm getting a short or something's not right'. You may not physically have a short but could be creating conditions representative of one. Just my theory, don't take it as gospel and I have no scientific data on how the mod chips and protections are coded to work.

If you're suffering slow ramp up you may need to set your watts higher in tc mode. 3 clicks takes you to mode select, click to get to 'temp' and hold the firing button to enter tc mode, the first value asks you for strength in watts. That's the power initially put to the coil to reach the temp you set, setting a higher wattage it should reach the input temp faster. Then you select coil type, tc-ss. Then it says tc-ss with a value you can adjust in the form of 0.000xx. That's the tcr value. I don't recall what the default is set to but it's for a different type of stainless most likely. There are different types of stainless steel, much of it is ss316L which is a specific type of stainless. The TCR for ss316L is 0.00092. If it's reading differently and you're using ss316L specifically you need to change it.

Djlsbvapes has a chart here for various tcr values for various wire types.
https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/

Ramp wattage shouldn't affect your batteries too much. Using the formula from before with lg hg2's, you could go to 100w and still be fine with those batteries (comes out to 17.36a). Stainless wire has fairly low resistance in general compared to say kanthal. If you're used to building a coil at a certain gauge kanthal like 24g x amount of wraps and id etc and you get .2 ohms, don't be surprised if the same exact coil in 24g ss316L comes out significantly lower. You may find you have to use 26g or 28g stainless wire to stay at the same resistance with 24g kanthal. Not sure what gauge wire you're using, it could be if you're running thicker wire (24-26) and twisting it (which further lowers resistance) and dual coils (cuts resistance in half vs a single coil) that's where your low ohms are coming from. Try going up a gauge in the wire you're using, if using 24g try 26g, if you're using 26g try 28g etc. The number of wraps will also effect resistance, if its too low try adding a wrap (could be difficult if the coils are already wound/cut, need to do it before trimming them). Go with a slightly longer wire and instead of a 5 wrap coil try a 6 wrap.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This has been discussed a few times. Basically, Alien TC is "iffy", at best. The option to adjust ohms is a bad feature and shouldn't have been included. You're trying to fool the chip into thinking the resistance of your build is more than double what it actually is. It's letting you get away with it, but it shouldn't be. It's stopping you from going higher because it's smarter than you. Everything has limits. When you "abuse protects" on purpose, you will break shit. Listen to your roommate, and stop trying to break shit.

Street_hawk666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use temp control on the alien and the skyhook box however it works best with single coil. 316l at 3mm wrap. Clapton etc don't work consistently.. try to get the ohms above 0.2 as by nature SS has very little movement on resistance for the chip to respond for TC. The correct TCR is also important. Also every now and then remove the rda and fire the alien to get the prompt "no atomizer or similar mesaage" and then reattach and when prompted for new coil select yes. ( make sure rda is at room temp) I find that this helps as ss reaistance tends to change by a tiny fraction over the first few days of use..hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure your leads are tight ... my alien will fire fine then say ohms too low
It drove me stupid for about an hour then a light bulb went off and told me to check the screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I did make certain that the leads were tight when I was fiddling with the build. :)

The mod displays for amperage aren't really useful, not from my experience. I'm currently running a stainless steel ss316L coil at .218 and 55w. The mod says 16.42a. However if I use the formula for regulated mods to determine amp draw on the batteries, Watts / min voltage (generally 3.2v per battery, two batteries so 6.4v / mod efficiency (generalized at 90% or .9) - I end up with 55/6.4/.9 which comes out to 9.55a. I'm using samsung 30q's rated to 20a continuous so well within safe and much safer than the readout which says 16.42a.

Mooch rated the lg hg2's at 18a continuous, you're using 55w and two batteries so 55w/6.4v/.9 equals the same 9.55a as my setup. The hg2's are fine.

