Become a Patron!

So I finally bought a really good propane bbq

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The MHP Heritage Series WHRG4DD Infrared Gas Grill. It cost some $$, I got tired of buying a new grill every 3 years because they rusted out or the valve crapped out. Replacements parts cost as much as the damn grill! From everyone I know who has one, they appear to be really really durable and made in the USA. They're not SS, but I'm not into aesthetics, I'm into cooking slabs of bovine flesh and cuts of oinkers with the occasional slice of Bambi in the late fall. Oh yea, vegetables and fish once in a while.

4_8.jpg

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most of the gas grilles out there have gotten so terribly junky in the past 4 years. I fully understand the replacement for most of these after a couple of years. I bought a "members mark" (sams club) ss grille about 9 years ago which was such a well made grille. I went back this mpast year to get another and now they are all crap.

As much as I hated to pay the price, I finally ended up with a Weber naturale gas model. Great grille as well.

I probably do more "smoking" on another grille that anything else, but love a great gas grill that will get hot as hell and sear my steaks really quick.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats a well made grille there. Great grille......One of the few. Cheers !!

I got a Webber this year three burner with seer burners. I got the natural gas model which you have to order.

I also got tired of the crummy made grilles that fill the parking lot at Walmart and lowes amd Home Depot. Just crap for the most part.

Sams Members Mark brand used to be a great grille years ago (mine lasted me 9 years)..... I threw it away three years ago before I went out and checked on other grilles..... (should have replaced the burner system for 80 bucks)......cause when I went to buy another, I found out that they were not the same animal anymore. Just cheap junk like all of the rest.

Thumbs up on the new infared grille !!

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of the gas grilles out there have gotten so terribly junky in the past 4 years. I fully understand the replacement for most of these after a couple of years. I bought a "members mark" (sams club) ss grille about 9 years ago which was such a well made grille. I went back this mpast year to get another and now they are all crap.

As much as I hated to pay the price, I finally ended up with a Weber naturale gas model. Great grille as well.

I probably do more "smoking" on another grille that anything else, but love a great gas grill that will get hot as hell and sear my steaks really quick.

That's one reason I got it, Infrared searing @ 1200 Deg F. A minute a side plus a couple on the the grill and a perfect medium rare steak is done. It's actually a hybrid, 1 Infrared burner, 2 cast SS burners. What sold me was the lifetime warranty on everything but the lava rocks (they call them moon rocks), the lava rock grate and the ignition system. Pretty good warranty. As far as smoking goes, you just dump wood chips into a cast iron box with slots and place it on the right side of the grill burners, plenty of smoke for ribs or Brisket.

Ed: Forgot to add the BBQ has a rotisserie with a dedicated rotisserie burner so I can cook roasts, game hens, chickens,turkeys, and pork shoulders (Boston Butts).

Last edited:

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry for the double post. My computer was being funky and I thought I lost the first post..:confused:

I had no idea yours went to 1200 degrees. Wow. Now Im jealous....

I do my Fillets and NY Strips after sea salting at 1 min, 1 min, 2 min, 2 min....done

Now if we could just get them to Ruth Criss temps of 2200 D......

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for the double post. My computer was being funky and I thought I lost the first post..:confused:

I had no idea yours went to 1200 degrees. Wow. Now Im jealous....

I do my Fillets and NY Strips after sea salting at 1 min, 1 min, 2 min, 2 min....done

Now if we could just get them to Ruth Criss temps of 2200 D......

I looked a professional model that was all infrared with the ability to go to 2000 Deg F. on the sear burner. $3800 was way too much for a bbq, If I was a professional chef, perhaps, but not just a dude that bbq's 2-3 times a week year round. The bbq I have now is roughly twice the cost of of Home Depots Giant Weber propane beasts.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Our Home Depots around Atlanta don't offer mine. Had to be ordered . Mine is the S 3300 1100.00 to 1200.00 bucks most places but can be found for around 900.00 if you shop around.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Our Home Depots around Atlanta don't offer mine. Had to be ordered . Mine is the S 3300 1100.00 to 1200.00 bucks most places but can be found for around 900.00 if you shop around.
Ouch! that about what mine cost....

Did you get the quick disconnect NG hose and fittings with it?

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ouch! that about what mine cost....

Did you get the quick disconnect NG hose and fittings with it?

Yes. Pretty nice that. Mine was the natural gas model is why nobody carries it. The Webber lasts for so very long is why I got it, but if I knew ther was a similar quality one out there that heated to 1200 so fast, I would have gotten one like yours.

Like I say, I like to smoke Ribs and Butts for ,hours on a smoker, but for steaks and quick hotdogs for the kids, I wanted a good gas grille I didn't have to rebuild or throw away so often.

D

Donald Bickers

I just got a charbroil big easy infrared smoker roaster and grill all in one,,,,,its not real high end but i tell you what it shure makes some good food ,,,fairly quick and gas friendly..

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My neighbor has a big easy, he uses it quite often, usually smoking a pork shoulder or loin roast. Not bad for the money. I used to use the Patio Bistro infrared by Charbroil. The problem is the grill only lasts 3 years or so before it rusts out.

D

Donald Bickers

My neighbor has a big easy, he uses it quite often, usually smoking a pork shoulder or loin roast. Not bad for the money. I used to use the Patio Bistro infrared by Charbroil. The problem is the grill only lasts 3 years or so before it rusts out.
I built a box /shed kinda of a thing to keep it in so its not right in the elements,,,,but if i get 3 years ill be happy,,thats just a little over 50 bucks a year,,infrared is the way to go,,no flare ups.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I just have on of those big assed SS Charbroils, propane, four burners with a side heating element.

With a little bit of creativity, and decent size steel pipe on one end, I can do a fairly decent job of smoking a roast over a water pan.

While not overly expensive I can get the job done and I can cook some great steaks and ribs and chops and such.

But when the Mrs. is out of town, I get out my old Hibachi, fire it up with charcoal started with one of those chimney things and some soaked wood chips (I love Mesquite) and it does a great job.

And sometimes for small groups I have one of those cooking tripods that you put over a campfire and do the whole meal there. Potatoes and corn on the cob wrapped in tin foil buried in some hot coals and ashes and the steaks over the hot part.

IMHO, it don't get much better than that.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Me, I just have on of those big assed SS Charbroils, propane, four burners with a side heating element.

With a little bit of creativity, and decent size steel pipe on one end, I can do a fairly decent job of smoking a roast over a water pan.

While not overly expensive I can get the job done and I can cook some great steaks and ribs and chops and such.

But when the Mrs. is out of town, I get out my old Hibachi, fire it up with charcoal started with one of those chimney things and some soaked wood chips (I love Mesquite) and it does a great job.

And sometimes for small groups I have one of those cooking tripods that you put over a campfire and do the whole meal there. Potatoes and corn on the cob wrapped in tin foil buried in some hot coals and ashes and the steaks over the hot part.

IMHO, it don't get much better than that.

I've got a swivel dealie on a 2" post for our fire pit with a 36" cast iron grill. Last time I used it was last fall when we had a neighborhood Halloween party. 16 Burgers, 18 Bratwurst plus frankfurters for the kids, and there was still room for more!

My Hibachi doesn't get much love theses days. I think I bought it back in college...Anyway, 40 lbs of THICK cast iron - this thing is a beast, but it cooks a great steak...

VU Sponsors