So, I would like your input.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I want to know what the VU community likes in a dual battery box mod. Gimme details.
1. Battery size and quantity
2. Build type (Parrallel or Serial)
3. Kill switch?
4. Button and 510 connector position
5. Access panel fastener type
6. Materials
7. Decoration (Minimal or Other)
8. Mosfet, Resetable Fuses?
9. Extras (Juice Compartment, Etc)

Tell me what your dream mod is. Tell me what has and hasn't worked for you. Tell me what you love and what you hate about box mods you've used.
Thanks in advance,
CB

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My dream box would be a bottom fed dual 18650 okr 10 box. I've never gotten around to trying to make a bottom feeder lol. As for materials it really doesn't matter as long as it's not plastic and the dimensions aren't to big.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like:
Duel PARALELL batteries. Not jiggy with series.
FatDaddy 510 Connector up top.
Anti vandal button, or any low key button like that. No horn buttons for me.
Mofset definitely.
Voltmeter.
Kill switch doesn't matter to me, I can go without it.
I like wires dressed with para cord. If they aren't dressed, then I want wire colors to be RIGHT. Red (positive) and Black (negative).
MUST have magnets in the mod AND the door. Some guys are only putting them in the box and using screws in the door (bad idea).
18650 or 26650. I am pretty sure the 18's are more popular, but I'd buy a 26650 box if it's prices right.

I'd also like to see something more than the shit paint job that Hammond puts on a box. Whatever that is, it has to look better than a half ass carbon fiber sticker (or similar) that I have seen other's doing.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1. Battery size and quantity Dual 256650
2. Build type (Parrallel or Serial) Parallel
3. Kill switch? Yes
4. Button and 510 connector position Button near the top of the mod, 510 in the center top section
5. Access panel fastener type Magnets of course
6. Materials Oak, Exotic woods, Hardwoods
7. Decoration (Minimal or Other) Minimal with a logo of your design
8. Mosfet, Resetable Fuses? Mosfet definitely.
9. Extras (Juice Compartment, Etc) You could make a beast 30 ml squonker with 26650's. I'm sure plenty of people would buy one, me included.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking at producing rare or exotic hardwood boxes. I'll also probably be taking custom orders and offering custom engraving.
So, any particular woods you might be interested in?

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like:
Duel PARALELL batteries. Not jiggy with series.
FatDaddy 510 Connector up top.
Anti vandal button, or any low key button like that. No horn buttons for me.
Mofset definitely.
Voltmeter.
Kill switch doesn't matter to me, I can go without it.
I like wires dressed with para cord. If they aren't dressed, then I want wire colors to be RIGHT. Red (positive) and Black (negative).
MUST have magnets in the mod AND the door. Some guys are only putting them in the box and using screws in the door (bad idea).
18650 or 26650. I am pretty sure the 18's are more popular, but I'd buy a 26650 box if it's prices right.

I'd also like to see something more than the shit paint job that Hammond puts on a box. Whatever that is, it has to look better than a half ass carbon fiber sticker (or similar) that I have seen other's doing.
@freemind
you said you'd like a voltmeter. I'd like some input on what sort of placement and color you'd prefer, if you'd be so kind. And do you want it always visible, or behind the access panel?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like mine visible, but few mod makers are producing them that way. I prefer green, as I prefer everything green.
I would like to see it placed the opposite side of the fire button. Or in the least, on the bottom side of the fire button side.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On top would not work for you? Just wondering. I'm trying to come up with widely acceptable designs. Your input is invaluable.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On top would not work for you? Just wondering. I'm trying to come up with widely acceptable designs. Your input is invaluable.

It would work. But what about room? When your 510 is centered, will you have enough room? And would that position allow any atty that leaked, to get juice into the voltmeter and kill it?

It would be easier to see the voltmeter on top when you vape, but I'd hope there wouldn't be more negatives than positives.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had planned to flush mount it, and seal the opening. And yeah, the face is small. Even with the 510 in the middle it should fit on top. Just have to mount it sideways.

Stormweaver1983

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would be interested as well. I only have a standard mech mod at the moment, but would love something unique like this for home use.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would be interested as well. I only have a standard mech mod at the moment, but would love something unique like this for home use.
Fantastic. I'm glad the market seems to be good for it.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but one of the reasons I have never bought a box mod is that I feel they are just ugly. There is a big potential for builders to get creative, and I just haven't seen a single box that screamed BUY ME just yet.