Temp control on the alien is lackluster in my opinion. The theory of temp control is great and I enjoy smooth tc. The alien just doesn't do it. Mods with dna chips, fsk chips and yihi chips do really well for tc. My old istick tc100w didn't do half bad with tc, it was fairly smooth. The alien seems slow to ramp up and when it does fire it pushes the temps hotter than what I set them to like it pulses power for too long. Then it backs off which is good, it's supposed to but there's a moment of no firing going on before it decides to kick in another wave of power and overshoots the desired temp again. Just my experience with it.

Can't really say on the manual resistance settings, haven't messed with mine. This is purely a guess but part of the reason for the errors you're getting when you set resistance too high manually, the mod may be seeing your manually set .25ohms and comparing it to the results it's actually getting from your coil which if it's actually polling .1 ohms it sees a discrepancy. Not just a minor difference, but a pretty massive difference of double the resistance. If it uses your input value as the 'standard' but 'actual' is far less it may trigger an internal alert to the mod assuming there's a short and so it throws the warning message. If for instance you built a coil and didn't mess with the variable resistance settings, just built a coil and installed it and one of the leads were touching the wall of the chamber or the top cap of the rda it would drop ohms significantly and the mod would throw an error letting you know 'hey, double check because I'm getting a short or something's not right'. You may not physically have a short but could be creating conditions representative of one. Just my theory, don't take it as gospel and I have no scientific data on how the mod chips and protections are coded to work.

If you're suffering slow ramp up you may need to set your watts higher in tc mode. 3 clicks takes you to mode select, click to get to 'temp' and hold the firing button to enter tc mode, the first value asks you for strength in watts. That's the power initially put to the coil to reach the temp you set, setting a higher wattage it should reach the input temp faster. Then you select coil type, tc-ss. Then it says tc-ss with a value you can adjust in the form of 0.000xx. That's the tcr value. I don't recall what the default is set to but it's for a different type of stainless most likely. There are different types of stainless steel, much of it is ss316L which is a specific type of stainless. The TCR for ss316L is 0.00092. If it's reading differently and you're using ss316L specifically you need to change it.

Djlsbvapes has a chart here for various tcr values for various wire types.
https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/

Ramp wattage shouldn't affect your batteries too much. Using the formula from before with lg hg2's, you could go to 100w and still be fine with those batteries (comes out to 17.36a). Stainless wire has fairly low resistance in general compared to say kanthal. If you're used to building a coil at a certain gauge kanthal like 24g x amount of wraps and id etc and you get .2 ohms, don't be surprised if the same exact coil in 24g ss316L comes out significantly lower. You may find you have to use 26g or 28g stainless wire to stay at the same resistance with 24g kanthal. Not sure what gauge wire you're using, it could be if you're running thicker wire (24-26) and twisting it (which further lowers resistance) and dual coils (cuts resistance in half vs a single coil) that's where your low ohms are coming from. Try going up a gauge in the wire you're using, if using 24g try 26g, if you're using 26g try 28g etc. The number of wraps will also effect resistance, if its too low try adding a wrap (could be difficult if the coils are already wound/cut, need to do it before trimming them). Go with a slightly longer wire and instead of a 5 wrap coil try a 6 wrap.

Lots of fantastic info! I like your thinking regarding why it is giving me error messages. Makes sense. I'm familiar with all of the settings available on the mod. I set my tcr to 00092 for 316L. I'll definitely enjoy making my own coils

So I just put it back into tc mode and raised the ramp wattage to 100w. I'm seeing almost 30 amps and 2.3v it's giving me both of the error messages in this configuration. Really not understanding this.

This has been discussed a few times. Basically, Alien TC is "iffy", at best. The option to adjust ohms is a bad feature and shouldn't have been included. You're trying to fool the chip into thinking the resistance of your build is more than double what it actually is. It's letting you get away with it, but it shouldn't be. It's stopping you from going higher because it's smarter than you. Everything has limits. When you "abuse protects" on purpose, you will break shit. Listen to your roommate, and stop trying to break shit.

