VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

I have never been a fan of vaping nickel. Vapers will tell you that I think temp control is nothing but a fad. As a new vaper many years ago I was told nickel is dangerous and never to vape on it. For some reason, that changed. Smokie901 showed me this video and I think it makes an excellent case against vaping nickel. I am not trying to tell vapers what they should or should not vape but I think you should have all the information. With the vapers rising up against juice companies not disclosing diacetyl - it amazes me nothing has been said about this. So I think it's time we draw some attention to this. Come to your own conclusions - personally I never vaped nickel and will never vape nickel.

YC53SzPF1kY

Click here to get more information on this deal....

1ne2woBe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you so much for some information regarding this! I have never vaped nickle (such as yourself), although I use boxes that are capable of running nickle. I thought it would be a pretty cool thing to try. However, now after watching the video you have provided... I am gonna stick to what I enjoy, know what's best, and stick with kanthal. Pretty much, don't try to fix what's not broken... really.

Thanks again Joe!

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so what is the current consensus on TC then? just never use it? Titanium? Unobtanium?

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ostensibly, nickel is "safe to vape" as long as it isn't heated beyond the ~800°F threshold, which is well above the upper temperature limit for TC devices.

Still, I find it interesting that there is far more scientific data out there to corroborate theories of potential health risks resulting from inhalation of any sort of nickelvapor than there is evidence to support similar adverse effects from inhaling tiny doses of diketones. Not sure why the latter concern seems to be of paramount importance to so many vapers.

My theory is that diketones can be safely vaped, but only at temperatures exceeding 600°F on pure nickel wire with a silica wick in a brass tank with a lead content of no less than 6%

Yep. We are the research, people.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
retrox, nice -- i was trying to find the temp that nickel gave off the hazardous shiz. whats a source on that number?

TwitchVaperMVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's like any other metal: vape it too hot, and it can produce nasty stuff. Besides, there's nickel wire in every pre-made coil ever made. They use it for non-resistance leads. It may not be heating up as much, but the fact of the matter is that we've all been vaping juice that's come in contact with, or been vaporized by nickel since the beginning with no ill effects thus far. Remember, this is harm reduction, not harm eradication.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another viewpoint, http://www.wakeandvape.com/blog/regarding-nickel-concerns/

I can't be that worried, I inhale cadmium and probably nickel for work. I'll let science figure it out. I think I like Ti better anyway just because it has more resistance making it easier to deal with fitting in.
I don't think TC is a fad. And as long as there are junk scientists burning CE4's there will be a call for it, possibly even regulatory requirements.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think TC is a fad. And as long as there are junk scientists burning CE4's there will be a call for it, possibly even regulatory requirements.

Yes, that right there. I expect at some point the PTB will mandate TC to protect us from ourselves ... facepalm.gif

Reactions: Myk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah, it's that internet would-be scientist in his basement who scared himself reading articles on Wikipedia.

Nothing to see here, folks...

mstave

Member For 4 Years

I have never been a fan of vaping nickel. Vapers will tell you that I think temp control is nothing but a fad. As a new vaper many years ago I was told nickel is dangerous and never to vape on it. For some reason, that changed. Smokie901 showed me this video and I think it makes an excellent case against vaping nickel. I am not trying to tell vapers what they should or should not vape but I think you should have all the information. With the vapers rising up against juice companies not disclosing diacetyl - it amazes me nothing has been said about this. So I think it's time we draw some attention to this. Come to your own conclusions - personally I never vaped nickel and will never vape nickel.

YC53SzPF1kY

Click here to get more information on this deal....
Seriously? We are supposed to get valid science from a vape shop owner who repeats stuff he read on the Internet? Joe, I realize you have some beef with Evolv, but try to use quality information.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And the bad thing is they'll limit the temperature. I don't know if that will be an issue, they won't care.
Followed by sites to download hacked firmware to reflash your chip. That will be banned from discussion at ECF.:)

Reactions: Myk

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, it's that internet would-be scientist in his basement who scared himself reading articles on Wikipedia.

Nothing to see here, folks...
Think we both went through this already, eh? Lol

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also we all vaped ni200 when we started all premade coils use nickel for lead legs and the wire is heated almost as much as the nicrome ita welded to.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also we all vaped ni200 when we started all premade coils use nickel for lead legs and the wire is heated almost as much as the nicrome ita welded to.

very good point.

BigDaddyQ

Member For 4 Years
Why is this a thing AGAIN? This was addressed ages ago when that video surfaced. The only video posted by the author. Who locked out comments to his video from the get go to prevent anyone disputing it with facts. Who used inaccurate and misrepresented information throughout the video. Who started his video off by showing us all what a ego was, which I find humorous considering the premade coil he showed most likely used ni200 fused leads in the coil construction. If you actually watch the video, it's actually amusing how bad it is and how misinformed the author is. But yeah, let's keep fearmongering the innovation of vape products and give more and more ammunition to the anti vaping zealots and politicians to use against us. It's really getting old. We went through similar "dangers of using" back when we started using kanthal too. Can we please stop playing up this bull?

Fear mongering at it's best. A bunch of fears and no information. Nichrome would leach as much as pure nickel would. Lack of information isn't enough information to condemn a product. People are being as stupid about temp control as they were about VW when it came out. "Oh, it's a fad, no one needs VW we have VV and can calculate the watts ourselves." Same bullshit.
Temp control is the greatest advancement in vaping since VW and not only is it here to stay, it's still getting better. Granted it would be nice if they had done more conclusive testing before they (Evolv) released it initially but we are beyond that now.. Over time we'll get any kinks worked out, meanwhile I'm happy to guinea pig them for you. I've been using mostly Ti01 for my recent builds and am happy with it so far anyway.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And at least with TC the temp is limited. That said I prefer Ti, but mainly because it's a lot easier to work with and maintain.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I tend to immediately discount any Youtuber who presents a potentially controversial view on a hot-button topic and then proceeds to shut down the comment section to "keep the discussion where it belongs."

You may as well stick an ad for ECF up on your blog next, Joe. :p

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee