Become a Patron!

Someone recommend a good RDA to start with

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Been doing RBA's for a while now and use kayfun in some form or fashion all the time. I've started to DIY my juice so I want an RDA to be able to test the flavors since I don't have my recipes quite worked out yet. So what I'm looking for is something that's dead nuts simple to set up and use and fairly inexpensive (clones are welcome)

Thanks for the help

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The IGO-L or -W's seem to be a great way into RDA's. They're cheap ($6-$10 US), and dependable. I still have the first three I bought and use them to test out new coil ideas before replicating them on more difficult RDA's. The only issue is that the stock air holes need to be drilled out, no adjustability.

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Get a Magma clone. It has, hands down, the best flavor production of any dripper I have used. It can be built single or double coil. It has adjustable airflow. It looks good. It is easy to build on. It holds a ton of juice for a dripper.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
good advice here i would plus one igo w or even igo m .

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
OK thanks for all the replies - quick follow up question though. Of the ones mentioned, which would not require me to drill out the air holes? I've never drilled any airholes out and typically don't care for a super airy draw. Considering that, would I be better off with something that has adjustable airflow?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
IGO-W no doubt. It's good, it's cheap, and it's more durable and reliable than most clones

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never ordered from them, which is the best shipping method? Looks like they offer a couple of different free methods or you can pay a few bucks.

Basically the same deal as FT or other Chinese vendors. The free SingPost is the "slow boat", best bet would probably be the EUB aka ePacket if you're in the USA. If you are not, I have no idea which would be best. ;)

I haven't ordered from them yet, but the guys on Vapeatron seem to like them better than FT.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Stillare has a 4mm I think it is adjustable so you can figure out how airy you want your draw. The Tobh has two sets of 3 holes and I actually prefer it's draw over my stillare but that is only my opinion.

Brianj

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Get a Kayfun
A real Kayfun
It'll never disappoint you

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I recommend the Tobh clone to all of my buddies who are starting out. The Magma clone is a close second.

The Magma as a starter? That thing is a PITA getting the wicking right because of the deep wells. Not a good starter IMO.

Tap'd from my LG G2

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great starter RDA is something that offers as many options as possible:

Be sure at the minimum, you get something with adjustable airflow. That way you can try everything from a tight draw to loose to see what your preference is. Single coil or dual coil option is nice too, maybe you will end up preferring flavor over vapor, or vice versa. Got to try different configurations until you know what works best for you. Hope that helps ;)

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recommend the Tobh clone to all of my buddies who are starting out. The Magma clone is a close second.
I forgot about the nTo
I forgot about the tobh.....Im going to order three of these from FT now..... Has a deep well.... 10 bucks..
1716603-5.jpg

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
I love my Magma clone. It's my favorite RDA, but it's also tricky if you don't understand it. It can get leaky on you and its not as easy to swap flavors. For what you're looking for I would say either the Zeneth V1 or V2. Adjustable airflow, easy to access posts, and it's really cheap.

Not a huge fan of the Patriot or fixed airhole devices, especially ones you need to drill out if this is going to be your first trip down RBA alley.

fibberwibber

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a patriot and Stillare and love both. If your going for simple and cheap get the patriot on fastech for like $6. I build a single coil on that and drilled the air hole a bit. I also grabbed a black stillare for 101vape for $20. The quality is much better (Infinite) but you have to build a dual coil.

If your thinking of going for the patriot you should also check out the deus mods colt RDA. Looks awesome, great build quality, nice deep drip well, reduced chamber for better flavor, and easy to build on with holes in the posts. $65-$70 authentic RDA.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's to test various juices then I'd recommend some cheap pmma RDAs. You can drill (or gouge with a small screw driver) air holes to your liking

shooter03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Agree 100% this is the way to go. Magma is a very close second and would be first if the draw was open more or if I could drill it out but in that regard the TOBH wins.

Jcc2k

Member For 4 Years
TOBH is a great starter RDA
Magma has a slight learning curve, but it's also an excellent choice.

Both look great on just about any 22mm mod. Can't go wrong with either one.

Crocky

Member For 4 Years
All good choices. I agree on the tobh. A solid starting rda. The deck is easy to build on, airflow is adjustable and just all around solid device.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having had a think, I change my mind on suggesting a cheapo as a starter dripper. In fact I wouldn't compromise build quality and everything else you need from a dripper for the sake of money. It would be better to have one decent one than a pile of drippers with broken screws, insulator issues, useless air flow... rust maybe?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As you can see, there'll never be a consensus. The best advise is to figure your budget, find out what's available within that range, and research the good and bad points of the ones YOU narrow down. You'll get more specific answers to your questions if you ask questions like, "Is a three hole post set up, or positive two hole block three post set up better?" Or, "How do RDA x and y compare?"

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Magma / TOBH / Quesar / Patriot

Any of these will be great and all around 20-25$ at most places

VU Sponsors