The beauty is that I paid for the mod with money I earned and I won't be devastated if it broke. ;)

My question is, is it safe to raise the ohms and lower the wattage? The voltage, watts and amps are all great on the screen, but I don't know if anything is going on behind the curtain that I'm not privy to.

My roommate is a tool.

I use temp control on the alien and the skyhook box however it works best with single coil. 316l at 3mm wrap. Clapton etc don't work consistently.. try to get the ohms above 0.2 as by nature SS has very little movement on resistance for the chip to respond for TC. The correct TCR is also important. Also every now and then remove the rda and fire the alien to get the prompt "no atomizer or similar mesaage" and then reattach and when prompted for new coil select yes. ( make sure rda is at room temp) I find that this helps as ss reaistance tends to change by a tiny fraction over the first few days of use..hope this helps

Thanks! Every time I change the batteries I click yes for the new coil prompt. I don't see any reason to ever say no. :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Clearly it isn't safe. It's straight up telling you it isn't safe. But by all means, do what you want with your money. I expect you'll blame the mod when you eventually abuse it to death. :facepalm:

Street_hawk666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Clearly it isn't safe. It's straight up telling you it isn't safe. But by all means, do what you want with your money. I expect you'll blame the mod when you eventually abuse it to death. :facepalm:
And to add the Quality control with smok is abysmal lately.. aliens failing for all sorts of reasons.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
this post nails it ^

Don't waste your time trying to use TC with the alien. it'll make you dislike temp control

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Every time I change the batteries I click yes for the new coil prompt. I don't see any reason to ever say no. :)

Here's a reason to say no:
If the coil isn't at room temp, the resistance reading will be incorrect. Not that it matters if you are going to ignore it anyway, I suppose.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fair enough, I'll continue to do what I like. Telling me not to do something without any explanation as to why is not sufficient to make me stop. That's an invitation to show your knowledge on why something is so, not just a declaration that it is so.

I'm not the stereotypical bro vaper. I'm a grown man. If it breaks I will take responsibility for my errors. You won't hear any complaints from me. That said, if it breaks I'll still search for the reason why. I'm a father and have never said "because I said so", and I won't listen to it either.

At this point I'm not using tc at all. I may revisit it once I have coils that aren't near the edge of what the device is capable of dealing with. I'd like to point out that I have used the device in all modes with the coils I have, which should be perfectly acceptable since my dual coil setup is actually within the usable perameters as designated by Smok.

Perhaps once I fry this mod I'll look into a DNA device.

Thanks for the help that was constructive.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Fair enough, I'll continue to do what I like. Telling me not to do something without any explanation as to why is not sufficient to make me stop. That's an invitation to show your knowledge on why something is so, not just a declaration that it is so.

I'm not the stereotypical bro vaper. I'm a grown man. If it breaks I will take responsibility for my errors. You won't hear any complaints from me. That said, if it breaks I'll still search for the reason why. I'm a father and have never said "because I said so", and I won't listen to it either.

At this point I'm not using tc at all. I may revisit it once I have coils that aren't near the edge of what the device is capable of dealing with. I'd like to point out that I have used the device in all modes with the coils I have, which should be perfectly acceptable since my dual coil setup is actually within the usable perameters as designated by Smok.

Perhaps once I fry this mod I'll look into a DNA device.

Thanks for the help that was constructive.

You don't want an explanation. You want to be right. I gave you reasons. You ignored them. I've been a father for 26 years, so I know a willful child when I see one. Go trash mods to your heart's content. You won't change physics to suit your whims.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not even the one telling you not to do it lol. The mod is, as it's meant to.

Is it safe for your teeth? Probably. I mean it's protected you from yourself so far, right? Just be glad it doesn't have feelings.

Is it safe for the mod? Who knows how much abuse it can take? I guess you can keep us updated on that.

