Become a Patron!

Soaked Wicks and Dry Hits

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just replaced my cotton, my coils are only a day old, I souked the F*CK out of it and pulsed a few times, wet it again, pulsed it again, wet it again, pulsed off the excess, put the cap on, took a half second test hit and clouded my room like Cheech and Chong hotbox a phone booth. After I got done almost throwing up from the burnt gym socks taste in my mouth, I popped off my cap, and my coils and cotton are still soaked. The f*ck??

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What atomizer on what kind of coils are you vaping on what mod at what wattage and what is the PG/VG of your juice?

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm. Soaked where you can see - but maybe dry inSIDE the coil?
If it's stuffed too tight, the cotton can't wick juice into the middle...
Just a guess - can't imagine too many other possibilities, though I'm sure there are some.
Fried insulator maybe? Crazy-assed hotspot?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What atomizer on what kind of coils are you vaping on what mod at what wattage and what is the PG/VG of your juice?
I don't like answering half of those questions because people yell at me Lmao

It's a hybrid mod with parallel single wire 24 gauge Kanthol A1 wrapped 12 times each on an Ohmega Stacked 18650 pushing 94.5 Watts through Ploom Fuel's Roolcage juice at 6mg; it doesn't tell me PG/VG on the bottle and neither did their website, I just checked.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the cotton isn't too tight, pull it anyways and check for hot spots. Nothing ruins a good vape like a mouthful of overheated metal flavor...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
12 wrap. dual 24 - that's like 0.5 ohms.
Wouldn't that be more like 130 watts with stacked batteries?

I don't like answering half of those questions because people yell at me Lmao

It's a hybrid mod with parallel single wire 24 gauge Kanthol A1 wrapped 12 times each on an Ohmega Stacked 18650 pushing 94.5 Watts through Ploom Fuel's Roolcage juice at 6mg; it doesn't tell me PG/VG on the bottle and neither did their website, I just checked.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm. Soaked where you can see - but maybe dry inSIDE the coil?
If it's stuffed too tight, the cotton can't wick juice into the middle...
Just a guess - can't imagine too many other possibilities, though I'm sure there are some.
Fried insulator maybe? Crazy-assed hotspot?
Agree....Sounds like a hot spot in the coil.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agree....Sounds like a hot spot in the coil.
I checked my coils for hot spots when I built them. Could treading the cotton cause a change in it? It's the only thing I could think that could have, both my coils were firing evenly with not hot spots when I screwed them into my deck.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I checked my coils for hot spots when I built them. Could treading the cotton cause a change in it? It's the only thing I could think that could have, both my coils were firing evenly with not hot spots when I screwed them into my deck.
It could, just pulsing the coils causes the wire to expand and contract. Usually retightening the coils before wicking solves that though.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could, just pulsing the coils causes the wire to expand and contract. Usually retightening the coils before wicking solves that though.

By retighten do you mean the screws or compressing the coils? Cuz I don't do that anymore, every time I do I get nothing BUT dry hits no matter HOW I wick or wet it. I leave my coils evenly spaced and only compress them enough to make sure they fit on my deck. Leaving spaces lets the juice get right through to the middle of the wick, which is why it REALLY doesn't make sense for me to be getting dry hits right now.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By retighten do you mean the screws or compressing the coils? Cuz I don't do that anymore, every time I do I get nothing BUT dry hits no matter HOW I wick or wet it. I leave my coils evenly spaced and only compress them enough to make sure they fit on my deck. Leaving spaces lets the juice get right through to the middle of the wick, which is why it REALLY doesn't make sense for me to be getting dry hits right now.
I meant retighten the grub screws.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oftentimes coils need to be retightened down because of contraction/expansion. If they aren't properly snug, the ohms jump all over the place and that would be very dangerous with that type of mod.

Second thought:

Where did you get the wire and/or coils?

Some pre-made coils and a lot of brands of kanthal come with all kinds of machine oil on the wire and need a great deal of dry pulsing to burn it all off before it is vapable - not just a few pulses.

You really gotta burn the fuck out of `em to get all the impurities out or you will taste it. Very gross and probably unhealthy

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oftentimes coils need to be retightened down because of contraction/expansion. If they aren't properly snug, the ohms jump all over the place and that would be very dangerous with that type of mod.

Second thought:

Where did you get the wire and/or coils?

Some pre-made coils and a lot of brands of kanthal come with all kinds of machine oil on the wire and need a great deal of dry pulsing to burn it all off before it is vapable - not just a few pulses.

You really gotta burn the fuck out of `em to get all the impurities out or you will taste it. Very gross and probably unhealthy
Yep, all of the above. Big reason why not only do I buy quality wire I also run them through the ultrasonic then I'll mount them.

Also something to check, make sure you wash your hands before handling the cotton. Oils and other daily grime from your fingers may be where you're getting the nasty flavor from.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, all of the above. Big reason why not only do I buy quality wire I also run them through the ultrasonic then I'll mount them.

Also something to check, make sure you wash your hands before handling the cotton. Oils and other daily grime from your fingers may be where you're getting the nasty flavor from.
I can't imagine so since tiny test hits create massive clouds. That seems more like cotton burning to me. I checked my grub screws, they're all tight.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I can't imagine so since tiny test hits create massive clouds.

Has nothing to do with machine oil on the wire, loose grub screws or dirty cotton

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't imagine so since tiny test hits create massive clouds. That seems more like cotton burning to me. I checked my grub screws, they're all tight.
If you have checked and it's not hot spots then it's your cotton/way you wicked, rewick.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you been building your own coils for a while?

Reason I ask, if you don't use enough wick it can burn easily at those high watts.

Have you pulled the wick out to see if-where it's actually burnt?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Has nothing to do with machine oil on the wire, loose grub screws or dirty cotton
This was in response to R055c0 saying the taste could be from the oils on my hands.
I just checked my coils, there's no hot spots.
When I build, I take half a line of bacon bits, cut it into quarters, fray it, roll it, thread it as far as it will go before it starts to bend my coil trying to pull more through, then I back it out just a bit so it isn't TOO too tight, and instead of clipping, I bed the excess cotton in my reservoir under my coils, and I soak it with a dropper full or more juice until I see NO cotton that isn't saturated. It's not my screws, it's not hotspots, I can see all the cotton all the way through my coils and none of it is dry. I use this same build, same amount of cotton and same saturation of juice every time I build, and this is the first time it's given me any problems. I'm rewicking it now.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you been building your own coils for a while?

Reason I ask, if you don't use enough wick it can burn easily at those high watts.

Have you pulled the wick out to see if-where it's actually burnt?
I did, and it was a weird pinkish color where it ran through the coil.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd recommend only having the tails of the cotton touch the deck, not cover it.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See how easy that was folks. Your wicking is all wrong. You want the inside of the coil in contact with wicking and the outside in contact with airflow. So more cotton in the coils and none directly under the coils.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See how easy that was folks. Your wicking is all wrong. You want the inside of the coil in contact with wicking and the outside in contact with airflow. So more cotton in the coils and none directly under the coils.
Yep

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, thanks :) I'll try that on my next build sonce I'm almost out of cotton and juice from trying to get this to a well working sweet spot lol

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BB06I8W.jpg

CjUBIFQ.jpg

VU Sponsors