Become a Patron!

Sony 18650 VTC5 Dies Quick With Kayfun V5?

I'm trying to figure out why my Sony VTC5 battery dies very quick with my new Kayfun V5.

No shorts that I'm aware
My coil reads .7/.8 ohms

I don't get it. I should get around 350 puffs on it according to steam-engine.org but I'm only getting about 40-60 hits before the battery is down to 3.6 volts.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

I'm not positive that it is a genuine vtc5 because I bought it off of eBay.. it does look identical though.

I'm using the kayfun v5 mod with 28g kanthal.

It does take a few seconds to start warming up (3 seconds), then a few more seconds to be burning hot. Total of about 5 seconds until it's really hittable.

Something else I've noticed on my mod is that when the voltage on battery reads 3.8v, the coil is only getting 2.6v. What would cause this?

Thanks for the replies.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kayfun is the atomizer not the mod/power source.
A mechanical mod? If so you need to clean some contacts or something to reduce the voltage drop.

Sorry I thought I put that in too I've got the chi you mod.

I'll try cleaning the contact points off. This is a brand new set up but I'll check them.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not positive that it is a genuine vtc5 because I bought it off of eBay.. it does look identical though.

Fakes can be hard to spot, and there are a lot on ebay. The VTC5 is notorious for being faked.

I'm using the kayfun v5 mod with 28g kanthal.

It does take a few seconds to start warming up (3 seconds), then a few more seconds to be burning hot. Total of about 5 seconds until it's really hittable.

Unless your using multiple strands, it shouldn't take that long.

Something else I've noticed on my mod is that when the voltage on battery reads 3.8v, the coil is only getting 2.6v. What would cause this?

It adjusts voltage to the wattage you set. Or if your wattage isn't adjustable, it bases voltage off the resistance of the coil. It's normal.

I'm suspecting the battery.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Disregard the last part of my post. I was assuming things again lol.

So yeah, what @The Cromwell said: dirty contacts, bad connection, voltage drop.

And if you are familiar with mechs you are aware that the vape quality will drop off fairly fast anyway in a mech as the voltage in the battery drops.
The apparent high voltage drop in your mech mod is making this tendency worse.

Thank you all for your help. I found the issue.

The bottom of the atomizer on the kayfun was slightly loose at the pin.. I screwed the pin up real tight and damn it hits nice with great flavor!

I also took a few wraps off to drop the ohms to .5 and now when I take a 2 second puff it's the same as a 7/8 second hit before!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you all for your help. I found the issue.

The bottom of the atomizer on the kayfun was slightly loose at the pin.. I screwed the pin up real tight and damn it hits nice with great flavor!

I also took a few wraps off to drop the ohms to .5 and now when I take a 2 second puff it's the same as a 7/8 second hit before!
That's the shizz right there! Glad you figured it out.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Something else to look at on the kf5 - this applies to all rbas but the kf5 can have issues on certain builds.
Make sure your post screws are good and wrenched down on your coil leads. Also make sure none of the coil or leads are touching the chimney. On the mech you want to especially make sure you're not shorting the coil.
Additionally, make sure you have no battery rattle and making a good solid connection from switch through through the 510 to avoid arcing.

VU Sponsors