And I agree that, "Because I said so", is never acceptable; which is why I don't say it. If you hear it, instead of the best explanation one can offer, that's on you.
So once more for the road:

The mod needs to read the resistance at room temperature, which is the resting state of the coil material, and the temp at which it establishes a baseline reading. As the coil heats, the resistance rises. As it cools, the resistance lowers. If you let the mod read the resistance of a warm coil as it's baseline, the baseline will be wrong at room temp. If you manually change the resistance, the mod cannot establish a correct baseline resistance. It will reach it's amperage or voltage limit because you tricked it into doing so. When it reaches it's limits, it will give you the, "Don't Abuse Protects" or "Ohms Too Low" or whatever, message it's programmed to give. Ever heard the old programmer's axiom, "Garbage in. Garbage out"? It means a computer is only as intelligent as it's user. Only in this case, it knows not to do what you are asking it to do. It's protecting itself from you, and possibly protecting you from yourself, as well.

That's the best I've got, and it's just a damn long winded version of what's already been said. Take it or leave it.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wasn't talking to you specifically. In fact, I meant to agree with you about a reading that isn't done at room temperature. I hadn't thought of that.

Father for 22 years here, for the record.

I think I've confused the question that I wanted an answer to. I already agree with what you've said above.

First my coils are within spec for the mod. I'm not getting any error messages with my current setup. It's working great. Neither the mod nor the tank get hot, just warm. My coils read just over .1ohms I've raised the indicated resistance to .25ohms and lowered the wattage to around 50w. The amps are about 15 and voltage is 3.8

My intended question was, given the above, is it safe. The tc and other stuff were side questions. If the answer is no, I would like to know exactly why.

Thanks to everyone who has answered, or given their opinion. I'm certainly not here to fight.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ordered a Home Wrecker g2. I'll likely give the Alien to a family member. It's been a really great mod, as has been the one I bought for my girlfriend.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bygones.

What's wrong with the vape at it's actual resistance, that makes you feel you need to change it? Too hot? Too slow? Spitback?

Just saw you ordered a G2. Excellent choice. :cheers:

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The amps go through the roof running at a low resistance/high wattage. Honestly everything seems much better at the higher (indicated) resistance. Flavor, temperature of the device, apparent running conditions, etc...

The main reason I started looking at the g2 is because I'm a tinkerer by nature. The more a device will do, and the more I can fiddle, the better.

That's primarily why I bought the Kylin and tools to make my own coils. I ordered stuff last night to start working on my own juice too. I've cut way back on my smoking and I'm ready to make the change over entirely. I knew from the beginning that making this a hobby would satisfy more than one need and make quitting smoking easier. I was spending $16 a day on cigarettes. That's... Well, I don't want to know how much that is per year. Vaping, even at a hobby level, is far far less expensive.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The amp reading on the screen is what's coming from the chip, not what's being pulled from the batts, so you needn't worry that it appears higher than your batteries' rating.

If I was unclear earlier, the mod has a set amp and volt limit. The resistance it reads, and the wattage you set, determine how it reaches those limits. Lower resistances hit the amp limit first. Higher resistances reach the volt limit first. So basically you are reaching the volt limit sooner by setting the resistance higher. You may set it to 220 watts, but it'll hit the volt limit long before it puts out 220. Which is why you're getting a more tame vape by fudging the resistance so much.

I'm thinking the biggest issue is that the build, in it's natural state, isn't suited to what you want from it. I can't say with 100% certainty that you're damaging the mod, but it's just a mass produced Chinese mod, and you can probably throw it farther than you should trust it, if you know what I mean. I have 2 Aliens, 3 counting the wife's, and none have given us trouble in the 8 months we've been using them. But then again, I haven't done to them what you've been doing.

IMHO, the G2 is a far, far superior product. It may not be as pretty, and have the fancy screen, but it's as solid as the brick it looks like, and vapes like a dream. It has cured my lust for the pretty mods lol.

So you really just need to learn to build to suit your tastes, and it sounds like that's where you're headed now.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Excellent! Those are some great insights that I didn't know. I can make just about anything out of leather, I've literally made millions of pounds of cheese and I know plenty about a dozen things, but I don't know electricity or pcb's. Thanks for explaining that. I won't worry so much about the amps and I'll fiddle with what I have control over with the coils I have. I believe you are correct about the coils not being ideal for me. Unfortunately I knew absolutely nothing when I ordered them, I just went by reviews. I do have a Goon v1.5 coming so maybe they'll work better with the new combination. Or not. Either way I look forward to learning.

As for the g2, I think it looks fantastic. It was between that and a mech squonk and I chose tech. The mod I was looking at looked similar to the g2 and I dig the milled ohms. My company is Omega Leather Works, so it just fits in fine with my mark. The screen is fine so long as I can read it and my eyesight is still pretty good. ;)

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Further down the rabbit hole I go...

Hohm Wrecker G2
VV Kylin
Goon v1.5 (clone)

My Alien looks sad with no atty. :/

Thanks again for helping me with all of this. I need to update the software, then fiddle fiddle fiddle. :)

Edit- oh I have twisted kanthal builds that I made with single strand 24g in both attys. I took out the twisted SS just for this.
e383c353aa5872a8a8a5eac8518a0848.jpg

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks!

Jeez, I just went to update the G2 and two Aliens (mine is vx.x.x, hers is vbx.x.x) and I got hers updated, mine has a loose USB and won't update. The G2 was far simpler. Took two minutes, the Alien took 10+.

I'm still totally unclear on what all is American about the HW because there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but everything I've read on their site, the how-to video, and included literature is clearly written and plain makes sense. Now it's time to fiddle...

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks!

Jeez, I just went to update the G2 and two Aliens (mine is vx.x.x, hers is vbx.x.x) and I got hers updated, mine has a loose USB and won't update. The G2 was far simpler. Took two minutes, the Alien took 10+.

I'm still totally unclear on what all is American about the HW because there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but everything I've read on their site, the how-to video, and included literature is clearly written and plain makes sense. Now it's time to fiddle...

I never did get my Aliens updated, but got the G2 and Slice done easy-peasy. Never saw any rave reviews about the Alien updates anyway, so...meh. They work well enough in power mode, as is.

AFAIK, Hohmtech doesn't make anything but money in the U.S. The company is in Cali, but they still manage to print legible instructions lol.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The company is in Cali, but they still manage to print legible instructions lol.

Hahahaha funny. :)

Yeah, my girlfriend asked me why I wanted to update her mod. I thought about it, realized that I have no idea. I looked her straight in the eye and said "come with optimized performance" and we left it at that.

ckashif

Member For 1 Year
I just bought my smok alien, didnt realize its outdated. First I went for Smok G-Priv, but order was cancelled for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
but I found a website
I'm going to suggest finding a reliable website because this one (whatever it is) apparently doesn't know duck shit from apple butter.

there is chloroform and ethanol in the juice
Again, please cite your sources, because of all the fear mongering anti-vaping posts I've read in the 4+ years I've been vaping, chloroform and ethanol have never been mentioned (although I do have a juice recipe made with a corn flavoring that is absolutely delicious ;) ).

SO, it is supposed to be set at 65w max for the "best results" specified by the coil label; and .00118 was suggested on this site - but I found a website that providing in dept specifications on the v8 coil and it said .00098 is the cap off setting for the TC-V8. I would add the link but I closed it already, sorry. But what does it mean? It is a regulator. The setting is to stop the mod from over heating. The higher your temp setting, the higher the .00Xxx number must be. It is suggested not to go above .00118. So if you like your temp setting low, for more flavor. Your regulator should be low, otherwise you'll hear unnecessary sizzling in your tank.
Drivel. Again, please look into credible websites. I really hope one of our more knowledgeable members interjects here somewhere with the correct information you need.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I try to manually adjust the ohms higher than .25ohms I either get the "don't abuse product", or "coil short" screen. Why does this happen? I can continue to raise the ohms, but cannot fire the mod.

