Smowell DPV-50 box mod

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...hentic-smowell-dpv-50-variable-wattage-vw-apv

2191003-8.jpg

2191003-2.jpg

2191003-3.jpg

2191003-4.jpg
2191003-5.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Damn, that looks nice!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
However, battery sold separately, and no mention of a screwdriver being included. So I don't know how one is supposed to remove the cover.:rolleyes:o_O

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Converts into mech mode? WTF? It disassembles into a telescopic mech? Am I missing something?

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Converts into mech mode? WTF? It disassembles into a telescopic mech? Am I missing something?
The chip sets it to straight voltage from battery. Enjoy the day!:cool:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The chip sets it to straight voltage from battery. Enjoy the day!:cool:
OK, sarcastaball isn't my best sport. I kinda figured that. I just think its funny the way they demonstrate that the mod can run like a mech, with a photo of a telescopic tube mod.

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No disrespect sir. I agree it is hysterical the way the Chinese vendors try to convey a point through visualization. You gotta love the "High Security air holes heat dissipation". It kind of makes me wonder why they even have English speaking advisers on the payroll. It must get lost in translation. Enjoy the day!:cool:

Last edited:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like a case of Google-Fu translation in the specs.

FatCat

Member For 4 Years
Just ordered one from Gearbest. Hard to say no to a 50w regulated mod for $27 shipped. Figure it's good to have for a backup/spare. Anybody have one and want to share their experience?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I am waiting for you to share your experience:D

I own three Smowell DPV50s---in silver, black, and dark blue. The DPV-50 uses the same chip that was in the SMOK XPRO 50, but without the automatic power reduction problems that people complained about. The chip is accurate and vapes well. The battery cover on the bottom is secured with a tab and two hex screws (hex driver is included in the box). Not a mod for swapping batteries, though, as removing the hex screws is a chore. Even the manual recommends USB-charging, which works fine. While charging, the display even shows the numerical percentage of full charge in addition to a flashing bar. During vaping, the display shows the standard info and seems to read resistance accurately (to the nearest one-tenth ohm). The 510 connector has a spring-loaded floating positive pin and good threading. All tanks mount flush. The case is aluminum and a tad on the thin/flimsy side, but the upside to that is a lighter-weight mod that's small and ergonomically comfortable in the hand. The buttons rattle a bit, but no more so than on many other regulated boxes.

I've had my first one (from fasttech) for a month now, with no problems or quirks. I ordered it on a whim, thinking that I'd probably not like it, but it pleased me so much that I now have two more from gearbest, with a fourth on the way. For what I paid ($27 shipped), I prefer them to my iSticks.

I've read one negative review from someone who couldn't figure out how to install the battery, but every other review I've seen has been positive. No, it's not a Sigelei 150W or an SX-Mini, but it's a great budget mod. I've been running mine at 25 watts with sub-ohm RTAs---single-coil Taifun GT-T V2s at 0.7 ohms and a dual-coil Orchid V6 at 0.5 ohms---and all three have performed flawlessly so far.

Smowell also has the DPV-65 that uses two 18650 IMRs in a triangular body shape with a 65-watt chip. That one's about $38 from either gearbest or fasttech.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been kinda looking for a dual 18650 mod that isn't 100 w plus as I would never use that. That dpv-65 caught my eye as well. Thanks for the mini review, I actually kinda like the look of it. I've considered a kbox but the limited wattage options would probably be an issue for me.

FatCat

Member For 4 Years
billherbst: Thanks for the post. I've seen a couple of positive reviews on the DPV50 and took a chance. Still waiting for my order to arrive on the slow boat from...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It does look like it would be more comfortable to hold than a box mod would be.

Has anyone had trouble receiving their DPV-50?
I'm getting the runaround from GB and the USPS. Tracking shows my order has stalled in Nevada for 2 weeks but the USPS tells me that they don't have physical possession of the package anywhere in the U.S. - they say it may not even be in the country....their "tracking" is a computer generated simulation of what should be happening. What the Fuck does that mean for me???
GB says it's shipped, shows me a pic of it, but the USPS says "we don't have it even though our tracking shows it a few hundred miles from you"
This is a bad joke, right? :mad:

FatCat

Member For 4 Years
Hey Mick, welcome to my Gear-worst experience. Ordered a DPV50 on 4/30, still waiting (less patiently). Sent an email to customer support last week to ask about delivery and got a reply that said, in essence, be patient it's on the way. USPS doesn't even pick the tracking number. It may arrive in my lifetime.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hey Mick, welcome to my Gear-worst experience. Ordered a DPV50 on 4/30, still waiting (less patiently). Sent an email to customer support last week to ask about delivery and got a reply that said, in essence, be patient it's on the way. USPS doesn't even pick the tracking number. It may arrive in my lifetime.

