Become a Patron!

Smok XPro BT50

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
icon1.png

Got my Smok XPro BT50.

This is just a quick review just after I got the BT50 earlier today.... so far, the verdict is still out on it. The width and depth is about what I envisioned... but it's a 1/4" taller than I expected. None of those are anything to complain about... I'm just mentioning it.... For a size comparison for those that have one... it's just a little shorter than an MVP but about the same in the other directions. There are certainly smaller mods available now if you are looking for one of those... I'd say this one is just a shorter but average sized one that uses a single 18650.

The screws for the battery cover... they are hex screws instead of phillips or slotted and they are much longer than they need to be. With the popularity that magnetic closures have... I see no reason for any type of screw especially a hex headed one. With the USB charge option, that will likely not be an issue with many but I would have liked to have been able to switch out batteries quicker or just charge them in my other charger without having to remove the screws.

The buttons... I knew they were rattly... I just didn't know they were RATTLY...
mrgreen.gif
. This isn't a flaw, they were engineered to be the way they are... just another bad choice IMO.

The 510 connector is recessed slightly in a 23mm diameter depression... not even a MM. This won't be an issue with 22m atomizers but could cause connection issues with larger ones. The Hanna style mods have a similar setup... Again, I think this wasn't a very forward thinking design that just brings limitations that could have been avoided. The 510 connection is self adjusting... so that is certainly a plus.

The weight of the device with a battery isn't bad... so not an issue there. It comes in at 176g with an Efest 18650 2500mah Purple battery. My A-Mod ZNA clone with a 18490 1600mah AW battery weighs in at 189g and my Vaporshark DNA 30 with a built in 1300mah battery is 123g.

The BT50 is bluetooth capable. Without enabling the BT, the mod takes a moment to wake up and fire, when the BT is enabled, it fires right away. The bluetooth is what gives the user access to their puff meter info, as well as a vape log. It is also how you can setup a custom firing configuration that allow you to preheat the coil at a higher output and then drop back to a lower one. You have up to 5 settings or I should say stages for the custom config that last a maximum of 12s combined. For my own needs... the custom firing config is all that I could see using of the BT features... You are also unable to use any of these features without an iPhone or Android smartphone. Oh... just found out that if you back out of the Android smartphone app ( Smart BEC ), it closes the app and your mod will turn off the BT a little later... you must keep the app running for this to not happen. So another knock against it and how they've set it up to work.

Would I recommend it to others... maybe would be the most I could say but at this point I'm leaning towards no more. You can get a 50w CDNA style mod for less and I'm uncertain if the BT features could make up for that even with the custom configuration it has. It isn't a bad mod... it just doesn't stand out from others I've seen. Unless you want one or two of the BT options... I'd say save about $10 and go for the M50 model instead if you are set on getting a Smok brand device.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Nicely done as expected:D

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I was interested in this when SMOK first announced them back in October, but they were taking way to long to produce and other more interesting devices came up so I lost interest.

SMOK has the M22, M36, and M50 in production now, and will probably give the M22 a go ... that is unless SMOK misses the market again :p

Thank you for your detailed thoughts on it. The Bluetooth aspect was never appealing to me, but I thought it was an attractive box and I liked that it has a mechanical mode too. :)

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was interested in this when SMOK first announced them back in October, but they were taking way to long to produce and other more interesting devices came up so I lost interest.

SMOK has the M22, M36, and M50 in production now, and will probably give the M22 a go ... that is unless SMOK misses the market again :p

Thank you for your detailed thoughts on it. The Bluetooth aspect was never appealing to me, but I thought it was an attractive box and I liked that it has a mechanical mode too. :)

I didn't care for the ZMax... but that was mostly because it was a one button mod and I'm not big on those. With this one... it's just doesn't bring much to the table IMO ( except for the custom firing feature which is nice for heavy gauge wire ) beyond that, it's another Hanna style mod with a pretty paint job.

At some point... I may cannibalize it for the electronics and make my own mod out of a nice piece of wood and/or metal. I don't dislike the electronics other than the part of needing the BT enabled to avoid the delayed firing... and 50w is more than enough for my needs at this time.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the review.. i really liked the look of this back when pics first surfaced but now I just don't see the appeal..

no magnets, the rattling buttons are big turn offs to me right off the bat.. and I could care less about BT.. plus 100$ price range that I've been seeing just doesn't make sense when I can get the sig100 for like 75$

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks for the review.. i really liked the look of this back when pics first surfaced but now I just don't see the appeal..

no magnets, the rattling buttons are big turn offs to me right off the bat.. and I could care less about BT.. plus 100$ price range that I've been seeing just doesn't make sense when I can get the sig100 for like 75$

I got mine on sale for $71 -- $76 shipped and I've seen it priced in the $75-$80 range at other places without a sale... Like a lot of mods, they start out high and then drop later.

I've had other buttons rattle and not bother me much, so when I read of it I was like "meh" just some more overly picky user reports like I read all of the time... but these rattle a lot more than what I expected.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine on sale for $71 -- $76 shipped and I've seen it priced in the $75-$80 range at other places without a sale... Like a lot of mods, they start out high and then drop later.

I've had other buttons rattle and not bother me much, so when I read of it I was like "meh" just some more overly picky user reports like I read all of the time... but these rattle a lot more than what I expected.

ok thats not too bad.. I was looking on ebay and a couple other sites and they were all around 100$ still (about a week ago) - i guess 75$ isn't too bad for 50 watts.. but my ocd would just go full force with the button rattle lol.. Smok does make some good products though so I would assume its probably built well and will last awhile (hope yours does at least)

I haven't checked out the other upcoming mods that were mentioned above but I keep hearing good things about the M22 / M50

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my Kanger Subtank and threw it on the BT50

DNAs.jpg

The first mod on the left is the Kangside Vamo 30 ( the first one with some minor power issues ) sporting the Infiniti Kayfun Lite + v2, the BT50 in the center and the Vaporshark DNA 30 with a gray ( they were suppose to have sent a black one ) sharkskin topped with an Aerotank v2

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone...

Happy Holidays for those that don't celebrate Christmas :)

VU Sponsors