That function is to make minor adjustments and not to more than double the resistance the MOD actually sees. That is why it says do not abuse the product.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Glycerol is an additive (E422) used in the food industry and a thickening agent or a preservative. Its sweet taste makes it a sugar substitute present in low-fat products. at 290°C (or 554°F) and ethanol at 78°C (or 173°F)."/QUOTE]

Seems to me you just proved that VG is in ethanol, not the other way around.

Am I missing something here?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Propylene glycol (IUPAC name: propane-1,2-diol) is a synthetic organic compound with the chemical formula C3H8O2. It is a viscous, colorless liquid which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste. Chemically it is classed as a diol and is miscible with a broad range of solvents, including water, acetone, and chloroform[/QUOTE]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscibility

"Diesel fuel is immiscible in water. The bright rainbow pattern is the result of thin-film interference.
Miscibility
is the property of two substances to mix in all proportions (that is, to fully dissolve in each other at any concentration), forming a homogeneous solution. The term is most often applied to liquids, but applies also to solids and gases. Water and ethanol, for example, are miscible because they mix in all proportions."

That fact that it's possible to mix PG and chloroform together has nothing at all to do with eliquid.

For example, in the definition of Miscibility it says:

"Water and ethanol, for example, are miscible because they mix in all proportions."

This does not mean that there is ethanol in beer or coca cola just because water is.

Most words matter, So you kind of have to read them all together, in order.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Less resistance, or less ohms, equals more output of wattage or smoke cloud.

If you are using your vape correctly, there will be no smoke EVER - only vapor

ckashif

Member For 1 Year
Boiling nicotine taste like crap. id advise keeping it at 320*F and using 68W on .183ohms. But using TC mode is well worth it. Taking a few puffs in repetition while using Wattage mode causes to much of a burn taste for me..with the Alien TC mode I can turn it up to 470 then when it gets hot and boils the nicotine. I turn the temp back down to regulate the mod and let me know when its back at pure flavor.

Last edited:

ckashif

Member For 1 Year
"This does not mean that there is ethanol in beer or coca cola just because water is.
Ethanol is a substance found in all alcohol. Cocacola? Syrup, nitrogen, Co2, chlorine, and water make up coca cola, no ethanol is in coca cola..my bad tho 515-sicko i did read that wrong

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
well so sorry ms politically correct, didnt mean to dampen your parade..hey you guys are only making your forum look bad, no chip off my tooth.

Hahaha Since when is pointing out the important difference between smoke and vapor political?

It is an important distinction if you want to really help other vapers

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
lmao, not unless our audience is under 18..then a distinction would be warranted...seems to me your blowing smoke lady, no pun intended! lol

Haven't had a cigarette in almost three years :giggle:

Here is the thing, with so many governments and regulatory agencies worldwide equating vapor with the dangers of tobacco smoke, we as vapers have an obligation to make the distinction for newbies

ckashif

Member For 1 Year
So, I only wanted temp control from the very start. The reason being is that I tried my friends vape and it burned too hot. Made my front teeth feel warm and my lips felt like they got too hot.

I tried wattage mode on the Smok Alien. Messed with the settings for a bit. Then I came home after working 15 hours and the vaping just wasn't right to me. It almost seemed pointless, because I was constantly taking in the desired pulls to suit my nicotine fit.
Nicotine boils at 470F, first of all. The flavors burn at 370F or something.

[https://www.vapingpost.com/2016/10/25/temperature-control-mode-how-to-use-it/

"Temperature Control (TC) is the mode through which the box/mod regulates the intensity in order to keep the coil at a temperature that is defined by the user."

"Water boils at 100°C, Propylene Glycol is vaporized at 188°C (or 371°F), Vegetable Glycerin is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless viscous liquid that is used in pharmaceutical formulations. VG is exclusively derived from plants (soybeans or palm), since some can also be of synthetic origine or come from animal fat. Glycerol is an additive (E422) used in the food industry and a thickening agent or a preservative. Its sweet taste makes it a sugar substitute present in low-fat products. at 290°C (or 554°F) and ethanol at 78°C (or 173°F)."

