Become a Patron!

Squonker suggestions

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello all, I am a mech addict but recently this squonking thing has caught my attention. My question is what is a good starter setup? User friendly, preferably mechanical, I already have an armageddon apocalypse rda so I can get a bf pin and use that for my rda, so I really just need the mod. I'm not shy on spending cash on my mods but I would like to keep it reasonable, so tell me what would you suggest?

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't go wrong with a Reo. Even if you manage to screw it up - which is near impossible - you can buy parts or have it repaired for you. Costs more, but you only have to buy it once.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
REO is an excellent first squonker - it is the gold standard and only a handful of specialty modders have been able to one-up it

The P67 model accommodates atties up to 25mm - but are hard to come by. The last time he put a batch up for sale, I was half an hour late coming to the show and missed the whole thing :eek:

He has plenty of LP Grands on the site, but do know there will be atty overhang on the platform with an Armageddon

robert.conley.1656

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you truly think squonking is the way to go, and it is, get a REO. Awesome device!!! Customer service second to none. Really. Call the man. Robert and Todd are straight up dudes, would vouch a billion times over!!! If for any reason you don't love your REO, they are very easy to sell

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+1 for Reo being a first-timer, bombproof and has good safety with a locking button / spring.
I think if I had started squonking with some of the stuff available now I wouldn't be as attached as I am; Reosmods changed my life over 4 years ago and I've never left squonking, even to the point where I'm building them myself.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
+1 for Reo being a first-timer, bombproof and has good safety with a locking button / spring.
I think if I had started squonking with some of the stuff available now I wouldn't be as attached as I am; Reosmods changed my life over 4 years ago and I've never left squonking, even to the point where I'm building them myself.

^^^ Just waiting for the right color combo so show up myself. ;)

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow so reo it is, they seem really nice. Do you know how big the slightly recessed 510 connection is? I also have a kennedy 22 that I can get a bf pin for I'm pretty sure, but I'd like it to be flush and matchy. Thanks all for your responses looking into getting a reo.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ooh, someone needs to dig up the site for the Woodville REOs - nice and flush, serious one-of-a-kind works of art

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow so reo it is, they seem really nice. Do you know how big the slightly recessed 510 connection is? I also have a kennedy 22 that I can get a bf pin for I'm pretty sure, but I'd like it to be flush and matchy. Thanks all for your responses looking into getting a reo.

All Reos are now made with adjustable 510's so getting it to sit flush shouldn't be a problem unless there is something unusually different about the 510 on your atty.

If there is anything on the Reosmods site that is out of stock - like the pending P67's use that "Notify when back in stock" option. It actually does function on his site. You can always give Rob a call too if there is a color combo you are looking for you don't see on the site. Rob never does any of that pre-order deposit crap, but he can turn out options really fast.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Play some hockey with it, use it for a jack stand, sometimes as a hammer, self-defense.....
The list. It's endless.

He's really not kidding though. This is one of the best things for rough work sites. You might crap the paint finish but you have to work really hard at it to break one.

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All Reos are now made with adjustable 510's so getting it to sit flush shouldn't be a problem unless there is something unusually different about the 510 on your atty.

I mean it looks as if there is a slight recession on the mod where the atty would go idk if my pin will make contact with the 510 pin maybe I'm seeing it wrong

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I mean it looks as if there is a slight recession on the mod where the atty would go idk if my pin will make contact with the 510 pin maybe I'm seeing it wrong

As long as you are looking at the LP (low profile) models it's barely there. Just a slight recess - enough to 'catch' an o-ring should you use one to prevent the o-ring from getting out of place. And again, the center pin is fully height adjustable.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

The 510 on the REO is adjustable

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok sorry I misunderstood, thanks again for all the help. Now to find the right color combo, I have a green camo and a copper cap for my apocalypse so my options should be decent. Looking forward to getting into squonking.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok sorry I misunderstood, thanks again for all the help. Now to find the right color combo, I have a green camo and a copper cap for my apocalypse so my options should be decent. Looking forward to getting into squonking.

Looking forward to having you around!

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
About the 510 height adjustment: The grub screw used for the center post height is reverse threaded. It's turn left to lower, right to raise. That's on purpose so you can't screw or unscrew your 510 adjustment when you screw your atty on/off.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
About the 510 height adjustment: The grub screw used for the center post height is reverse threaded. It's turn left to lower, right to raise. That's on purpose so you can't screw or unscrew your 510 adjustment when you screw your atty on/off.

Screw
Sorry. I tease my wife all the time.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

You can always buy extra doors too if you want to switch up colors. :devil: :D

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can always buy extra doors too if you want to switch up colors. :devil: :D

OMG this just reminded me of my favorite thing about the Reos..... that door and the magnets... *schlick*
So satisfying.
You really can dress them up! Superlight doors, solid, sparkly, bare....

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may have.

Somewhere in SAB between brewbear asserting his dominance and me trying to diffuse the situation with car parts :giggle:
There was also something about a wanko....

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah - solved - you need the Reo Grand LP, which doesn't have that recess.
But it does still have a square "landing deck" which a 22mm atty will overhang.
That's one of the things I consider an improvement in the Reo P67 (batch coming next month) - it's a flat top, and I like that better for 22mm atties.
TONS of people put 22's on a Grand, I just happen to also love a couple tiny atties (18mm and 16mm) so they go on the Grand, and don't overhang that deck. It's not OCD, it's just my preference, lol.

L-->R
Reo P67; Reo Grand; Reo Woodvil

upload_2017-4-25_21-24-3.png

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the woodvil one a little wider, it seems so in the picture. I'm a little picky about matching and flush I'd like the atty to sit flush everywhere but I suppose I can't be too picky seeing as its recommended by so many here.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is the woodvil one a little wider, it seems so in the picture. I'm a little picky about matching and flush I'd like the atty to sit flush everywhere but I suppose I can't be too picky seeing as its recommended by so many here.

The P67 will accommodate up to 24mm without overhang

robert.conley.1656

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't forget to get some deoxit (gold?) For the connections. Helps minimize arcing and damage to the firing pin.
Also if you want a shorter throw, get button top batteries.
And I recommend a button cover. The firing button is a little uncomfortable without it, my opinion of course.
If your a button masher, you might want to also consider the heavy duty contact.
And it's also not a bad idea to have a couple extra springs. No matter how careful you are, shorts happen and collapse the spring. I usually drop one a year. The replacement springs are, of course, totally optional, I am just really good at breaking stuff

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Woodvil is a little larger all around. But lighter. Because, wood.
:D

PS - I agree, a Grand needs a button cover...

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So would the woodvil allow my apocalypse to sit flush all around or should I just go with the kennedy? My other rda that may work on a grand is the vape breed atty v1 but not sure there's a bf pin for it. It's 23mm though so that may still not work.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So would the woodvil allow my apocalypse to sit flush all around or should I just go with the kennedy? My other rda that may work on a grand is the vape breed atty v1 but not sure there's a bf pin for it. It's 23mm though so that may still not work.

I'm e-mailing back and forth regarding the Woodvil that devil woman @JuicyLucy tricked me into buying. (#10 is gone thanks to Lucy...) I'll ask Wayne for you.

I'm assuming you don't want to overhang into the rounded edges on a Woodvil?

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
He should send me a commission

Pyramid scheme, something like Amway? I'm getting him the atty info directly from Wayne so I think that makes me your sales associate.

Lordy that #10 is gorgeous - Wayne sent me more pictures because I couldn't see how it transitioned colors from back to front.

Unfortunately, for a several weeks now every time I try to upload stuff to VU I get an error message no matter what the file size. :cuss2:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Pyramid scheme, something like Amway? I'm getting him the atty info directly from Wayne so I think that makes me your sales associate.

Lordy that #10 is gorgeous - Wayne sent me more pictures because I couldn't see how it transitioned colors from back to front.

Unfortunately, for a several weeks now every time I try to upload stuff to VU I get an error message no matter what the file size. :cuss2:

No pix, it ain't happening :giggle:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Ok, I just played with my 2015 version. For what you want - OCD-wise - you won't have any overhang issues up to 22 mm. But:

The 510 is somewhat off center in a Woodvil. For strength purposes it's centered in the body of the Woodvil itself, out of context of the door. So on the rear of the Woodvil a 22 mm won't overhang, but on the front side you could easily go up to 24 mm without overhang - however the 24 mm would overhang the back side.

And if I could figure out what the damned problem is as to why I can't upload images that would make even more sense.

VU Sponsors