Become a Patron!

Source Code Purple Potion Clone

This isn't a real high profile e-liquid company, but I'm hoping someone can come up with a recipe for "Purple Potion" by Source Code. Their website says it's... "A refreshing mix of pomegranite and lychee" (funny... I always thought it was spelled "pomegranate", but I could be wrong...). I have a few different brands of both pomegranate and lychee flavors, and I've tried it with other flavors added, different sweeteners, etc, but I just can't get this one right. I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what. No matter what combination I try, there's just something missing. It tastes, smells, and vapes like a fairly simple flavor combo, but it has to be "just right" to work, and I'm just not getting it. Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just finished off a bottle of Purple Potion but haven't tried to mix it. My best guess it that it is about 3/4 Pomegranate (I spell it this way, too) and 1/4 Lychee. To me the Lychee was just in the background. Too much Lychee tastes floral to me. I'd try:
4-5% TFA Pom (just 'cause I know I've got that one)
1.75 - 2.5% Lychee
1% Pineapple (for sweetness & to smooth the tartness of Pom but keep the crispness of the fruits.)

Good luck.

Humm... Pineapple, eh? That could be. I'll give that a shot. If you come up with anything, please post it. This one's driving me nuts!
Thanks.

Well, the pineapple gets it close, but I still get "blue" when I smell/taste it, and when I try the original, my brain says "green". I know, I know... Those are colors not flavors, but that's seriously what my brain says. Anyone else get colors from smells?

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe I was wrong about the Lychee. If you bump it up a tad, it should take away some of that dark "blue"/purple bite that the Pom is giving you and add a touch of lighter/brighter flavor. Or, if you feel it needs a bit more punch, you might try a similar flavor to Pom- maybe a drop of cranberry? Pom & Cranberry are interchangeable in lots of stuff. I can almost bet that Source Code kept the recipe pretty basic. They're new and this was one of their first releases. You're probably closer than you think. You'll get it, you're getting closer. I know what you mean when you say taste/smell colors. I think in light/bright/dark/contrasts, etc.

Any suggestion of Lychee flavor? I have Capella Sweet Lychee, FA Lychee, and a Lychee I got in a sample pack from Liquid Barn that I personally think smells and tastes like a combination of bad perfume and dirt. It's terrible! (IMHO) Anyway, I tried going over a bit more with the sweet lychee, which I *thought* was the right flavor, but it seems to be getting way too sweet. I'm also thinking that the capella pomegranate V2 is the right pom, but maybe with more lychee the TFA pom I liked originally, but seemed way too blue, will work. Lychee of any kind has always been a problem for me to mix. It always seems way too floral, but then all of the sudden you add another drop and it will go from "Eww...Flower shop..." to "Wow! That's it!" I always have a terrible time with Lychee. All I know for sure is I'm still not smelling "green". Maybe I'll try a bit more pineapple. I'm totally shooting in the dark now...

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@arttd ***Caution*** Step Away From the Mixing Lab :eek:
I have no clue about what Lychee... I can't stand it. It looks nasty, it smells nasty and it has always tasted nasty to me. Like you said, "bad perfume". More pineapple is going to make it sweeter, too. Your 'taster' should be totally wore out by now. Seriously, probably the best thing you can do today is to take a break, let it sit, and rethink/taste tomorrow. Really fruity, floral-y things tend to be better after sitting a day or so anyway. Besides, I feel like I've led you down into the quicksand. I'd feel a lot better knowing that you were not pulling your hair out tonight.

@Huckleberried - Any ideas? Suggestions?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
first.. what flavor company are you using?

next.. in the lychee catagory.. its a yellow.. so think pineapple, kiwi, lychee, yellow fruits.. ;)

when using lychee, depending on flavor company, cap is what i have.. try it from 2% and work up..
find your happy spot before blending with anything else.. so you can gauge what it is you are tasting..
take notes, lots of those.. make a big batch, so over time, you can pull out test samples..

get to know your flavors before spinning around and just guessing.. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Mommay, I've not tried Lychee yet, so I wouldn't be any help. I think you made good suggestions. Stepping away is sometimes the best thing to do, then revisit. Thanks for thinking of me, though :)

VU Sponsors