I think there is an untapped market out there for someone with serious woodworking skills to sell ultra high end exotic wood box mods. Look at some cigar humidors for examples. Ripple or tiger striped maple with ebony inlay...stuff like that. Some of those things are be-au-tiful. I'm probably sounding like an elitist asshole, but the only way I would ever buy one is if it looked like a hand crafted piece of art.

99% of the box mods I see have zero appeal to me.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but one of the reasons I have never bought a box mod is that I feel they are just ugly. There is a big potential for builders to get creative, and I just haven't seen a single box that screamed BUY ME just yet.

I think there is an untapped market out there for someone with serious woodworking skills to sell ultra high end exotic wood box mods. Look at some cigar humidors for examples. Ripple or tiger striped maple with ebony inlay...stuff like that. Some of those things are be-au-tiful. I'm probably sounding like an elitist asshole, but the only way I would ever buy one is if it looked like a hand crafted piece of art.

99% of the box mods I see have zero appeal to me.

I look at tube mods the same way. Tubes just don't appeal to me, as a box mod does. It's not elitist, it preference.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Check this one out...posted it the other day in the vape mail thread.

I need to take a better photo of it, it's a beautiful piece. I'm a pro photographer, damnit! Got $20,000 in gear sitting behind me and I'm taking crappy cell phone pics.

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check this one out...posted it the other day in the vape mail thread.

I need to take a better photo of it, it's a beautiful piece. I'm a pro photographer, damnit! Got $20,000 in gear sitting behind me and I'm taking crappy cell phone pics.
Thats a sick mech. I was talking to a guy that had one made from the Damascus metal. He wanted a crazy amount of money for it. Beautiful but pricey.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Thats a sick mech. I was talking to a guy that had one made from the Damascus metal. He wanted a crazy amount of money for it. Beautiful but pricey.
Damascus steel is super expensive. This mod was $250, and that's pricey, but it's cheap for what it is. I've seen other ones for double that.

And sorry, didn't want to derail this guy's thread.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been playing around with mech mod ideas in my head lately too. Just ideas for now, it'll be a while til I can drop any more serious $ on a mod but the perfect unregulated box IMO would be:
1. Battery size and quantity - Dual 18650
2. Build type (Parrallel or Serial) - Parallel
3. Kill switch? Yes
4. Button and 510 connector position - I prefer offset 510 connector, preferably on the same side as the button. Side mounted button for sure I can't stand top buttons it just doesn't work for me ergonomically.
5. Access panel fastener type - Magnets all the way baby
6. Materials - Aluminum or wood
7. Decoration (Minimal or Other) - Minimal I prefer to choose my own flair for my mods
8. Mosfet, Resetable Fuses? - Mosfet for sure
9. Extras (Juice Compartment, Etc) - I'm with @freemind a voltmeter that is always visible would be very nice

George Harrier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
could someone please point me in the right direction. have been wanting to build a bottom feeder, but i cannot seem to find the parts for it anywhere!!! any links you could share would be great. (good quality) even a kit would suffice at this point
i have everything else /switch/mosfet/meter/resistor/. cannot seem to find the rest. thank you.

Dubmethod20

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@George Harrier check out http://www.fatdaddyvapes.com/shop.html pretty much everything you'd need to build a squonker.
Anywho
I've been really loving my noisy cricket lately. It's been in my hand more often than my rx200. Now I'm thinking my perfect box mod would be a serial squonker.

1. 2x18650
2. Series
3. No (killswitch)
4. Button & 510 on top
5. Magnetic back or slide piece
6. Ideally SS, brass or aluminum alloy
7. No decoration
8. No mosfet or fuses. Fully mechanical
9. Compartment for a squonk bottle

So that's pretty much my dream mod atm. I'm looking into reconfiguring either the tres equis clone or lethal clone. Both are 3 cell parallel mods. I'd like to convert either to a 2 cell parallel, replace the 510 with a fat daddy squonk kit and cut out a window to squeeze the bottle.
As I said I've been loving the noisy cricket only it came with a defective button. The insulator was made too short so the button auto fired. I swapped it with the button from my centipede, however, and now it works beautifully. More to that end I've ordered a caravela clone to use the top cap and button on the cricket. The aspect of a locking button on the cricket seems like a good idea and the top cap will allow me to use atomizers that would otherwise be unusable on the cricket (short 510 pins and hybrid top caps don't play well together). Anything threaded M20x1 should* fit in the cricket.
The rx200 has been treating me well. I was very happy when wismec upgraded the SS tc mode and added tcr function. Tcr is handy when SS mode won't work with some of my more ridiculous wire builds. Even in tcr, though, it's misread the coils and bumped me out to wattage. Overall though the things built like a brick and generally works great.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors