Become a Patron!

misa0890

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's up guys. The one and only mech mod that I have is the SMPL+. I've heard nothing but great reviews all around but I've been having a problem with the switch (made of delrin). It constantly gets stuck when I try to fire it. Sometimes I have to adjust the button to get a nice firm hit. But when I do, it creates battery rattle. Even when I adjust the switch and it starts to fire fine, after 1 or 2 hits I have to readjust the button again. I haven't heard of this problem while watching all these reviews. Maybe I shouldn't trust reviews I read online anymore? Anyway, I digress. I really like the mod because it's small and simple as the name implies. Hybrid top cap for great connectivity/(conductivity??). I just wanted to know if other people have had the same problem and if so how did they remedy it?

On another note, I think its time to try a new mech mod anyway. Suggestions??

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you saying that after tightening the Button down, after you use it a bit, the button backs out? That could be due to the way you hold the mod. The Buttons aren't Reverse Threaded (turn counter-clockwise to loosen). If you're using the mod in your right hand, the way your finger rests on it and pushes it in actually unscrews it from the mod gradually as you use it. Try using it your left hand and see if that helps. I have the SMPL mod and haven't come across this problem, but my buddy had the same problem, told him to switch hands, and voila, no more button unscrewing and battery rattle! :D

As for other Mech mods, there's sooo many to pick from, but I'm recommending this based on personal experience and versatility: Stingray / Nemesis. (I have the Stingray X, but have used all of them, they all perform the same)
These are both relatively the same (have the same features and same design style), both have switches with reverse locking rings (and are both magnetic and spring compatible), both have 510 and hybrid adapters, and both are "Extension Tube" mods (can take 18350/18500/18650 batteries) making them very customizable (can make a short tube, tall tube, even get a couple and switch out sleeves to make them multi-colored too, seeing as how both come in multiple color options).
nemesis6_1_2.jpg
stingray-guts.jpg

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Had SMPL+ and didn't like it. It had "sticky" plastic part of the button. My buddy has an old SMPL with brass button and his works perfectly. REM Creations SMPL is more like the old ones but it has problems with arcing due to the coating on the switch. Heard that you can send off the coating and it work fine after that, but I didn't feel that I should be doing that after paying $120. Instead I went with authentic copper XIXX and have no problems since then. Paid only $65 for authentic mod, and received it two days later. Cool people, and stable company with no drama as well. Plenty of spare parts and cheap tubes for 18650,18490/500, 18350 if you ever decide to change configuration. Strong magnetic switch smooth as butter, and hybrid connection on top. They are still available I think.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Radel button does tend to stick. You can sand down the scalloped grooves to reduce this tendency. Roundhouse > SMPL+ for what it is worth. The palladium plated contact of the SMPL+ does little to mitigate the effects of arcing. I have found it no better to control pitting than that of the original SMPL. The design of the Roundhouse switch is far more simple and robust that that of the SMPL+ as well. Primary drawback versus is that you lose the juice well.

smpl_plus.jpg

Last edited:

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Roundhouse looks solid by pics. Is it 22mm or 24mm dia?
Juice well is convenient, but should not be a deal breaker. Personally I prefer not to leak everywhere:) it's a sign that something is wrong in there.

budd77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Smpl+ and it works perfectly. The switch never sticks. I have built as low as .15 and have not had a hot button. It hits hard. I love the Smpl+. It's my favourite mod! The Rem Mod had a new switch without any plating. I believe it has a brass contact.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's a good news about REM switch. It will hurt my wallet.

VU Sponsors