USPS most likely won't track until it hits customs. Then it should start showing a lot of activity.

FatCat

Member For 4 Years
Uncle RJ, here's the post I promised.
At long last received the DPV50 I ordered from Gear-worst on 4/30/2015 yesterday. It took one month for free delivery to get it to my door. Ordered it because of the low price, $26.99, the specs and a few good reviews, as a cheap backup for the car. Package arrived in good shape, undamaged. Opened the box and pulled out a very light weight, small regulated mod. Popped in a fully charged batt and powered it up with no trauma. Screen is quite readable, control buttons are sturdy and "clickey" with good tactile feedback. Mounted a Nautilus (1.6ohm) on it, then a Herakles (.3ohm), then an Atlantis (.5ohm), and two old Kayfun clones (.7 and 1ohm). Each tank made solid contact with the 510 spring loaded center pin, sat flush on the mod and performed well . That's better than some of my more costly regulated and mech mods can do. Found it to be very comfortable in the hand and pleasant to use. Was most surprised by how compact and light it is, solid control buttons and a very well done 510 connection. From a price/performance perspective I think it's a good deal.
Was it worth the effort? Other than the long wait for delivery I'm really satisfied with the product, especially since it was so inexpensive. Only concern now is how well it will continue to perform over time. Even if it only lasts six months it would be worth replacing it with another one at this price.

Speed_GA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had my DRV50 for about a month now. It was working great but now is dead. I've had better luck with the Isticks then this unit. I think some juice may have got in it though the 510 connection. Guess I'm going find out what the insides look like. If I can find the small ass allen wrench that came with it. LOL

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been eyeing that myself to replace my cloupor mini that took a shit on me...Being 50 watts as well is a bonus.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been looking at these since it showed up on one of Vapor Joe's deals and steals. May have to get one now.....

FatCat

Member For 4 Years
I've had my DRV50 for about a month now. It was working great but now is dead. I've had better luck with the Isticks then this unit. I think some juice may have got in it though the 510 connection. Guess I'm going find out what the insides look like. If I can find the small ass allen wrench that came with it. LOL

Leaky tanks are my major source of irritation. I've tried all kinds of genuine and clone tanks and the only ones that have not leaked are the Aspire Nautilus and Atlantis and the Sense Herakles. I still use a couple of old Kayfuns and finally figured out how to wick them to minimize leaking, but still find some small drops of juice escaping the air feed holes so I always use them with a tissue in my hand. With the new sub-ohm coils available today, and the fact that several tanks accept the same coils, I see no reason to continue using RDA's or any tank that leaks.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Been checking them out as well. The DPV-65 is really tempting for the price.

Speed_GA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just thinking the other day about going back to my Atlantis cuz I didn't remember it leaking as mush as my Kanger tanks. I sold off my Nautilus tank a long time ago. It didn't have the air flow I was looking for. But I'll try again. Still can find that dam allen wrench looks like I'm going to the hardware store again...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Teresa, if you're willing to wait a month for delivery, go for it. I've yet to see these offered by a USA vendor.
And thanks for the heads up....it isn't the delivery time that bothers me. But if no one will carry them here, something's up.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Angelcigs ships from Shenzhen, China. Still haven't found a USA vendor.
Me either, kinda makes me wonder if it's really any good even though it got a decent review from an American on Youtube

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have both the 50 and the 65, I really like the feel in my hand and the adjust-ability, have had mine for some time now, and honestly, I kind of like them better than my K-Boxes, do not get me wrong love the Kangers, but I have had far less problems, hell none at all with these, wish could say the same for the K-Boxes, which have a serious design flaw with the center pin insulator.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had the 50 for awhile. It's not a bad little mod. I use it as a backup. My only 2 complaints are:
1. The screws don't seem like they will take a lot of use before stripping. But so far so good, then again I use the onboard charger.
2. If you put it in your pocket, be careful before you use it. More than once I put it in my pants pocket at 20 watts and pulled it out at 50. It's very easy to accidentally adjust the power up or down.

I'm not saying it's bad, heck for $27 it's not bad at all.

Cheers,
Steve

VU Sponsors