"The most common is nicotine whose concentration cannot exceed 2% in Europe, but with values up to 4.8% in certain juices like those used in the Vype ePen, for example. Nicotine’s boiling point is reached at 247°C (or 477 °F)."]

I had been trying the TC control setting from time to time.......set on TC-TI. Which was wrong! I hadn't the slightest clue it was supposed to be set to "SS". With that said, my baby V8 tank is "SS" or stainless steel. So, I hadn't learned that until doing some research. So, I set my temperature control setting wrong from the beginning. My Wattage Mode setting was incorrect because I was vaping at 127W. I didn't know I needed to let the juice "set". Or, in other words, the cotton needs to soak up the juice before "firing". The juice seems to take a while for the cotton to absorb.

[https://www.smoktech.com/atomizer/tfv8-baby

"Material : Stainless Steel"
"Best : 55-65W]

SO, it is supposed to be set at 65w max for the "best results" specified by the coil label; and .00118 was suggested on this site - but I found a website that providing in dept specifications on the v8 coil and it said .00098 is the cap off setting for the TC-V8. I would add the link but I closed it already, sorry. But what does it mean? It is a regulator. The setting is to stop the mod from over heating. The higher your temp setting, the higher the .00Xxx number must be. It is suggested not to go above .00118. So if you like your temp setting low, for more flavor. Your regulator should be low, otherwise you'll hear unnecessary sizzling in your tank.

[https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2017/06/smok-alien-mod-tutorial.html

• Stainless Steel SS316L/317L: 0.00094
  • Stainless Steel SS 304: 0.00105 – 0.00104
  • Stainless Steel SS 316: 0.00094 – 0.00091
  • Stainless Steel SS 317: 0.00088]

As for the OHMS..the ohms are set low (.150), if you want the coils to boil the juice fast. Because, as all the sites say. Less resistance, or less ohms, equals more output of wattage or vape cloud. So, if you are a quick drag and done kind of smoker, a low ohm setting should be used (more sizzle, quick boil). If you are a long drag kind of smoker, a high ohm should be used. That is the reason for initial ohm setting.
On top of that setting, you can adjust TC-SS setting to effect the taste by what temp you set. All in all, the TC-SS setting is kind of a regulator for the temp setting you choose.

High Ohm, High Temp = Slow Boil + More Nicotine + Long Drag
Low Ohm, Low Temp = Quick Boil + More Flavor + Short Drag

High Ohm, Low Temp = Slow Boil + More Flavor + Long Drag
Low Ohm, High Temp = Quick Boil + More Nicotine + + Short Drag

So, try setting your wattage high for a short drag(137). Your temp. low for flavor(270). Your ohms high so you get a slow boil(.150). And your regulator TC-SS low so it doesn't get hot after a few drags and start burning your juice(.00060 will stop the drag). Then begin increasing your temp, decreasing your watts, and decreasing your ohms. These modifications should bring you to a setting that you desire for the proper nicotine burn that I was looking for.
Don't forget to let you cotton soak after changing your coil. And, more nicotine, more dehydration.

*new version of post with edits*

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
id advise keeping it at 320*F

This is totally INCORRECT because most coils I use will not even produce vapor at 320°F. Amazing how someone with such few posts wants to be telling people how to vape. You should go get buddy buddy with that dumbass who thinks he is a Scientist on that other rat hole forum. Have you ever even used TC Mode? I highly doubt it to be honest at least in my opinion.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using my Rafale on the RX200S with a .5Ω coil at 60W I set it for 320°F and at 1.6 seconds it goes into Temperature Protect. Can't even vape it at 320°.

ckashif

Member For 1 Year
thats because your not using a smok alien, this thread is about smok alien...sounds to me like im getting negative feedback for providings links to another forum - as i was requested

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thats because your not using a smok alien,

If I use my Alien for TC with the same tank and coil, 320°F will produce the same result. It just will not produce vapor.

Edit: I used the Alien just to prove it will not produce vapor at 320°F and it goes into Temperature protect just like I said.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors