Become a Patron!

Something wrong with my taste buds? Custard...

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is it just my taste buds or do custard flavors have a weird spice to them? When I say spice I mean like an herb type flavor. Like oregano, basil, etc... I can't pinpoint any particular spice/herb, just tastes like spices.

I tried The Juicery Strawberry Custard and Pieces of Eight Boardwalk(vanilla custard flavor), they both have this same spice flavor. I've also tasted this same thing in Draco Vapor Sweet Sauce. I get the same taste from Classified Indulge, a vanilla custard pudding flavor.

Is it supposed to be like this? I've never eaten custard that had any spice to it so its a bit strange and I'm wondering if my taste buds can't process the flavoring correctly or something. All I know is its gross...

Flavors were vaped in a magma RDA.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is this flavors or store bought juices and if flavors what brand

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, what brands are you talking about. They were talking about Nirvana juices the other day on Mod Envy saying they had some type of spice like that to them.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If it is in all there flavors it could be only the pg, vg, or nic mix, and prolly from china most all china flavors have that spicy pungent note to them

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Liquids, not flavorings. Second paragraph I listed the liquids and brands. All US made liquids. 12mg nic, same as all my juices. It seems like anything with custard flavoring has this strong spice/herb flavor. I mean straight up like smoking the spice rack in the kitchen. I don't know whats going on. The liquids are steeped and not too old.

Is it just my taste buds or do custard flavors have a weird spice to them? When I say spice I mean like an herb type flavor. Like oregano, basil, etc... I can't pinpoint any particular spice/herb, just tastes like spices.

I tried The Juicery Strawberry Custard and Pieces of Eight Boardwalk(vanilla custard flavor), they both have this same spice flavor. I've also tasted this same thing in Draco Vapor Sweet Sauce. I get the same taste from Classified Indulge, a vanilla custard pudding flavor.

Is it supposed to be like this? I've never eaten custard that had any spice to it so its a bit strange and I'm wondering if my taste buds can't process the flavoring correctly or something. All I know is its gross...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just because its mixed in the US doesn't mean the juice maker didn't use china nic... just sayin.

Did custards not taste like they had spice in them before and now all of a sudden they do?
I know a lot of custards that I've tried usually have a little cinnamon or some spice in them to keep your taste buds awake.

I use butterscotch, creams and vanilla (there's the spice) to make a custard that I can vape all day. Straight custard starts to taste like nothing after a little while to me.

Last edited:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well being made in usa does not mean pg, vg, nic mix flavors are purchased in usa believe me I know. This is why I make my own and sell to friends and friends of friends. I know that Chinese juice smell and taste very well and many company's still make it and sell it and claim it's made in USA. The smell is just like I described above. Many of the seasoned vapors know it well.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Every custard type flavor I can remember has always tasted this way. It's similar to King's Crown - Bound by the Crown, but that liquid actually lists spice in the flavor profile.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you're going to find that in most all custards or they will lose taste quickly.

You can get some Cappella vanilla custard flavoring and a small vg/pg/nic setup mix at 20% to make your own custard juice for cheap that doesn't have any spice to it. Or add vanilla to your taste if you find that straight custard does the same thing for you as it does for me.

A lot of custard juices on the market use that flavoring so use that as a base and toss in a background note to round it off.

Super cheap and the amount of spice (if any) that you want.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every custard type flavor I can remember has always tasted this way. It's similar to King's Crown - Bound by the Crown, but that liquid actually lists spice in the flavor profile.

It's Capella Vanilla Custard - it has a very distinctive taste. I actually bought that juice, although I only DIY for the most part, and that is clearly the main flavor. I know the juice says there's a spice in it, but all I tasted was that custard and peach. This is a flavor you either love or hate, and a ton of juice makers use it.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tell you what since you make your own try TFA Bavarian 3% mixed with FA catalan cream 2% three days steep good 12 day much better and gets better after that. I have 11 who just keep trying to find better including me but it's not out there. Its a joke we have I always tell them go looking if you find one let me know I will clone it for you. Now if your a fruit lover forget it. This does not have a Tabacco base but it gives you the sensation for some mysterious reason. Also if you want to add flavors like maybe a little coconut or small amount of banana you can it makes a great base for most anything. Its just a great all day vape that we share and have for several years now. I buy 120 mil bottles of flavoring when ever they have it and inside of couple months I have to buy more. Most of my recipes are complicated ones but got lucky with this one I like the easy ones although have not found many very good. 12 Days you will find it has much more flavor and it will smooth out.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I've got a good one using 6 flavors and will post it in the recipes section as soon as my friends (victims) and I give it the final stamp of approval. Real close to finished with it. TFA bavarian is in there and catalan was in there. I give mine 3 weeks, I agree, the custardy types get much better at the 2 week point.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Liquids, not flavorings. Second paragraph I listed the liquids and brands. All US made liquids. 12mg nic, same as all my juices. It seems like anything with custard flavoring has this strong spice/herb flavor. I mean straight up like smoking the spice rack in the kitchen. I don't know whats going on. The liquids are steeped and not too old.
Lol, well that won't be the first time I missed something that was right before my eyes.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dustin, think about mixing your own. Around 250ml for like $30 including the 10ml, 5ml and a few 1ml syringes.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What flavorings would you suggest for creams, vanillas, strawberries, and custards? I hate to go from wasting a bunch of money on juices when I was buying without trying to buying a bunch of flavorings that suck. Is there even a custard flavoring that doesn't have that damn spice to it? What VG and PG bases are you using? I wouldn't be afraid of paying a premium for very clean neutral bases.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start with the nic, use vaperstek nic. If bull city vapor has vaperstek nic in stock, get it from them with their vg & pg... saves a couple bucks on shipping. If they don't have the nic, get the nic from vaperstek and the flavor + pg&vg from bull city.

Capella (Caps) vanilla custard is the most common custard and there is no spice.
You can get v1 or v2, v2 doesn't have diacetyl in it but it doesn't taste as good or as thick to me.
If you have been vaping custards, you have most likely been vaping diacetyl and your not dead yet.
People are very concerned because some people that inhale massive amounts of it in popcorn factories have come down with popcorn lung.
Google it, read about it, if you are concerned, get the v2 custard or flavourart custard.

I think the vaping community always needs the sky to be falling somewhere so that was the big deal in 2014. I think 2015 will be the year of the exploding box mods.

Anyway, get a few 15ml bottles of the custard, some flavor apprentice (TFA) bavarian cream, sweet cream, flavor west butterscotch if you want. Flavourart (FA) has a good custard also, it's not as heavy of a custard and has a little lemon note to it. HeadInClouds has a review of flavourart's different creams in the review section that is worth looking at, he points out the differences and what type of mixes they would go best in.

The flavors are only a couple bucks each so browse through their stuff and see what interests you.

For strawberry, capella sweet strawberry, flavor apprentice ripe Strawberry, maybe add flavourart strawberry. The flavor apprentice is "signature" on e cigarette express' website. That's another good source for flavors as bull city still does not have their inventory bulked up... they seem to be out of a lot of stuff. But i like their vg&pg and they sell vaperstek nic. Very important that you get the vaperstek nic.

There are a few strawberry custard recipes to try out in the recipes section too. Some complicated, some easy like flavor apprentice strawberries and cream + caps vanilla custard to more complex with multiple creams and coconut added.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Order these, you will use more of these than the big ones.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0082CMENY

Get 1x 10ml syringe and 2x 5ml syringes from wherever you are ordering from. A few bottles if you don't want to clean out your old ones.

Start with small 10ml mixes till you find one you like and make a bigger 30 to 60 ml bottle.
Take notes, stay organized. Label the bottles so you know whats what.
Let them sit for a couple three weeks to steep. Shake often.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For strawberry, capella sweet strawberry, flavor artist ripe Strawberry, maybe add flavourart strawberry. The flavor artist is "signature" on e cigarette express' website. .

Just to be clear, TFA (the flavor apprentice) is EcigExpress Signature series - Flavor Art is listed as such :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry... flavor apprentice... not artist... what Amanda said :D
Corrected.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bull city has a clean TFA Bavarian cream and a clean FA catalan cream they carry both versions of the Bavarian and the clean version is very good.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, and both sites are very good at having warnings all over the flavors that have diacetyl in them... those are the ones I look for :eek:
(Kidding... not really)

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the detailed response. DIY is probably going to be my best bet since I'm so picky anyway. I've tried probably more than 500 juices from several "top" vendors and I only really like about 30 of them, only love about 10.

I'm not worried about diketones, I've read several hours of info on the subject and I'm perfectly fine with the "possible" risk. I'll start getting a list together and read through the forums. Does bull city vapor ship quick?

One last thing, do you steep your juices in an ultrasonic or croc pot at all or just mix and wait on everything? Thanks again

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did heat steep once and it didn't taste good after. It was a known recipe so I haven't bothered since. I just put it away in a dark place in the house and open it to vent every few days and shake it... when I can think about it.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did heat steep once and it didn't taste good after. It was a known recipe so I haven't bothered since. I just put it away in a dark place in the house and open it to vent every few days and shake it... when I can think about it.
I imagine that after a good long time if its high vg maybe some yummy tasting bacteria wll start growing and it will be delicious kinda like that cheese the maggot infested cheese that they eat well I think the worms eat the cheese then poop it out then you eat it... Its against the law here in the US

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forgot... both bull city and ecigexpress both ship within a day from my experience.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The spiciness could just be the nicotine your tasting. Light flavors like custards you can really taste it. When I vape 3 mg I can't taste the spiciness any more.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the detailed response. DIY is probably going to be my best bet since I'm so picky anyway. I've tried probably more than 500 juices from several "top" vendors and I only really like about 30 of them, only love about 10.

I'm not worried about diketones, I've read several hours of info on the subject and I'm perfectly fine with the "possible" risk. I'll start getting a list together and read through the forums. Does bull city vapor ship quick?

One last thing, do you steep your juices in an ultrasonic or croc pot at all or just mix and wait on everything? Thanks again
Yes they ship very fast now here is perfect example that I still can't figure. I tried them for the first time and made an order on the 24 dec, 25th Christmas day received it the 26th. Go figure. Now I hear they are in a move so not so sure how fast they will deliver.

Al_T

Member For 4 Years
Lol Dustin I want to love custard so bad but I feel your pain. I keep saying that about this one line of juices as well and I am the only one tasting it for some reason.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually I do, I put extremely hot sauce that would make most people freak out in almost half of what I cook. Probably aboy 75% of what I eat is spicy in some way. Maybe it really did alter my taste buds, I can't even sense any spicyness in some things people say are hot.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I imagine that after a good long time if its high vg maybe some yummy tasting bacteria wll start growing and it will be delicious kinda like that cheese the maggot infested cheese that they eat well I think the worms eat the cheese then poop it out then you eat it... Its against the law here in the US
Do you mean this: Mimolette http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimolette
I currently live in Germany and a friend from work brought some in . It really is a potetnt but delicious cheese. you dont eat the rind or like an eigth of an inch in past the rind. and I don't think its illegal any more. Gooogled it, and articles say the ban has been lifted.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you mean this: Mimolette http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimolette
I currently live in Germany and a friend from work brought some in . It really is a potetnt but delicious cheese. you dont eat the rind or like an eigth of an inch in past the rind. and I don't think its illegal any more. Gooogled it, and articles say the ban has been lifted.
No I mean wormn cheese maggots eat it then poop out the cheese you eat the cheese

Casu Marzu

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have this strange desire to eat just one cracker fulll of those liltte bastards poop cheesers hahaha

knock yerself out, hon. i'll pass tyvm.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, so you don't like custards. Thank you for your opinion and helpful insight :confused:
I do like custard made right if you re- read what I said I said some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
knock yerself out, hon. i'll pass tyvm.
@kelli help me make it all make sense. So I can smoke a leaf with thousands of bad things in it they want to stop me from Vaping that has much less supposed bad things but to top it off in the USA cannot eat cheese made my 1 maggot. It makes no sense what's next plug my ass I'm not allowed to shit. Ohh dear ok WTF

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@kelli help me make it all make sense. So I can smoke a leaf with thousands of bad things in it they want to stop me from Vaping that has much less supposed bad things but to top it off in the USA cannot eat cheese made my 1 maggot. It makes no sense what's next plug my ass I'm not allowed to shit. Ohh dear ok WTF

you're asking me to help you make sense of something??? are you new here???

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I got my DIY supplies in and started experimenting with cap vanilla custard v1. Vapers tek nic.

Started with 10% vanilla custard at 65/35 vg/pg with 12mg nic. I tasted that same type of spice flavor, but nowhere near as strong. I remembered hearing people talk about how clean the VT nic was and started wondering if it might be the nic I'm tasting since this test was less spicy.

Decided to mix another test at 50/50 with 6mg nic, same 10% vanilla custard. Big drop in the spicy taste. More of a sweet caramelized flavor. Almost like a cinnamon and sugar type flavor, but definitely not cinammon.

So apparently that weird spice I was tasting was the nic, it just tastes different in a custard flavor apparently. Not the normal black pepper taste, so this is something new to me. Amazing how bad the nic quality is in some of these custard juices.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have heard that low-quality nicotine liquid can taste "spicy" or "peppery".

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've definitely tasted low quality "peppery" nic. This was just so different in custards, never tasted that before. Seems custards are a strange flavor that let you taste the nic in a different way. Figured I'd post my findings in case anyone else comes across this.

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bringing up this older thread... Didnt wanna start a new one.

So i got some white label juice co blueberry pancakes in. I taste no flavors from it... Its just peppery and leaves a wierd taste in the mouth. Wondering how to get rid of the pepper. Its all i got to vape for the week...

Try 5150 premium Vape fluid...STR8JACKET... Oak barrel salted butterscotch custard... No weird spice... Also psychosis, it's a upside down tangerine cheesecake... Go to www.5150eliquid.com

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
None of mine have a peppery taste this comes from stale pg, or pg with nic, This is why I buy mine from a place that makes pg,vg, and nic per order. This is the simplest solution to your problem. Just give your juices a sniff test before you mix and solve the mystery.

VU Sponsors